started HST today

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Dave K, Apr 3, 2005.

  1. Dave K

    Dave K Guest

    That was brutal, I need to get a bigger water bottle. At least I found
    my 15-rep maxes today and won't have to tire myself out with all that
    guess-and-check again.

    One big surprise - I could only lift 5 pound dumbells in a lateral
    raise with good form. I'm going to have to go to the desk and ask for
    the pink dumbells. :)

    But the whole cycle/SD thing seems pretty cool, and I got my nerdy
    little notepad with me and my Excel spreadsheet on the computer.

    (HST as described at
    http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html )

    Dave

    Tags:

  2. Jay

    Jay Guest

    "Dave K" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > That was brutal, I need to get a bigger water bottle. At least I found
    > my 15-rep maxes today and won't have to tire myself out with all that
    > guess-and-check again.
    >
    > One big surprise - I could only lift 5 pound dumbells in a lateral
    > raise with good form. I'm going to have to go to the desk and ask for
    > the pink dumbells. :)
    >
    > But the whole cycle/SD thing seems pretty cool, and I got my nerdy
    > little notepad with me and my Excel spreadsheet on the computer.
    >
    > (HST as described at
    > http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html )
    >
    > Dave

    Have you tried something similar before? What was your training like before
    this? Split, heavy volume?

  3. Dave K

    Dave K Guest

    On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 15:14:52 GMT, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Dave K" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> That was brutal, I need to get a bigger water bottle. At least I found
    >> my 15-rep maxes today and won't have to tire myself out with all that
    >> guess-and-check again.
    >>
    >> One big surprise - I could only lift 5 pound dumbells in a lateral
    >> raise with good form. I'm going to have to go to the desk and ask for
    >> the pink dumbells. :)
    >>
    >> But the whole cycle/SD thing seems pretty cool, and I got my nerdy
    >> little notepad with me and my Excel spreadsheet on the computer.
    >>
    >> (HST as described at
    >> http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html )
    >>
    >> Dave

    >Have you tried something similar before? What was your training like before
    >this? Split, heavy volume?

    It was on-and-off, usually not a split routine, and never heavy
    volume. Most recently, it was 3x week, 2-3 sets per exercise, 4-5
    exercises, going to failure every set, and only loosely keeping track
    of the weight (which plateaud). Whereas the HSTroutine I'm organizing
    is 1-2 sets per exercise, 12 exercises.

    7 months should give time for 4 complete cycles and show
    apples-and-apples as far as how much i can lift and whether I
    plateaud. So if I stick with it and remember in 7 months, I'll do
    that.

    Anyone else doing HST?

    Dave