Startin runnng again - need advice

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Scrutor, Mar 16, 2004.

  1. Scrutor

    Scrutor Guest

    I had to give up running a couple of years ago because of
    constant problems with my Achilles tendon. I will admit,
    that I used bad running methods then - no warm-ups or
    stretches, etc.

    Can anyone advise me as to what the best things are to do
    before a five-kilometre run? I'd appreciate any help.

    Tags:

  2. Bully

    Bully Guest

    Scrutor wrote:
    > I had to give up running a couple of years ago because of
    > constant problems with my Achilles tendon. I will admit,
    > that I used bad running methods then - no warm-ups or
    > stretches, etc.
    >
    > Can anyone advise me as to what the best things are to do
    > before a five-kilometre run? I'd appreciate any help.

    A four kilometre run?

    --
    Bully Protein bars -- http://www.proteinbars.co.uk
    Everything else -- http://www.proteinbars.co.uk/tmof.html

  3. Ellis

    Ellis Guest

    "Scrutor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I had to give up running a couple of years ago because of
    > constant
    problems
    > with my Achilles tendon. I will admit, that I used bad
    > running methods then - no warm-ups or stretches, etc.

    The latest research seems to show that there is no benefit
    in terms of injury reduction in stretching before sports.
    Warming up can help, and it is best to be as sports-specific
    as possible.

    > Can anyone advise me as to what the best things are to do
    > before a five-kilometre run? I'd appreciate any help.

    Start slow. Use the first kilometre or whatever as
    your warm up.

    Ellis
    --
    Apply yourself. Take a few risks. Have fun with it.

  4. Bill

    Bill Guest

    >> I had to give up running a couple of years ago because of
    >> constant problems with my Achilles tendon. I will admit,
    >> that I used bad running methods then - no warm-ups or
    >> stretches, etc.

    Many years ago, to deal with a sore achilles, I did some
    static stretches after the runs and pains went away. The
    logic given: that a limber calf unloads the achilles and
    allows it to heal between runs.

    You can do some strengthening exercises for this as well,
    with emphasis on the gastrocnemius and soleus, in eccentric
    contraction.

    > The latest research seems to show that there is no benefit
    > in terms of injury reduction in stretching before sports.

    Especially, stretching before warming up. It begs the
    question why not. We know stretching stresses cold muscles
    and other tissues. And we know static stretching triggers a
    stretch reflex that resists elongation. Ask a PT familiar
    with PNF to demonstrate three ways to overcome this reflex.

    If we stress the cold muscle with static stretching, it
    should fail sooner. The more vigorously one stretches, the
    more pronounced the stretch reflex and the more we "tear"
    the muscles.

    Other common ailments you can anticipate, that have somewhat
    similar solutions: runner's knee (PFS and ITBS), plantar
    fascitis (PF), shin splints (MTSS), sciatica from a tight
    piriformis muscle, ... As long as you back off until you
    learn how to cope they need not be of any longterm
    consequence.

    Stretching certainly won't help if we just run harder and
    longer, until injury. So, learn to run within your present
    limits, understand "scientific" training methods, learn
    about your particular needs for shoes, running surface,
    running form, recovery from training, ...

    Warming up can help,
    > and it is best to be as sports-specific as possible.

    Unfortunately, running is plyometric--your legs impact
    pavement. With a sore achilles, taking the first running
    steps cold must be the worst thing you can do. So, in
    this instance, the more specific the warmup, the greater
    the damage.

    Massage the calf as vigously as you can, gradually removing
    any soreness. Warm up the tissues using a resistance drill
    such as spinning on an exerbike. Walk for many minutes on
    your course. Only then begin a slow run. If you use a low
    impact heelstrike when you first begin to shuffle,
    contracting the shin muscles signals the calf to release on
    each stride. Do your PNF or contract-release stretching
    after the runs.

  5. In article <[email protected]>, Scrutor wrote:
    > I had to give up running a couple of years ago because of
    > constant problems with my Achilles tendon. I will admit,
    > that I used bad running methods then - no warm-ups or
    > stretches, etc.

    Stretches aren't going to prevent you from hurting your
    achilles tendon ...

    > Can anyone advise me as to what the best things are to do
    > before a five-kilometre run?

    What you do *while* you're doing the 5k run is more
    important.

    > I'd appreciate any help.

    Here's a description of what not to do:

    <advice type="bad"> Run exactly the same route and exactly
    the same distance every day. Run the route as fast as you
    can. You will make rapid gains as a beginner, so make sure
    you bring your stopwatch and set a new "PR" each time you
    run. If todays run is not faster than yesterdays, it means
    that you're doing something wrong. </advice>

    The above is a pretty accurate description of the way
    beginners often approach training, and it often leads to
    long lasting soft-tissue injuries (like achilles
    tendonitis). It did so with me. Some things you can do to
    address this:

    (1) Train at the proper pace. If you have some idea as to
    how fast you are capable of running 5k, a good rule of
    thumb for a typical training run is about 1:45 per
    mile slower, which means that your ordinary training
    runs should be *several minutes slower* than an all
    out effort.

    (2) Vary the distance you use to train. If you always run
    5km, you will not have any sense of what an aerobic pace
    is, because at such a short distance, you don't need to
    maintain a purely aerobic pace. If your normal run is
    5km, do a single 10km run each week.

    (3) Don't always bring a stopwatch with you. Getting rid of
    the stopwatch relieves pressure to run fast. A heart
    rate monitor may be useful -- heart rate monitors are
    good for monitoring intensity and making sure you're in
    the aerobic range. When you're training with a heart
    rate monitor, you try to keep your heart rate in a
    certain range, and either slow down or take a walk break
    (followed by a return to a slower pace) when your heart
    rate exceeds a certain level.

    (4) Pay attention to breathing. If you need to breathe every
    4 steps, you are probably going too fast. You should be
    able to maintain one breath every 6 steps or so (I
    actually breathe 3-3-2 so that I can play music in 4-4
    time signatures in my head and still breathe at an easy
    pace). You may *prefer* to breathe every 4 steps, but if
    you do so, it should be because you want to, not because
    you need to. If you need to breathe more often than once
    every 4 steps, if this happens, you're overextended
    (should never happen except at the end of a race) --
    stop and walk.

    (5) Vary your training routes. Consider using a heart
    rate monitor to keep track of intensity. You'll know
    with acceptable accuracy how far you ran based on
    effort level (heart rate monitor) and time --
    acceptable for the purpose of logging milage anyway.
    You won't know your exact pace, or compare your
    workout "speed" to other workouts, but this is
    actually a good thing (because you shouldn't be
    gunning for a PR every workout)

    Cheers,

  6. Seanbassett

    Seanbassett Guest

    "Scrutor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I had to give up running a couple of years ago because of
    > constant
    problems
    > with my Achilles tendon. I will admit, that I used bad
    > running methods then - no warm-ups or stretches, etc.
    >
    > Can anyone advise me as to what the best things are to do
    > before a five-kilometre run? I'd appreciate any help.

    if i was you i probally start off with a 3.1 mile run

  7. Ed Friedman

    Ed Friedman Guest

  8. Jd

    Jd Guest

    On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 15:29:58 +0100, Also Sprach "Scrutor" <[email protected]> :

    --
    "Sounds a bit like Cossie's Low Fat Ketogenic Bulking Diet." - rj
    "Symmetry and proportion don't count for tits, as long as the tits are large." - JC Der Koenig

  9. Topcounsel

    Topcounsel Guest

    >>Can anyone advise me as to what the best things are to do
    >>before a five-kilometre run?

    Oh, goody. Another round of steroid-addled posts of
    vulgarities no doubt coming our way.

  10. Matthew

    Matthew Guest

    "TopCounsel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >>Can anyone advise me as to what the best things are to
    > >>do before a five-kilometre run?

    > Oh, goody. Another round of steroid-addled posts of
    > vulgarities no doubt coming our way.

    My first piece of advice to OP is don't cross-post running
    questions to bodybuilding groups.

  11. Dot

    Dot Guest

    Bill wrote:
    Ellis wrote:
    >>>I had to give up running a couple of years ago because of
    >>>constant problems with my Achilles tendon. I will admit,
    >>>that I used bad running methods then - no warm-ups or
    >>>stretches, etc.
    >>

    >>The latest research seems to show that there is no benefit
    >>in terms of injury reduction in stretching before sports.
    >

    > Especially, stretching before warming up. It begs the
    > question why not. We know stretching stresses cold muscles
    > and other tissues. And we know static stretching triggers
    > a stretch reflex that resists elongation. Ask a PT
    > familiar with PNF to demonstrate three ways to overcome
    > this reflex.

    IIRC the last review I read (would have to dig it up but
    within last couple months in RRN, PP, or SIB) only concerned
    itself with special circumstances (possibly elites, as an
    example). Within any study some people will benefit from
    proper whatever (exercise, stretching, etc), some people
    won't. The averages, standard errors (sometimes), and
    significance (some will publish p values) are what is
    published. IIRC, one study had a p near 0.20 (maybe .25, but
    can't find paper at moment), and correctly indicated that
    there was no significance.

    However, from a user's point of view, I see a p of .25 as
    something where there was a trend toward something working.
    And I may be the same set of circumstances as someone where
    it worked - or I may be in a completely different population
    of people so the paper is irrelevant, or close to it.

    I know that I've found that "appropriate" stretching works
    for me - operational word being "appropriate" including
    having muscles at least a little warm - esp. for achilles
    issues. Some are things my PT taught me, including what he
    called muscle energy techniques, which are related to PNF.

    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people" -Bernd
    Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

  12. Scrutor

    Scrutor Guest

    Thanks (to most of you) for the very informative replies and
    advice. I shall read through it all, and apply the stuff
    that is useful. Hoping to get in the kilometres again soon.

    Cheers.

    "Scrutor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I had to give up running a couple of years ago because of
    > constant
    problems
    > with my Achilles tendon. I will admit, that I used bad
    > running methods then - no warm-ups or stretches, etc.
    >
    > Can anyone advise me as to what the best things are to do
    > before a five-kilometre run? I'd appreciate any help.

  13. Why would you start jogging again, after "constant problems"
    forced you to quit before? That's like kicking a cocaine
    habit, and then snorting again................but with a
    smarter approach. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, but we
    don't want to see posts from you in a few days, concerning
    your sore hooves.

  14. Dear Scrotum, UR welcome.

    "Scrutor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Thanks (to most of you) for the very informative replies
    > and advice. I

  15. stupid punkass bitch

    "Scrutor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I had to give up running a couple of years ago because of
    > constant problems with my Achilles tendon. I will admit,
    > that I used bad running methods then - no warm-ups or
    > stretches, etc.
    >
    > Can anyone advise me as to what the best things are to do
    > before a five-kilometre run? I'd appreciate any help.

  16. Scrutor

    Scrutor Guest

    news:19cca9ec.0403171014.3[email protected]...

  17. [email protected] (Miss Anne Thrope) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Why would you start jogging again, after "constant
    > problems" forced you to quit before? That's like kicking a
    > cocaine habit, and then snorting again................but
    > with a smarter approach. I'm not saying you shouldn't do
    > it, but we don't want to see posts from you in a few days,
    > concerning your sore hooves.

    You know, I never thought I'd see the day that Ann
    Thorpe would actually give REAL, LOGICAL, advice, but
    "itt" just did.

  18. Bully

    Bully Guest

    Scrutor wrote:

    > "Penile Dysfunction" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> stupid punkass bitch
    >>
    >> "Scrutor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >>> I had to give up running a couple of years ago because
    >>> of constant problems with my Achilles tendon. I will
    >>> admit, that I used bad running methods then - no warm-
    >>> ups or stretches, etc.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone advise me as to what the best things are to
    >>> do before a five-kilometre run? I'd appreciate any help.

    I thought that was obvious. He has penile dysfunction!

    --
    Bully Protein bars -- http://www.proteinbars.co.uk
    Everything else -- http://www.proteinbars.co.uk/tmof.html

  19. Shut up you english scrotum. We don't allow english faggots
    here. So just go away before I ban you, and delete all of
    your posts.