Stand up glide?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling archive' started by Unicycleboy, Apr 2, 2004.

  1. Unicycleboy

    Unicycleboy Guest

    I was just wondering, who exactly doesnt use there hands to
    get into stand up glide? Ive just about learnt it.

    What is easyiest way to get into stand up glide?

    Thnx Trev

    --
    unicycleboy - Freestyle Expert
    unicycleboy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/399

  2. Mgrant

    Mgrant Guest

    I've been working on stand up wheel walk as a precursor to
    stand up glide.

    I find that I place my left foot on the frame and then use
    my right hand on the front of the seat. With most (all?) of
    my weight on the left foot I quickly stand up.

    Then I usually quickly fall back down.

    On some of my better attempts I've gone perhaps twenty feet.
    With that distance there are occasional short "glides" that
    are mostly unintentional.

    I think that once I get the hang of it I won't use my hands
    at all to get into position. I think that going from seated
    to stand up riding is much easier that going from stand up
    back to seated. I find it's much easier to go from stand up
    to sprawled out.

    -mg

    --
    mgrant - Ever hoping for the best!

    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older, shorter of
    breath, and one day closer to death.

    mgrant's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/440

  3. Johnfoss

    Johnfoss Guest

    unicycleboy wrote:
    > *who exactly doesnt use there hands to get into stand
    > up glide?*
    All the riders in the Japanese video I have. Not to say
    Japanese riders are the only ones doing it, but there are
    quite a few of them on this tape (from the Toyoda Unicycle
    Club). This is a tape of a big stage show they did. Not a
    commercial tape, at least not sold over here.

    Unfortunately I can't help much with the "how" until I learn
    it myself... :p

    --
    johnfoss - IUF Director

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
    www.unicycling.com

    "I went to the Liberace Museum and the Elvis-A-Rama Museum on the same
    day! This is not for everyone."

  4. Unicycleboy

    Unicycleboy Guest

    Sorry John

    What i meant to say was riding and going to stand up glide
    rather than gliding then stading up. I might try and learn
    this way but its pretty difficult

    Trev

    --
    unicycleboy - Freestyle Expert
    unicycleboy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/399

  5. Johnfoss

    Johnfoss Guest

    Most of what I see seems to go straight from pedaling to
    standing up. Once you get used to it, this way is probably
    easier than trying to raise yourself up from a glide. Easier
    on the legs, you know.

    --
    johnfoss - IUF Director

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
    www.unicycling.com

    "I went to the Liberace Museum and the Elvis-A-Rama Museum on the same
    day! This is not for everyone."

  6. Mike Rocks

    Mike Rocks Guest

  7. Unicycleboy

    Unicycleboy Guest

    Ive seen them videos, they all to go from glide into it,
    only a few times do they not use this method and go straight
    into stand up glide.

    Im going to learn the glide way :)

    Trev