stanchion repair

markw83

Sep 4, 2004
hey guys
i had to warranty my fork, and while at the warranty dealer, the fork was totally messes up. i had to send it back a second time to actually get it fixed because the mechanic who did the fork, really killed it. while this shabby mechanic worked on my fork the first time, he scratched my stanchion. it was never fixed. no one at manitou will help me out. i will be starting a thread about this soon to let everyone know about this horrible exerience. in the mean time, does anyone have any techniques i may used to remove or repair the small ding in my shermans stanchions? any help will be appreciated!! thanks guys!
user_online.gif

Fixing a ding in the stanchion is going to be very hard. The problem will be reproducing that super-smooth, super-hard finish.

If the ding is big enough to possibly be pulled out, there probably isn't a way to pull it flat without doing a fair bit of damage to the surrounding surface area. Not like you are going to get an autobody facing hammer to pound out the backside of the dent. I cannot imagine there would be enough surface area to use suction. There are tools that appy pressure rollers over rounded surfaces, but you have to clamp them on pretty hard, which would likely scuff/damage the surrounding surface area to.

If the ding is pretty small, lets say like the mechanic's wrench slipped, well, usually something that small would be filled with some type of substance (cheap autobody shops would use Bondo), the area that is filled sanded, the area around sanded, then the area refinished, feathering the new finish into the surrounding area. Problem is that finish is going to be hard to match.

If the manufacturer is not willing to warrenty it, I think you really have 3 options. Live with the ding by the replacement parts or buy a new fork.

Sorry to hear about your frustration.

Cheers,
Juba

Juba said:
Fixing a ding in the stanchion is going to be very hard. The problem will be reproducing that super-smooth, super-hard finish.

If the ding is big enough to possibly be pulled out, there probably isn't a way to pull it flat without doing a fair bit of damage to the surrounding surface area. Not like you are going to get an autobody facing hammer to pound out the backside of the dent. I cannot imagine there would be enough surface area to use suction. There are tools that appy pressure rollers over rounded surfaces, but you have to clamp them on pretty hard, which would likely scuff/damage the surrounding surface area to.

If the ding is pretty small, lets say like the mechanic's wrench slipped, well, usually something that small would be filled with some type of substance (cheap autobody shops would use Bondo), the area that is filled sanded, the area around sanded, then the area refinished, feathering the new finish into the surrounding area. Problem is that finish is going to be hard to match.

If the manufacturer is not willing to warrenty it, I think you really have 3 options. Live with the ding by the replacement parts or buy a new fork.

Sorry to hear about your frustration.

Cheers,
Juba
WOW I thought I had preoblems jsut getting a service manual from manitou!