Standing on pedals during climbs, can that harm the bike?

GrowingStronger

Aug 22, 2013
Just wondered if that puts too much stress on the pedals, cranks, frame, or chain ring? At times, it seems like it might, and I'm average weight, 160, and it's a good quality piece of equipment, Specialized mid-range MB, not mass market junk. Ok practice on those really tough climbs, or something to avoid?

Nope, not at all. In fact, it's a common climbing technique, and it's also used for sprinting.

Give it all you've got like your Chris Horner on the last three clicks of a Vuelta mountain top finish and putting a minute into Nibali. She'll take it.

Standing on the pedals is how you get it done. Stand and pedal to stretch and shift muscle group use on the flats, stand to climb when you feel like it, stand up and pound out the power when accelerating and sprinting. It's all good.

The probability of something breaking increases the more power or torque you put it under. So the answer is maybe...

You're 16 pounds lighter than Indurain was when he was blowing away guys 20 pounds lighter than him on climbs (let's not get into how he managed that). If he never snapped a pedal spindle, you're not likely to.

Sorry, that's my MO, I tend to worry about things that don't happen. It's the things which come out of nowhere that are trouble.