Stapleton, today's NYTimes, the odor of USOC corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bikeadman

From the NY Times, Jan. 14:

U.S.O.C. Chief Stays On as Latest Furor Ends

By RICHARD SANDOMIR

AURORA, Colo., Jan. 13 — Lloyd Ward retained his position as the chief executive of the United
States Olympic Committee today despite an ethics report that said he had fostered "the appearance of
a conflict of interest" when he assisted his brother's business venture. "Lloyd's job was not in
danger today," Bill Stapleton, a U.S.O.C. vice president, said after a meeting of the 22-member
executive committee. "This group stands 100 percent behind him. He admits this was an error in
judgment. For us, this is over." Advertisement

Ward said: "I don't feel reprimanded. There is no mention of a reprimand." The subject of whether
Ward would remain chief executive was not raised during a nearly five-hour meeting at a suburban
hotel here, and Stapleton said 80 percent of the executive committee's members concurred with the
report's findings. Ward signed a contract in November 2001 that either Ward or the U.S.O.C. could
terminate at any time. His salary is $550,000, in addition to bonuses and performance incentives.
For more than two weeks, the executive committee has been buffeted by renewed turmoil over the
leadership at the U.S.O.C., which has had four chief executives since 2000, and what disciplinary
action, if any, might be warranted against Ward. The organization, the most powerful of all
national Olympic committees, has been described as being, at best, dysfunctional, with an unwieldy
structure that places much of its power in a 120-member board of directors with myriad interests.
Marty Mankamyer, who became the U.S.O.C.'s president last May after Sandra Baldwin resigned for
falsifying her résumé, said, "We may appear to be in costume at times, but we're O.K." Mankamyer
said she had become aware in October that Ward, in a note to a staff member last April, had said
that a proposal by Energy Management Technologies to supply microturbines for backup power at the
2003 Pan American Games "could be beneficial." At the time, Ward's brother, Rubert, was the
president of the company. With help from the U.S.O.C. staff member Hernando Madronero, the $4.6
million proposal, which fell through, reached the Pan American Games' project manager. Rubert Ward
and Energy Management Technologies' chief executive later wrote to Lloyd Ward, thanking him for his
help. Lloyd Ward's involvement was kept within the U.S.O.C. until it was disclosed by The Los
Angeles Times on Dec. 30. The ethics report determined that Ward's conduct created the appearance
of a conflict of interest and that he "failed to make a written disclosure of the potential
financial interest" of his brother in his annual disclosure to the U.S.O.C. last July. "I made an
error in judgment," Ward said, but he added, "I can't point to it as a lapse in judgment." Shortly
after the matter was disclosed publicly, Mankamyer called the accusations against Ward "serious and
disturbing." Today, Mankamyer revised her opinion. "I had not seen the ethics committee report, and
until I saw it, I couldn't make an accurate statement," she said. The report castigated the
U.S.O.C. for not enforcing its ethics code when Ward first made his request to Madronero regarding
his brother's company. Ward said today that when he saw the proposal from Energy Management
Technologies, he did not know that another company — Aggreko Inc., a power-generating company in
Houston — was a U.S.O.C. supplier that had provided backup generators to the last four Summer
Olympics and the last two Winter Games. Aggreko's role as a U.S.O.C. supplier did not guarantee
that it would receive the contract to provide backup power for the Pan Am Games in the Dominican
Republic. But as a U.S.O.C. supplier, it had more experience than Energy Management Technologies.
"I was not aware of the relationship with Aggreko," Ward said. "I'm embarrassed to say it."
Although Ward knew Sunday that the report did not accuse him of an ethics violation and that his
job was not in jeopardy, he nonetheless brought two lawyers here to make sure he received due
process at the meeting. He said he had been concerned that the "speculation aired in the press" and
the leaking of his e-mail messages to the executive committee could lead to a one-sided airing of
the issue. But, he said, "The response of the executive committee to my concerns was swift,
successful and effective." While the executive committee appears to have extinguished the brush
fire over Ward's actions, U.S.O.C. officials said that they needed to work better together to avoid
similar problems in the future. "There is a concern that we tend not to operate as a cohesive unit
at times," said Stapleton, one of the U.S.O.C.'s five vice presidents. There will be weekly
conference calls and hands-on contact with sponsors by the officers, William Martin, another vice
president, said. "We have some things to work on," Ward said. "We acknowledge that. We have a lot
of room for improvement. But a lot of things are right."

Add to that Darth B's statements in the VeloNews interview that he sees no conflict of
interest in Johnson being with USAC and the Development fund and it's beginning to look like
politics in Louisiana---a state where the concept of conflicts of interest doesn't exist (fun
details on request).

Brian Lafferty

--
"BikeAdman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> From the NY Times, Jan. 14:
>
> U.S.O.C. Chief Stays On as Latest Furor Ends
>
> By RICHARD SANDOMIR
>
>
> AURORA, Colo., Jan. 13 - Lloyd Ward retained his position as the chief executive of the United
> States Olympic Committee today despite an ethics
> that said he had fostered "the appearance of a conflict of interest" when
he
> assisted his brother's business venture. "Lloyd's job was not in danger today," Bill Stapleton, a
> U.S.O.C. vice president, said after a meeting of the 22-member executive committee.
"This
> group stands 100 percent behind him. He admits this was an error in
judgment.
> For us, this is over." Advertisement
>
>
> Ward said: "I don't feel reprimanded. There is no mention of a reprimand." The subject of whether
> Ward would remain chief executive was not raised
during
> a nearly five-hour meeting at a suburban hotel here, and Stapleton said 80 percent of the
> executive committee's members concurred with the report's findings. Ward signed a contract in
> November 2001 that either Ward or the U.S.O.C.
could
> terminate at any time. His salary is $550,000, in addition to bonuses and performance incentives.
> For more than two weeks, the executive committee has been buffeted by
renewed
> turmoil over the leadership at the U.S.O.C., which has had four chief executives since 2000, and
> what disciplinary action, if any, might be
warranted
> against Ward. The organization, the most powerful of all national Olympic committees, has been
> described as being, at best, dysfunctional, with an unwieldy structure that places much of its
> power in a 120-member board of directors with myriad interests. Marty Mankamyer, who became the
> U.S.O.C.'s president last May after Sandra Baldwin resigned for falsifying her résumé, said, "We
> may appear to be in costume at times, but we're O.K." Mankamyer said she had become aware in
> October that Ward, in a note to a
staff
> member last April, had said that a proposal by Energy Management
Technologies
> to supply microturbines for backup power at the 2003 Pan American Games
"could
> be beneficial." At the time, Ward's brother, Rubert, was the president of
the
> company. With help from the U.S.O.C. staff member Hernando Madronero, the $4.6
million
> proposal, which fell through, reached the Pan American Games' project
manager.
> Rubert Ward and Energy Management Technologies' chief executive later
wrote to
> Lloyd Ward, thanking him for his help. Lloyd Ward's involvement was kept
within
> the U.S.O.C. until it was disclosed by The Los Angeles Times on Dec. 30. The ethics report
> determined that Ward's conduct created the appearance of
a
> conflict of interest and that he "failed to make a written disclosure of
the
> potential financial interest" of his brother in his annual disclosure to
the
> U.S.O.C. last July. "I made an error in judgment," Ward said, but he added, "I can't point to
it as
> a lapse in judgment." Shortly after the matter was disclosed publicly, Mankamyer called the
> accusations against Ward "serious and disturbing." Today, Mankamyer revised her opinion. "I had
> not seen the ethics committee report, and until I saw it, I couldn't make an accurate
> statement," she
said.
> The report castigated the U.S.O.C. for not enforcing its ethics code when
Ward
> first made his request to Madronero regarding his brother's company. Ward said today that when he
> saw the proposal from Energy Management Technologies, he did not know that another company -
> Aggreko Inc., a power-generating company in Houston - was a U.S.O.C. supplier that had provided
> backup generators to the last four Summer Olympics and the last
two
> Winter Games. Aggreko's role as a U.S.O.C. supplier did not guarantee that it would
receive
> the contract to provide backup power for the Pan Am Games in the Dominican Republic. But as a
> U.S.O.C. supplier, it had more experience than Energy Management Technologies. "I was not aware of
> the relationship with Aggreko," Ward said. "I'm
embarrassed
> to say it." Although Ward knew Sunday that the report did not accuse him of an ethics violation
> and that his job was not in jeopardy, he nonetheless brought two lawyers here to make sure he
> received due process at the meeting. He said
he
> had been concerned that the "speculation aired in the press" and the
leaking of
> his e-mail messages to the executive committee could lead to a one-sided
airing
> of the issue. But, he said, "The response of the executive committee to my concerns was swift,
> successful and effective." While the executive committee appears to have extinguished the
> brush fire
over
> Ward's actions, U.S.O.C. officials said that they needed to work better together to avoid similar
> problems in the future. "There is a concern that
we
> tend not to operate as a cohesive unit at times," said Stapleton, one of
the
> U.S.O.C.'s five vice presidents. There will be weekly conference calls and hands-on contact with
> sponsors by the officers, William Martin, another
vice
> president, said. "We have some things to work on," Ward said. "We acknowledge that. We have
a
> lot of room for improvement. But a lot of things are right."
>
>
>

>Subject: Re: Stapleton, today's NYTimes, the odor of USOC corruption From: "Brian Lafferty"

>it's beginning to look like politics in Louisiana

hey [email protected] didn't they run you out of town on a rail there? or was it one of those "court
ordered relocation" things again? Allegedly......

-----Sharon Peters Personal Trainer to the Stars-------- Remove "No Junk" to reply please!!!

"BikeAdman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> From the NY Times, Jan. 14:
>
> U.S.O.C. Chief Stays On as Latest Furor Ends

It isn't at all clear what Stapleton was supposed to do that was a conflict of interest.
Micro-turbines? Is this to say that he thought that his brother's products were effective for
power backup?

Let me tell you a little story about Olympic Committees. I worked at a company that made intecom
systems. Very expensive and very complex intercoms that are used by all of the major TV networks
and local stations and also are used by radio stations all over the world. Not a big company mind
you since this business isn't that big. But the second largest intercom company in the world at
that time.

The Olympic Committee approached us and told us that we had been "selected" as the official supplier
of intercom systems for the Winter Olympics where ever the hell in the US it was back in the early
90's I think.

We asked them to supply a list of what they wanted. When it came in, this is what the deal was -
they would take 100% of all our production capacity for a year and a half. They wouldn't BUY the
stuff, but would LEASE it. The lease value would be a small portion of the purchase price. We would
have to customize a great deal of the products to fit the somewhat trying conditions of hanging
wires over miles of snow covered mountains by just tossing it down on the ground. We would then
have to figure out how to sell used stuff while not having produced any new equipment for a year
and a half.

We would receive payment for our leased stuff when they felt like it.

If this is the common sort of deal that Olympic Committees offer I can't help but think that prior
suppliers probably wouldn't be interested in their business anyway.

Yes, we politely told them that we didn't have capacity for their intercoms and we recommended our
hottest competitor. It they took the deal it would have given us a huge lead in the intercom
business. I don't know what happened since I move to a different company at that time.

[email protected] (jim gravity) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message:
>
> > Let me tell you a little story about...

A posting appears in which it seems to be implied that Stapleton was involved in something rather
unsavory - the removal of one supplier and the installation of another owned by a relative.

Of course the Olympic Committee seems to have found that it was only the appearance of a conflict of
interest and not an actual conflict.

But that didn't stop comments here from implying that now the conflict of interest was both true and
now a result of a ruling of the USOC.

I reply with an personal experience with the way the Olympics are run which shows that there could
easily be many reasons why there was no conflict EVER.

Jim Gravity avoids the issue in order to make a personal insult.

So tell us, oh heavy one, if I were to have made this entire story up, what possible difference
would it make to the issue at hand? Would that void the strong possibility that previous suppliers
didn't want anything to do with the Olympics this time around? Would it change the position of the
Committee if Stapleton's brother was able to offer the same service for a lower price or a superior
product for the same price or a required superior product at an additional cost that the competition
didn't offer?

It is just the mind numbing stupidity of people like you that make Usenet what it is.

[email protected] (Tom Kunich) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> if I were to have made this entire story up,

It's not that complicated.

I just thought this was funny:

> > Let me tell you a little story about...

> It is just the mind numbing stupidity of people like you that make Usenet what it is.

There are far stoopider around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.