Standing and climbing in drops versus bars

chainstay

Jul 8, 2007
Do any of you power trainers have any data as to how standing and climbing in the drops compares to standing and climbing with hands on the bars for efficiency and generating power? I remember seeing Pantani make long, standing climbs in the drops, but I don't recall seeing most other TDF climbers being in the drops when they are standing and climbing.

chainstay said:
Do any of you power trainers have any data as to how standing and climbing in the drops compares to standing and climbing with hands on the bars for efficiency and generating power? I remember seeing Pantani make long, standing climbs in the drops, but I don't recall seeing most other TDF climbers being in the drops when they are standing and climbing.
That's a tough one. The power meter tells me I can generate more power out of the saddle and maybe even more power out of the saddle while holding the drops for short durations but it doesn't tell me whether it's a more efficient way to climb. You'd have to do some controlled experiments to see whether you can sustain the same or more power for as long or longer while climbing in unusual positions. The power meter alone won't tell you that.

Realistically you could do this test with just a stopwatch and a long enough hill. Climb it both ways and see what gives you the better time and/or lower perceived exertion. If the climb is long enough you should know the answer after a few attempts.

-Dave

My experience is that, when I climb on bars I can catch and keep, for a longer period of time, better rhythm than in drops... And that's what's important to me and generally for climbing.
But, 'cause you're asking about power, drops have advantage.
I'm not power trainer, just my experience.

Thanks for your replies. I remember being on a tour event many years ago and climbing a pass out of the saddle in the drops the entire way, being reasonably comfortable and in rhythm with it, and making what seemed like good time. But this really doesn't tell me anything!! :D I have no times or anything to compare it to. I just restarted riding alot again a couple of years ago, but I haven't really tried climbing in the drops again for any length. In my head, I have just assumed that if it was a good method for steady climbs, there would be more people out there doing it, but perhaps it is really a personal preference thing, and I should just experiment with it to see whether I can actually do any better that way---or whether I can even comfortably hold such a style for any length of climb anymore.

Climbing in the drops itself seems impressive. I have tried to do it a few times just to look cool and be like Pantani and some other pros but I lasted about 20 meters before grabbing the hoods. I found it harded to breath in that position.

chainstay said:
Thanks for your replies. I remember being on a tour event many years ago and climbing a pass out of the saddle in the drops the entire way, being reasonably comfortable and in rhythm with it, and making what seemed like good time. But this really doesn't tell me anything!! :D I have no times or anything to compare it to. I just restarted riding alot again a couple of years ago, but I haven't really tried climbing in the drops again for any length. In my head, I have just assumed that if it was a good method for steady climbs, there would be more people out there doing it, but perhaps it is really a personal preference thing, and I should just experiment with it to see whether I can actually do any better that way---or whether I can even comfortably hold such a style for any length of climb anymore.

I just tried climbing in my drops again. It felt very awkward and I didn't last long. However, now there is a completely different bike, different climb and a nine year older person. I looked up what year I did that climb in the drops---it was 1998, and I also google earthed the pass. It was a much more moderate grade than what I tried last night. But the bike I climbed that pass on in the drops is still located at some relatives house in another state, albeit with a shorter stem than when I did that pass. I ride it when I visit the other state, which is pretty frequently. Since no one has told me there is anything inherently wrong with this style, I am going to try it on the old bike next time I visit there. I am also going to try it again on my current bike on a more moderate climb and see whether there is any possibility that I can hold it and find a rhythm. If I find I can hold it, then next I will have to see whether I am actually going any faster than using a more conventional style.

I think Pantani raised his bars when he started using the drops more. Earlier in his career he used the hoods much of the time, but comparing the angle of his back to horizontal in both styles it didn't really change much so I think it was the bar height that allowed him to ride that way.