Started off as bird food...

Jmcquown

Guest
...someone said birds like pasta. Plain pasta, like spaghetti or macaroni. Okay, I have a baby
parrot (lovebird). So I cooked up 2 cups of macaroni yesterday afternoon. Put two Tbs. of it it in
her treat cup. Does the bird even look at it? No.

So I'm staring at the remaining 2 cups of macaroni. Well heck, I have to do something with this! I
had a roll of garlic-cheese someone had given me. Okay, time to make mac & cheese! Garlic cheese, a
little butter, heated through then topped with a sprinkling of wheat germ.

I had a small serving of this while watching the 'Queer Eye for the Straight Guy' marathon last
night, although I'm pretty sure they would *not* have approved of the roll of garlic cheese ;) Hey,
I like Velveeta too.

Jill

> ...someone said birds like pasta. Plain pasta, like spaghetti or
macaroni.
> Okay, I have a baby parrot (lovebird). So I cooked up 2 cups of macaroni yesterday afternoon. Put
> two Tbs. of it it in her treat cup. Does the
bird
> even look at it? No.
>
> So I'm staring at the remaining 2 cups of macaroni. Well heck, I have to
do
> something with this! I had a roll of garlic-cheese someone had given me. Okay, time to make
> mac & cheese! Garlic cheese, a little butter, heated through then topped with a sprinkling of
> wheat germ.
>
> I had a small serving of this while watching the 'Queer Eye for the
Straight
> Guy' marathon last night, although I'm pretty sure they would *not* have approved of the roll of
> garlic cheese ;) Hey, I like Velveeta too.
>
> Jill

Could it be that the birds prefer it raw? My particular parakeet won't eat anything exept seeds.
Not fruit, not treats, not bird pellets, only seeds.... -Adam

Adam Schwartz wrote:
> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> ...someone said birds like pasta. Plain pasta, like spaghetti or macaroni. Okay, I have a baby
>> parrot (lovebird). So I cooked up 2 cups of macaroni yesterday afternoon. Put two Tbs. of it it
>> in her treat cup. Does the bird even look at it? No.
>>
>> So I'm staring at the remaining 2 cups of macaroni. Well heck, I have to do something with this!
>> I had a roll of garlic-cheese someone had given me. Okay, time to make mac & cheese! Garlic
>> cheese, a little butter, heated through then topped with a sprinkling of wheat germ.
>>
>> I had a small serving of this while watching the 'Queer Eye for the Straight Guy' marathon last
>> night, although I'm pretty sure they would *not* have approved of the roll of garlic cheese ;)
>> Hey, I like Velveeta too.
>>
>> Jill
>>
> Could it be that the birds prefer it raw?

Of course it should be cooked. No oil, no salt. Even a large bird with a huge beak won't crack down
on a dried piece of macaroni.

My particular parakeet
> won't eat anything exept seeds. Not fruit, not treats, not bird pellets, only seeds.... -Adam

My avian vet suggested an organic pellet diet. He also said, to wean the bird gradually from seed,
treat the bird like you would a child. Yes, they will go after the tasty seeds first. So make them
harder to get to. Put some on the bottom of the cage and put the pellets in the main food cup. It
worked. Peaches will definitely go after the seed like a kid in a candy store, but she also now
munches down on the organic pellets full force.

Adam, have you tried celery leaves for your 'keet? The ones I've had in the past adored celery
leaves. So does this lovebird. Dried greens are also an option, or you could buy one of those
green growing "kits". My keets always loved those. Check out the offerings on the Drs. Foster &
Smith website.

Jill (who will be enjoying more of the mac & cheese later today)