Stan's No-Tubes

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Robert Schultz, May 26, 2003.

  1. Anyone else try the Stan's No-Tubes conversion kits for non-tubeless rims?

    Seemed like a good idea and they do work, more-or-less. But, in the four weeks I've been trying them
    I've had three flats.

    One I just couldn't seem to keep air in a cheap steel beaded 1.25" slick at 90PSI. Ok, try a better
    tire at a more reasonable pressure.

    Two, scraped the sidewall bad enough to let all the air out, but not bad enough to throw away the
    tire if I put a tube back in it.

    Three, unexplained.

    Think it's back to tubes for me.

    Rob S.

    Tags:

  2. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > Anyone else try the Stan's No-Tubes conversion kits for non-tubeless rims?
    >
    > Seemed like a good idea and they do work, more-or-less. But, in the four weeks I've been trying
    > them I've had three flats.
    >
    > One I just couldn't seem to keep air in a cheap steel beaded 1.25" slick
    at
    > 90PSI. Ok, try a better tire at a more reasonable pressure.
    >
    > Two, scraped the sidewall bad enough to let all the air out, but not bad enough to throw away the
    > tire if I put a tube back in it.
    >
    > Three, unexplained.
    >
    > Think it's back to tubes for me.

    If you really want tubeless that *works*, go UST. You get what you pay for.

  3. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > If you really want tubeless that *works*, go UST. You get what you pay
    for.

    Or better yet, UST rims/tires with Stan's sealant in them.

    -John Morgan

  4. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:9ECAa.41442$%[email protected]...
    > > If you really want tubeless that *works*, go UST. You get what you pay
    > for.
    >
    > Or better yet, UST rims/tires with Stan's sealant in them.
    >
    > -John Morgan

    Sheesh....what's the use...and why even bother. I don't get it??
    --
    Slacker

  5. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Slacker <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:9ECAa.41442$%[email protected]...
    > > > If you really want tubeless that *works*, go UST. You get what you
    pay
    > > for.
    > >
    > > Or better yet, UST rims/tires with Stan's sealant in them.
    > >
    > > -John Morgan
    >

    > Sheesh....what's the use...and why even bother. I don't get it??

    So you can brag to everyone how you're running tubeless tyres, and how your powers of persuasion are
    so great you've convinced yourself they're better. - Duh!

    Shaun aRe

  6. > >
    > > Sheesh....what's the use...and why even bother. I don't get it??
    >
    > So you can brag to everyone how you're running tubeless tyres, and how
    your
    > powers of persuasion are so great you've convinced yourself they're better. - Duh!
    >

    > Shaun aRe

    Actually because I had an unusual number of flats last year, especially during races. Figured it was
    worth a try.

    Going full UST? Maybe when I get a new bike. Not worth the expense on an old bike.

    Rob S.

    BTW, I was bragging?

  7. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Robert Schultz <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > > Sheesh....what's the use...and why even bother. I don't get it??
    > >
    > > So you can brag to everyone how you're running tubeless tyres, and how
    > your
    > > powers of persuasion are so great you've convinced yourself they're better. - Duh!
    > >

    > > Shaun aRe
    >
    > Actually because I had an unusual number of flats last year, especially during races. Figured it
    > was worth a try.
    >
    > Going full UST? Maybe when I get a new bike. Not worth the expense on an
    old
    > bike.

    > Rob S.
    >
    > BTW, I was bragging?

    I wasn't referring specifically to you - just having a lark with Slacker.

    Shaun aRe - 'flat', what's one of those? ',;~}~

  8. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  9. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    >
    > > Shaun aRe - 'flat', what's one of those? ',;~}~
    >
    > Ever watched 'Will & Grace'?

    Once - I had trouble figuring out which one of them was the gay guy, and which was the
    straight bloke.

    Shaun aRe - WTF has Will and Grace gotta do with a 'flat'

  10. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    > >
    > > > Shaun aRe - 'flat', what's one of those? ',;~}~
    > >
    > > Ever watched 'Will & Grace'?
    >
    > Once - I had trouble figuring out which one of them was the gay guy, and which was the
    > straight bloke.

    i think both guys are gay.

    > Shaun aRe - WTF has Will and Grace gotta do with a 'flat'

    perhaps Grace is 'flat'
    --
    ~Travis

  11. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Technician <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > > Ever watched 'Will & Grace'?
    > >
    > > Once - I had trouble figuring out which one of them was the gay guy, and which was the straight
    > > bloke.
    > >

    > i think both guys are gay.
    >

    > > Shaun aRe - WTF has Will and Grace gotta do with a 'flat'
    > >

    > perhaps Grace is 'flat'

    That's the gay bloke, right?

    Shaun aRe

  12. Giganews

    Giganews Guest

    I've had nothing but good luck with Stan's system. Lighter than UST, most ogf the benefits. The only
    benefit see in UST is that inflation and pressure adjustment are a little easier - the lack of
    threaded stems and a washer means you have to be careful not to unseat the rim strip when you put on
    the presta inflator. If you run UST (which I have on one of my bikes), Stan's helps prevent flats in
    those, too.

    It doesn't take a rocket scientist to use the stuff. Initial inflation is a LOT easier with an air
    compressor, though.

    Dollar for dollar, this was the best upgrade I have ever made to my bike - a LOT cheaper than a new
    UST wheelset. Odds are pretty good that when I build up my next set of wheels it will be non-UST and
    just use Stan's. Cheaper, lighter, rides just as well. A touch less convenient, but other than that
    very, very good.

    Bill _/)_

    "Robert Schultz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone else try the Stan's No-Tubes conversion kits for non-tubeless rims?
    >
    > Seemed like a good idea and they do work, more-or-less. But, in the four weeks I've been trying
    > them I've had three flats.
    >
    > One I just couldn't seem to keep air in a cheap steel beaded 1.25" slick
    at
    > 90PSI. Ok, try a better tire at a more reasonable pressure.
    >
    > Two, scraped the sidewall bad enough to let all the air out, but not bad enough to throw away the
    > tire if I put a tube back in it.
    >
    > Three, unexplained.
    >
    > Think it's back to tubes for me.
    >
    > Rob S.

  13. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > Technician <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > > Once - I had trouble figuring out which one of them was the gay guy, and which was the
    > > > straight bloke.
    > > >

    > > i think both guys are gay.
    > >

    > > > Shaun aRe - WTF has Will and Grace gotta do with a 'flat'
    > > >

    > > perhaps Grace is 'flat'
    >
    > That's the gay bloke, right?
    >
    > Shaun aRe

    http://www.nbc.com/Will_&_Grace/index.html picture at top.

    left to right... Karen (straight), Grace (straight), Will (gay), Jack (gay).

    in pick below and to the right shows the two gay guys. keep in mind they are friends, but not lovers
    (not to each others taste i think).

    I only watch it once in a great while though.
    --
    ~Travis

  14. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "Robert Schultz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone else try the Stan's No-Tubes conversion kits for non-tubeless rims?
    >
    > Seemed like a good idea and they do work, more-or-less. But, in the four weeks I've been trying
    > them I've had three flats.
    >
    > One I just couldn't seem to keep air in a cheap steel beaded 1.25" slick
    at
    > 90PSI. Ok, try a better tire at a more reasonable pressure.
    >
    > Two, scraped the sidewall bad enough to let all the air out, but not bad enough to throw away the
    > tire if I put a tube back in it.
    >
    > Three, unexplained.
    >
    > Think it's back to tubes for me.
    >
    > Rob S.

    I've been running Stan's for about three weeks now. No flats yet. My front is a new Intense XC 2.25
    and the rear is a Nokian Gazaloddi Core
    2.1 from last fall/winter.

    I think you may be doing a couple of things wrong here. One is the high pressure. The tubless system
    seems to be a way to achieve lower pressure than you would need to have with tubes. I don't think it
    was designed with the kind of pressure you are using in mind.

    The other is the cheap tires. Seems like a quality built tire would hold the bead and have stronger
    sidewalls than a cheap one. That could be a factor as well.

    I have a couple of friends who have been on Stan's for two years. One guy is a 100 Mile/24 Hr. racer
    and LBS owner who is very demanding of his equipment. He's got Stan's on his singlespeed and has
    gotten two flats in two years and both were due to catastrophic tire failure (would have gone flat
    with tubes too). The other guy is a former Norba Pro champ and he thinks they're great. He could
    have any wheel/tire system he wants and he chooses a light traditional Mavic rim with Stan's.

    I'll let you all know if I have any problems. I know I'm a bit of a guinea pig here, but the results
    so far are great.

    Matt

  15. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > I'll let you all know if I have any problems. I know I'm a bit of a guinea pig here, but the
    > results so far are great.
    >
    > Matt

    Speaking of guinea pigs... I haven't read your report on the S-Works Epic you ride.

    -John Morgan ... just ordered one today.

  16. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Technician <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > Technician <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > > > i think both guys are gay.

    > > > perhaps Grace is 'flat'
    > >
    > > That's the gay bloke, right?
    > >
    > > Shaun aRe
    > >

    > http://www.nbc.com/Will_&_Grace/index.html picture at top.
    >
    > left to right... Karen (straight), Grace (straight), Will (gay), Jack (gay).
    >
    > in pick below and to the right shows the two gay guys. keep in mind they are friends, but not
    > lovers (not to each others taste i think).
    >
    > I only watch it once in a great while though.

    Uhhhmmm, do I get to say 'whoosh!' now? Heheheheh....... ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe

  17. > The other is the cheap tires. Seems like a quality built tire would hold
    the
    > bead and have stronger sidewalls than a cheap one. That could be a factor
    as
    > well.

    Whoops, I gave the wrong impression.

    I tried the Stan's in a cheap slick for a single ride, early season with tons of gravel road and
    rail trail (Paris to Ancaster for those in Ontario).

    Then I switched to my 6 month old Panaracer TrailBlaster (bad tire name for the environmental
    cyclist). A friend used my bike in a solo 24hr race. He put a divot in the sidewall. The fibres
    are torn on the outside, but not all the way through. All the air and sealant blew out the hole.
    He put a tube in and finished the lap. The side wall held fine with a tube but will never work
    with Stan's again.

    Third set were Hutchinson RockXair 1.75s. Old but really fun to ride. After a fast DH section in a
    race I could feel the back tire was soft. It wasn't too bad so I kept riding (it's a race after
    all) and a few minutes later I must have broken the seal between the strip and the tire cause all
    the air blew out.

    Maybe I'll give it another try, but I'm not sure. If I buy a new set of tires this years I'll try
    some USTs and give it another go. I certainly don't need any more tires so that's unlikely.

    Rob

  18. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:FAWAa.43587$%[email protected]...
    > > I'll let you all know if I have any problems. I know I'm a bit of a
    guinea
    > > pig here, but the results so far are great.
    > >
    > > Matt
    >
    > Speaking of guinea pigs... I haven't read your report on the S-Works Epic you ride.
    >
    > -John Morgan ... just ordered one today.

    In brief: I love it. I'll write more when I have time. I think I climb about the same speed I always
    have but descend much faster. I've been meaning to revisit this soon. Keep an eye out...

    Matt