Standard (non anatomic) road bars?

Umterp

Guest
Why can't I find nonanatomic road bars for sale anywhere, but almost every pro uses them? Any
insight as to who still sells them?

TIA

Dave

UMTERP wrote:
> Why can't I find nonanatomic road bars for sale anywhere, but almost every pro uses them? Any
> insight as to who still sells them?

We've got 'em! Nitto 115 in the classic "Maes" bend, assorted widths.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/head.html#handlebars

Sheldon "Graceful Curves, Not Ugly Angles" Brown
| Education consists mainly in what we have unlearned. | --Mark Twain |
+--------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

Dave: Check with your LBS. Most that have been around for some time may very well have some older,
non-anatomic bars in stock (and a three or four or five year old new handlebar is every bit as good
as anything current, unless you're looking for a strange shape or want a 31.8 clamp diameter).

"UMTERP" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Why can't I find nonanatomic road bars for sale anywhere, but almost every
pro
> uses them? Any insight as to who still sells them?
>
> TIA
>
> Dave

umterp-<< Why can't I find nonanatomic road bars for sale anywhere, but almost every pro uses them?
Any insight as to who still sells them?

We do as does any decent bike shop...

Another mystery of the bike biz, along with things like threadless...

We have Cinelli, TTT, Ritchey, all of which come in non-anatomic models.

If you can accept crome plated steel, then big-wheel.com has them. The item is "Handlebar Wald
Touring #8095 23x3x1 Northroad". $4.52 plus shipping. Ernie

UMTERP wrote:

> Why can't I find nonanatomic road bars for sale anywhere, but almost every pro uses them? Any
> insight as to who still sells them?
>
> TIA
>
> Dave

> We do as does any decent bike shop... Another mystery of the bike biz, along with things like
> threadless... We have Cinelli, TTT, Ritchey, all of which come in non-anatomic models.

- Just to add a data point, since I remembered some folks looking for deep-drop bars around here.
Saw these new ones on Modolo's site recently:

http://www.geoplan.it/modolo/1_road_handlebars_temp.php?id=13

No doubt Peter or any good LBS can get 'em.

SB

On 26 Jan 2003 05:23:49 GMT, [email protected] (UMTERP) wrote:

>Why can't I find nonanatomic road bars for sale anywhere, but almost every pro uses them? Any
>insight as to who still sells them?

Nitto (and others) make them. Rivendell (and others) sell them.

http://www.rivendellbicycles.com

The Nitto Noodle bar is very nice, as it thier rando bar if you like such things.

John Henderson, New York City, USA
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
"Let's roll!" -- Todd Beamer, 9/11/01 "After five and weekends" -- 711th SOS
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

UMTERP <[email protected]> wrote:
>Why can't I find nonanatomic road bars for sale anywhere, but almost every pro uses them? Any
>insight as to who still sells them?

Rivendell, amongst others, sell a wide range of Nitto bars. I myself have Nitto Noodle bars on my
bike, which I am very happy with.

Deda 215 comes in a non-anatomic bend. You can ride the same bar the pros use for a "modest"
investment of $79-100. The bar itself is excellent, light, stiff and so far has been
trouble-free for me.

On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 00:23:49 -0500, UMTERP wrote:

> Why can't I find nonanatomic road bars for sale anywhere, but almost every pro uses them? Any
> insight as to who still sells them?

Try Rivendell. They sell two Nitto-made non-"anatomic" bars, the "Dream Bar" (a nice medium
drop Maes bend) and the "Noodle", similar but slightly like a randonneur bar, with a flattened
ramp behind the brake lever. They're both quite attractive, with engraving and all just like
back in the day.

E & V Willson <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> If you can accept crome plated steel, then big-wheel.com has them. The item is "Handlebar Wald
> Touring #8095 23x3x1 Northroad". $4.52 plus shipping. Ernie
>
> UMTERP wrote:
>
>> Why can't I find nonanatomic road bars for sale anywhere, but almost every pro uses them? Any
>> insight as to who still sells them?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Dave

Hi

ITM make a non-anatomic version of their Millenium bars - called Millenium Strada. They are
available in 42, 44 and 46cm widths. I've got a couple of pairs and they are fine.

My wife is using Deda 215 non-anatomic bars. They come in two(perhaps more) depths - shallow and
normal. Again they seem fine, but the shallow variety are a bit cramped for larger hands. A friend
is using the normal depth with no problems. They're the same weight ( as near as dammit) as the
Milleniums but somewhat cheaper. Here in the UK anyway.

You could order them from JE James in the UK (+44 (0)1246-453453).

HTH

Mick