Stand-up-and-Pedal-Recumbent

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Lb, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Lb

    Lb Guest

    Has anyone ever tried to engineer a recumbent that you could somehow stand up and pedal for hill
    climbing? Can it be done? That would be the perfect hybrid right? Comfort on the flats; power on the
    hills. LBJ [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Yes

    George Reynolds...Reynolds Weld Labs

    Prototype/Expermental Only

    Model name: Redundant

    Inc 1-800-586-6645 "LB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Has anyone ever tried to engineer a recumbent that you could somehow stand up and pedal for hill
    > climbing? Can it be done? That would be the perfect hybrid right? Comfort on the flats; power on
    > the hills. LBJ [email protected]

  3. Tom Blum

    Tom Blum Guest

    Search "Joe Kochanowski" . He has done it. It's homebuilt, but there is a video clip of him
    transfering from one method to the other.

    --
    Miles of Smiles,

    Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone

    www.gate.net/~teblum

  4. Jkeenan

    Jkeenan Guest

    Check out a video called "Wind In My Soul" which you can find at Northeast Recumbents. It was made
    by a member of the MARS club and in it there is a "convertible" made by someone in Europe. Looked
    like it worked remarkably well.

    joe 'recumbo' keenan "LB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Has anyone ever tried to engineer a recumbent that you could somehow stand up and pedal for hill
    > climbing? Can it be done? That would be the perfect hybrid right? Comfort on the flats; power on
    > the hills. LBJ [email protected]

  5. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

  6. ..Maybe , something like a seat-pedal system rotating around an axis..?

    "LB" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email protected]...
    > Has anyone ever tried to engineer a recumbent that you could somehow stand up and pedal for hill
    > climbing? Can it be done? That would be the perfect hybrid right? Comfort on the flats; power on
    > the hills. LBJ [email protected]

  7. Dean Arthur

    Dean Arthur Guest

    Let's see - 25 psi on upright pedals when seated; 1/2 body weight when standing versus approx 2.2
    times body weight when seated with back against seatback. Yup I guess upright and standing is more
    powerful, right?

  8. Lb

    Lb Guest

    Yup I guess upright and standing is more powerful,
    > right?
    Yup, that's right.

  9. Jon Meinecke

    Jon Meinecke Guest

    LB wrote:
    >Yup, that's right.

    Define powerful.

    In terms of 'leg press strength' it seems recumbent bikes with rigid seats would have an advantage
    over upright bikes... In terms of why uprights may be better for going up hill, 'leg press strength'
    probably isn't the only factor.

    This is a recurring thread.

    Google "Riding and climbing tests" for some interesting discussion.

    Jon Meinecke

  10. Dean Arthur

    Dean Arthur Guest

    "Tongue-In-Cheek" - upright and standing more powerful than 'bent with back against seatback. Right?

  11. Lb

    Lb Guest

    > "Tongue-In-Cheek" - upright and standing more powerful than 'bent with back against
    > seatback. Right?
    Dean, I think that you are forgetting to take into consideration the fact that when standing one can
    pull up on the handlebars thus exerting the same downwards force on the pedal. Right?

  12. Dean Arthur

    Dean Arthur Guest

    Ahhh,but does standing and pulling on handlebars anywhere equate to power available to pedals from
    back against rest?

  13. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Dean Arthur wrote:

    > Ahhh,but does standing and pulling on handlebars anywhere equate to power available to pedals from
    > back against rest?

    This has been discussed before at considerable length on a.r.b.r. I contend from the available
    evidence [1] the advantage to standing is not in increased power generation, but in bringing
    different muscles into play during climbing. Therefore, aerobic capacity will be the limiting factor
    in climbing performance, not muscle fatigue. Recumbent riders'
    [2] are limited to one position, so muscle fatigue may occur before aerobic capacity is exhausted.

    [3] A study (done by UT-Austin IIRC) found that the fasting way to climb on an upright bike was to
    alternate standing and sitting, followed by staying seated, and in last place, standing the
    entire climb.
    [4] Except for those very few with on-the-fly adjustable seat recline.

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
    Dragonflyer

  14. Lb

    Lb Guest

    Therefore, aerobic capacity will be the limiting
    > factor in climbing performance, not muscle fatigue. Recumbent riders'
    > [2] are limited to one position, so muscle fatigue may occur before aerobic capacity is exhausted.
    >
    > [1] A study (done by UT-Austin IIRC) found that the fasting way to climb on an upright bike was to
    > alternate standing and sitting, followed by staying seated, and in last place, standing the
    > entire climb.
    > [2] Except for those very few with on-the-fly adjustable seat recline.
    >
    > Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
    > Dragonflyer

    Perhaps we could contact Lance Armstrong and ask him how he does it? LBJ [email protected]

  15. [email protected] (Jeff Wills) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Search "Joe Kochanowski" . He has done it. It's homebuilt, but there is a video clip of him
    > > transfering from one method to the other.
    >
    > Here you go: http://www.outsideconnection.com/gallant/hpv/joe/
    >
    > Jeff

    My final conclusion about my "transformer" bike is that it would be my bike of choice if I had to
    live in a poor third world country with bad roads. I have found my bike design was the most
    practical design for conditions like those in Africa or similar places where the roads are bad and
    unsuitable for multi-track vehicles. My design would carry a larger and heavier cargo load than a
    regular bike. It also works as a poor mans tandem. I wish someone would develop the "transformer"
    design for what it is really capable of accomplishing. Where I live now in Seattle WA, the roads are
    excellent and I do not need off road capability. I need a bike that has good speed,acceleration and
    crash protection. The various bent designs I am working on now work so well that I never ride
    regular bikes for any serious distance. The idea of a transformer bike is not limited to something
    that is regular and bent. I want a trike that converts to a bike on the fly. I have a bent that also
    works like a scooter. My favorite design right now looks similar to the original Velocar but it can
    be made either FWD or RWD with some parts switching.