Standard or Compaq frame design

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by wowkster, Aug 25, 2004.

1. wowkster

wowkster New Member

Why would you want a compaq frame deign like the Litespeed Siena versus a more standard road frame? Does body type and size matter?

Thanks

Matt
    Madison WI

Tags:

2. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

It can work better in sizing for riders with short legs and long torsos. Beyond that it is just a different way to build a frame with alot of marketing , hype, and BS thrown in.

3. Mansmind

Mansmind New Member

Hmmm... so your opinion is that the smaller triangles (especially the rear) and resulting shorter stays adds nothing to the stiffness/performance?

I respect your opinion, but on the surface of it that doesn't add up to me, I'd be interested in why you have that opinion.

John

4. lokstah

lokstah New Member

Mansmind, I think part of the issue is that there's never been a clear indication that those hypothesized benefits really exist. It is clear that plenty of great bike companies have created some excellent compact frames, so they're certainly worth looking into, but not uniquely so.

A common rebuttal to the smaller rear triangle theory is that compact frames lose a measure of stiffness by requiring seat tubes and/or seatposts that stand up proportionally taller, unsupported by seatstays.

Maybe so, maybe not; ultimately, we're talking subtle shades of change, and lots of tradeoffs that seem to come out to washes.

I've got a compact and a standard right now, and they both feel awfully good to me. :)

5. ed073

ed073 New Member

Marketing and fashion