Standard (non anatomic) road bars?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Umterp, Jan 25, 2003.

  1. Umterp

    Umterp Guest

    Why can't I find nonanatomic road bars for sale anywhere, but almost every pro uses them? Any
    insight as to who still sells them?

    TIA

    Dave

    Tags:

  2. UMTERP wrote:
    > Why can't I find nonanatomic road bars for sale anywhere, but almost every pro uses them? Any
    > insight as to who still sells them?

    We've got 'em! Nitto 115 in the classic "Maes" bend, assorted widths.

    See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/head.html#handlebars

    Sheldon "Graceful Curves, Not Ugly Angles" Brown
    | Education consists mainly in what we have unlearned. | --Mark Twain |
    +--------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

  3. Dave: Check with your LBS. Most that have been around for some time may very well have some older,
    non-anatomic bars in stock (and a three or four or five year old new handlebar is every bit as good
    as anything current, unless you're looking for a strange shape or want a 31.8 clamp diameter).

    "UMTERP" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Why can't I find nonanatomic road bars for sale anywhere, but almost every
    pro
    > uses them? Any insight as to who still sells them?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Dave

  4. umterp-<< Why can't I find nonanatomic road bars for sale anywhere, but almost every pro uses them?
    Any insight as to who still sells them?

    We do as does any decent bike shop...

    Another mystery of the bike biz, along with things like threadless...

    We have Cinelli, TTT, Ritchey, all of which come in non-anatomic models.

  5. If you can accept crome plated steel, then big-wheel.com has them. The item is "Handlebar Wald
    Touring #8095 23x3x1 Northroad". $4.52 plus shipping. Ernie

    UMTERP wrote:

    > Why can't I find nonanatomic road bars for sale anywhere, but almost every pro uses them? Any
    > insight as to who still sells them?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Dave

  6. "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > We do as does any decent bike shop... Another mystery of the bike biz, along with things like
    > threadless... We have Cinelli, TTT, Ritchey, all of which come in non-anatomic models.

    - Just to add a data point, since I remembered some folks looking for deep-drop bars around here.
    Saw these new ones on Modolo's site recently:

    http://www.geoplan.it/modolo/1_road_handlebars_temp.php?id=13

    No doubt Peter or any good LBS can get 'em.

    SB

  7. On 26 Jan 2003 05:23:49 GMT, [email protected] (UMTERP) wrote:

    >Why can't I find nonanatomic road bars for sale anywhere, but almost every pro uses them? Any
    >insight as to who still sells them?

    Nitto (and others) make them. Rivendell (and others) sell them.

    http://www.rivendellbicycles.com

    The Nitto Noodle bar is very nice, as it thier rando bar if you like such things.

    John Henderson, New York City, USA
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Let's roll!" -- Todd Beamer, 9/11/01 "After five and weekends" -- 711th SOS
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

  8. UMTERP <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Why can't I find nonanatomic road bars for sale anywhere, but almost every pro uses them? Any
    >insight as to who still sells them?

    Rivendell, amongst others, sell a wide range of Nitto bars. I myself have Nitto Noodle bars on my
    bike, which I am very happy with.

  9. Alexzn

    Alexzn Guest

    Deda 215 comes in a non-anatomic bend. You can ride the same bar the pros use for a "modest"
    investment of $79-100. The bar itself is excellent, light, stiff and so far has been
    trouble-free for me.

  10. On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 00:23:49 -0500, UMTERP wrote:

    > Why can't I find nonanatomic road bars for sale anywhere, but almost every pro uses them? Any
    > insight as to who still sells them?

    Try Rivendell. They sell two Nitto-made non-"anatomic" bars, the "Dream Bar" (a nice medium
    drop Maes bend) and the "Noodle", similar but slightly like a randonneur bar, with a flattened
    ramp behind the brake lever. They're both quite attractive, with engraving and all just like
    back in the day.

  11. mwright

    mwright Guest

    E & V Willson <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > If you can accept crome plated steel, then big-wheel.com has them. The item is "Handlebar Wald
    > Touring #8095 23x3x1 Northroad". $4.52 plus shipping. Ernie
    >
    > UMTERP wrote:
    >
    >> Why can't I find nonanatomic road bars for sale anywhere, but almost every pro uses them? Any
    >> insight as to who still sells them?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Dave

    Hi

    ITM make a non-anatomic version of their Millenium bars - called Millenium Strada. They are
    available in 42, 44 and 46cm widths. I've got a couple of pairs and they are fine.

    My wife is using Deda 215 non-anatomic bars. They come in two(perhaps more) depths - shallow and
    normal. Again they seem fine, but the shallow variety are a bit cramped for larger hands. A friend
    is using the normal depth with no problems. They're the same weight ( as near as dammit) as the
    Milleniums but somewhat cheaper. Here in the UK anyway.

    You could order them from JE James in the UK (+44 (0)1246-453453).

    HTH

    Mick