Star letter and common sense from police.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simon Mason, Apr 3, 2004.

  1. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    Some people might remember the flood of complaints from drivers in our city
    when they were fined for speeding on a dual carriageway with a 30 mph limit.
    These included council leaders and ex specials and even the AA who all
    virtually admitted in a large regional newspaper to not being fit to drive,
    since they didn't know the rules of the road before setting off. At last a
    police officer has gone into print to put the record straight. Here:

    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zpolice.htm

    Also, in the same issue, I managed to get the "star
    letter" and to give the editor their due for once, they
    didn't mess around with the original too much ;-) They
    even added a nice picture of lots of bikes in Amsterdam. I
    also finally learned how to make the scan clearer and
    brighter in Paint Shop Pro.

    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zmainletter.htm

    --
    Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W
    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

    Tags:

  2. Graham

    Graham Guest

    > Some people might remember the flood of complaints from
    > drivers in our
    city
    > when they were fined for speeding on a dual carriageway
    > with a 30 mph
    limit.
    > These included council leaders and ex specials and even
    > the AA who all virtually admitted in a large regional
    > newspaper to not being fit to
    drive,
    > since they didn't know the rules of the road before
    > setting off. At last a police officer has gone into print
    > to put the record straight. Here:
    >
    > http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zpolice.htm

    Good article !

    Graham

    > Also, in the same issue, I managed to get the "star
    > letter" and to give
    the
    > editor their due for once, they didn't mess around with
    > the original too much ;-) They even added a nice picture
    > of lots of bikes in Amsterdam. I also finally learned how
    > to make the scan clearer and brighter in Paint
    Shop
    > Pro.
    >
    > http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zmainletter.htm
    >
    > --
    > Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W
    > http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

  3. > At last a
    >police officer has gone into print to put the record straight. Here:
    >
    >http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zpolice.htm

    Quite refreshing to read. What a different attitude to the
    Chief Constable of Norfolk who has said speed cameras in
    Norfolk are not exactly a good thing.

    > Also, in the same issue, I managed to get the "star
    > letter" and to give the editor their due for once, they
    > didn't mess around with the original too much ;-)

    Excellent :)

    Cheers, helen s

    --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get
    correct one remove fame & fortune

    --Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel
    is switched off--

  4. In news:[email protected],
    Simon Mason <[email protected]> typed:
    > Some people might remember the flood of complaints from
    > drivers in our city when they were fined for speeding on
    > a dual carriageway with a 30 mph limit. ... At last a
    > police officer has gone into print to put the record
    > straight. Here:

    Good article

    > Also, in the same issue, I managed to get the "star
    > letter" and to give the editor their due for once, they
    > didn't mess around with the original too much ;-) They
    > even added a nice picture of lots of bikes in Amsterdam.
    > I also finally learned how to make the scan clearer and
    > brighter in Paint Shop Pro.

    Good letter. Nice work there. Quite possibly your letter
    gave them some of the encouragement to publish the
    article, too.

  5. > Some people might remember the flood of complaints from drivers in our
    > city when they were fined for speeding on a dual carriageway with a 30
    > mph limit. These included council leaders and ex specials and even the
    > AA who all virtually admitted in a large regional newspaper to not
    > being fit to drive, since they didn't know the rules of the road
    > before setting off. At last a police officer has gone into print to
    > put the record straight. Here:
    >
    > http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zpolice.htm

    You can tell the policeman pictured is really happy in his
    job!

  6. "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Also, in the same issue, I managed to get the "star
    > letter" and to give
    the
    > editor their due for once, they didn't mess around with
    > the original too much ;-) They even added a nice picture
    > of lots of bikes in Amsterdam....

    Those dutch bikes all look like heavy lumbering
    monstrosities! Don't they ever ride quality lightweight
    machines over there?

  7. Ian W

    Ian W Guest

    Simon,

    Three loud and rowdy cheers for you, your local paper, and
    your local police force. If we saw more of this nationwide
    then this would start to be a much nicer country to live in.

    (And, of course, a change of government would make this
    country better too - I'm not happy to learn that because of
    this bunch of lying Yankee-pandering no-gooders, people in
    my profession are now near the top of al-Qaeda's hitlist!)

    Ian

    --
    www.drianwalker.com

    Remove the nice brown paste in my signature if you
    want to reply!

  8. "Ian W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Simon,
    >
    > Three loud and rowdy cheers for you, your local paper,
    > and your local police force. If we saw more of this
    > nationwide then this would start to be a much nicer
    > country to live in.
    >
    > (And, of course, a change of government would make this
    > country better too - I'm not happy to learn that because
    > of this bunch of lying Yankee-pandering no-gooders, people
    > in my profession are now near the top of al-Qaeda's
    > hitlist!)
    Why has al-Qaeda got it in for statisticians then?

  9. Stephen Clark wrote:
    > "Ian W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Simon,
    >>
    >>Three loud and rowdy cheers for you, your local paper,
    >>and your local police force. If we saw more of this
    >>nationwide then this would start to be a much nicer
    >>country to live in.
    >>
    >>(And, of course, a change of government would make this
    >>country better too - I'm not happy to learn that because
    >>of this bunch of lying Yankee-pandering no-gooders, people
    >>in my profession are now near the top of al-Qaeda's
    >>hitlist!)
    >
    > Why has al-Qaeda got it in for statisticians then?

    63.6% of them have.

  10. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Stephen Clark wrote:
    > Why has al-Qaeda got it in for statisticians then?

    They've probably reached their tolerance limits ;-)

    Tony

  11. Dwb

    Dwb Guest

    "Ian W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Simon,
    >
    > Three loud and rowdy cheers for you, your local paper,
    > and your local police force. If we saw more of this
    > nationwide then this would start to be a much nicer
    > country to live in.

    You sure that once they'd finished with inappropriate speed
    limits they'd not move on to some more inappropriate laws
    that you might not actually agree with?

  12. Paul

    Paul Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > Also, in the same issue, I managed to get the "star
    > > letter" and to give
    > the
    > > editor their due for once, they didn't mess around with
    > > the original too much ;-) They even added a nice picture
    > > of lots of bikes in Amsterdam....
    >
    > Those dutch bikes all look like heavy lumbering
    > monstrosities! Don't they ever ride quality lightweight
    > machines over there?

    One of the chaps that worked for me while I was in the
    Netherlands[1] had a hand built lightweight jobbie. He
    commuted 20odd miles each way 3 or four times a week. and he
    wasn't a particularly extreme case either.

    1. Holland is only one part of the Netherlands apparently.
    No, I didn't know that until I worked there, either.
    --
    .paul

    if at first you don't succeed... skydiving is probably not
    the sport for you

  13. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    Paul <[email protected]> wrote in message .

    > 1. Holland is only one part of the Netherlands apparently.
    > No, I didn't know that until I worked there, either.

    There are 11 provinces in The Netherlands and North Holland
    and South Holland are only two of them.

    Simon M.

  14. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    dwb wrote:

    > You sure that once they'd finished with inappropriate
    > speed limits they'd not move on to some more inappropriate
    > laws that you might not actually agree with?

    So its alright to resist the laws we don't agree with but
    not the ones motorist's don't agree with. Hmmmmm.

    Tony

  15. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 23:21:49 +0100, "dwb" <[email protected]>
    wrote in message <[email protected]>:

    >You sure that once they'd finished with inappropriate speed
    >limits they'd not move on to some more inappropriate laws
    >that you might not actually agree with?

    Dunno. The discussion thus far includes only entirely
    appropriate laws.

    --
    Guy
    ===

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
    Washington University

  16. Pk

    Pk Guest

    Simon Mason wrote:
    > Some people might remember the flood of complaints from
    > drivers in our city when they were fined for speeding on a
    > dual carriageway with a 30 mph limit. These included
    > council leaders and ex specials and even the AA who all
    > virtually admitted in a large regional newspaper to not
    > being fit to drive, since they didn't know the rules of
    > the road before setting off. At last a police officer has
    > gone into print to put the record straight. Here:

    The "should there be 30mph reminders or just cameras to
    catch speeders" debate always seems to be approached here
    from the standpoint of the anti-motorist-cyclist "The
    buggers should know the law and obey it; if they don't, they
    should be prosecuted".

    Now there is a certain irrefutable logic to that.

    But, ipso facto, there is confusion and lack of
    knowledge/understanding among people who would otherwise
    obey a signed limit (The 30 mph urban dual carriageway is
    the exception and driving habits are ingrained and clues
    taken from road nature not just whether there are street
    lights or not)

    A better logic is to approach the matter from the point
    of view of the child standing by the side of the road
    waiting to cross: Would 30mph reminder signs work to
    reduce the average speed of the cars passing by and make
    the road safer?

    Almost certainly yes! As the "accidental speeder" ie someone
    believing the dual carriageway to be a 40mph limit and
    driving at (say) 38mph, is more likely to obey the signed
    limit, AND the deliberate speeder who does 35 in a 30 limit
    and 45 in a 40 limit will more likely do 35 than 45 if the
    limit is signed. (I'm discounting here the idiot minority
    who far exceed any posted
    limit)

    In law there is no requirement (in fact did someone post
    that there is in fact a statutory bar on 30mph reminders?)
    but logic and common sense suggest that the objective of
    safer roads would be better achieved by 30mph repeaters on
    street lit 30mph dual carriage ways

    "I thought dual carriageways were 40mph limits" is no
    defence, but neither is it the issue.

    pk

  17. "Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > Also, in the same issue, I managed to get the "star
    > > letter" and to give
    > the
    > > editor their due for once, they didn't mess around with
    > > the original too much ;-) They even added a nice picture
    > > of lots of bikes in Amsterdam....
    >
    > Those dutch bikes all look like heavy lumbering
    > monstrosities! Don't they ever ride quality lightweight
    > machines over there?

    My observation is that, in Amsterdam at least, 99% of bikes
    are the 1920's style gas pipe jobbies. That's not to say
    they are old, far from it, some are brand new, most are
    newish. They don't last that long through complete absence
    of maintenance!

  18. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 09:51:24 +0000 (UTC), "PK"
    <[email protected]>:

    >The "should there be 30mph reminders or just cameras to
    >catch speeders" debate always seems to be approached here
    >from the standpoint of the anti-motorist-cyclist "The
    >buggers should know the law and obey it; if they don't,
    >they should be prosecuted". Now there is a certain
    >irrefutable logic to that.

    You said it ;-)

    >But, ipso facto, there is confusion and lack of
    >knowledge/understanding among people who would otherwise
    >obey a signed limit (The 30 mph urban dual carriageway is
    >the exception and driving habits are ingrained and clues
    >taken from road nature not just whether there are street
    >lights or not)

    Really? My driving instructor told me about the street lamps
    and 30 limits rule, and I've honestly never had any trouble
    either remembering or understanding it. In fact my
    instructor told me that you should assume ever road is a 30
    limit unless you know for sure it isn't. These days the
    assumption seems to be that every road is a 90 limit unless
    there was a sign in the last 5 yards saying otherwise, plus
    a camera to enforce it.

    >A better logic is to approach the matter from the point
    >of view of the child standing by the side of the road
    >waiting to cross: Would 30mph reminder signs work to
    >reduce the average speed of the cars passing by and make
    >the road safer?

    Removing the cars would be the best solution there.

    >In law there is no requirement (in fact did someone post
    >that there is in fact a statutory bar on 30mph reminders?)
    >but logic and common sense suggest that the objective of
    >safer roads would be better achieved by 30mph repeaters on
    >street lit 30mph dual carriage ways

    No, logic and common sense indicate that road safety would
    be better served by educating drivers to treat 30 as the
    default in the absence of evidence to the contrary.

    --
    Guy
    ===
    posting. http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
    Washington University

  19. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    > Really? My driving instructor told me about the street
    > lamps and 30 limits rule, and I've honestly never had any
    > trouble either remembering or understanding it. In fact my
    > instructor told me that you should assume ever road is a
    > 30 limit unless you know for sure it isn't. These days the
    > assumption seems to be that every road is a 90 limit
    > unless there was a sign in the last 5 yards saying
    > otherwise, plus a camera to enforce it.

    Ah but your driving lessons were probably of the same
    vintage as mine when there were two speed limits - 30mph in
    built up areas and none elsewhere. These days there are a
    plethora of different speed limits in built up areas
    including 20, 30, 40 and 50mph. I often find myself
    wondering what the current speed limit is and support the
    provision of information. The old assumption that if there's
    lamposts it must be 30mph no longer applies and I see no
    problem with providing the information to remind drivers
    what the current limit is. After all its to our benefit that
    they know and comply

    Tony

  20. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 14:33:58 +0100, "Tony Raven"
    <[email protected]>:

    >Ah but your driving lessons were probably of the same
    >vintage as mine when there were two speed limits - 30mph in
    >built up areas and none elsewhere.

    Actually the limits I was taken through when learning
    included 30, 40, 50, NSL single carriageway and NSL dual
    carriageway. But I did have a very thorough driving
    instructor.

    --
    Guy
    ===