stark befahren

Geraint Jones

Guest
No, no, not another thread about nude cycling.

Whilst I understand why Sustrans feels it needs to have English on its bilingual maps of Wales, why
does the panel think that the NCN7 maps have German on them as well as English? I mean, if it were
French I could understand.

(Well, actually, I couldn't because my German's bit sharper than my French, but you know
what I mean.)

"Geraint Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> No, no, not another thread about nude cycling.
>
> Whilst I understand why Sustrans feels it needs to have English on its bilingual maps of Wales,
If it didn't have English they wouldn't be bilingual. Gan an Béarla orthu ní bheidís détheangach.

"Geraint Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> No, no, not another thread about nude cycling.
>
> Whilst I understand why Sustrans feels it needs to have English on its bilingual maps of Wales,
> why does the panel think that the NCN7 maps have German on them as well as English? I mean, if it
> were French I could understand.

Presumably the Welsh consists of something like Baa baa baa baa baaa ba ba (written in a format to
exclude all vowels) so the English is required to make it intelligible to humans.

If you had just listened to the American senator (Republican) on the Today programme you would
replace German with a 'relevant' European language such as Estonian -- France & Germany now being
irrelevant as their leaders have kow towed to the American World View (if that is not oxymoron).

"Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Geraint Jones" <[email protected]> wrote ...
> > Whilst I understand why Sustrans feels it needs to have English on its bilingual maps of Wales,
> If it didn't have English they wouldn't be bilingual.

Yes, that was what I meant: that is the anglocentric view of the world.

Tony W <[email protected]> wrote:

[snip]
> Presumably the Welsh consists of something like Baa baa baa baa baaa ba ba (written in a format to
> exclude all vowels) so the English is required to make it intelligible to humans.
Ba-da-bing ... You're forgetting, of course, that the Welsh alphabet has 7 vowels :)

Simon
--
Simon Ward, Accent Optical Technologies (UK) Ltd., York, YO31 8SD, UK "You'd never guess the things
that I do, I've had the Devil round for tea ..."

Geraint Jones wrote:
> No, no, not another thread about nude cycling.
>
> Whilst I understand why Sustrans feels it needs to have English on its bilingual maps of Wales,
> why does the panel think that the NCN7 maps have German on them as well as English? I mean, if it
> were French I could understand.
>
> (Well, actually, I couldn't because my German's bit sharper than my French, but you know what
> I mean.)

Why do you think it should be French instead of German?
--
Michael MacClancy

"Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Geraint Jones wrote:
> > why does the panel think that the NCN7 maps have German on them as well as English? I mean, if
> > it were French I could understand.
>
> Why do you think it should be French instead of German?

Ah, sorry: I was thinking of the bit of NCN7 that is in Scotland.

But I never said I thought it /should/ be French, just that in Scotland it would seem to be more
likely than German.

Geraint Jones wrote:

> But I never said I thought it /should/ be French, just that in Scotland it would seem to be more
> likely than German.

I remain curious to know whether it is a prejudice or a substantial reason that makes you think that
French would be more likely than German?
--
Michael MacClancy

"Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Geraint Jones wrote:
> > But I never said I thought it /should/ be French, just that in Scotland it would seem to be
> > more likely than German.
> I remain curious to know whether it is a prejudice or a substantial reason that makes you think
> that French would be more likely than German?

It was intended to be a glancing reference to the "Auld Alliance".

Geraint Jones wrote:
>> I remain curious to know whether it is a prejudice or a substantial reason that makes you think
>> that French would be more likely than German?
>
> It was intended to be a glancing reference to the "Auld Alliance".

Ah, well it glanced off me completely I'm afraid.:)

The reason for my interest is that I've met lots of Germans who regularly holiday in Scotland,
Ireland and Wales - they find it all very romantic. I believe that the French travel a lot less than
the Germans, hence my surprise that someone might thin that French would be a more likely second
language than German.

Did I see that you're from Llanelli? I have relatives called 'Twomey' who live there. Formerly
teachers at St. John Lloyd. Do you know of them?
--
Michael MacClancy

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 11:18:38 -0000, Michael MacClancy wrote:
>The reason for my interest is that I've met lots of Germans who regularly holiday in Scotland,
>Ireland and Wales - they find it all very romantic.

Me and my family travelled around the Lake District / southern Scotland quite a bit in the 70s and
80s. Almost always a friendly welcome, until it became apparent where we came from..

Then out-right warmly: "Aaah, you're from Holland!"

In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard of
[email protected] (Geraint Jones) wrote:

> Whilst I understand why Sustrans feels it needs to have English on its bilingual maps of Wales,
> why does the panel think that the NCN7 maps have German on them as well as English? I mean,

The Germans share with with the Brits a love of maps. Others use few if any maps: when I lived in
Italy, I had to adjust to the fact that the best available maps were not only ten time more
expensive than here, but even then bore only a passing resemblance to reality. Then anyone who saw
me with a map knew instantly I was foreign, and assumed German.

> if it were French I could understand.

I suspect the french are culturally as well as geographically somewhere between north and south on
such matters.

--
Wear your paunch with pride!

Geraint Jones wrote:
> No, no, not another thread about nude cycling.
>
> Whilst I understand why Sustrans feels it needs to have English on its bilingual maps of Wales,
> why does the panel think that the NCN7 maps have German on them as well as English? I mean, if it
> were French I could understand.
>
> (Well, actually, I couldn't because my German's bit sharper than my French, but you know what
> I mean.)

I've got a couple of OS style maps of near Dornoch written entirely in German dated 1944. I've
always wondered how my father inlaw acquired them.
--
Mark

Don't mention the war. I did it once and I think I got away with
it.