Starting again - 15 years later.

biomedtech

Jun 7, 2004
I've been out of mountain bicycling for almost 15 years. I've considered getting a bike again, but was struck by the huge changes from then to now.
Example.
1987 - My entry level Trek costs $270, and I discovered just how inadequate it was for single-track. Within months, I stepped up to a better Trek($800), and rode this until forced to sell it a couple years later.
2004 - I see Mongoose-branded products that appear to have everything a semi-couch potato needs, for less money than my first Trek. What is the catch to a bike that has:

1. 6061, oversize tubes
2. aluminum bars and seatpost
3. fully suspended frame
4. Shimano groupo (albeit low-end Tourney)
5. 1.95" aluminum rims
6. V brakes

Has the state-of-the-art advanced so much, that what used to cost 4 figures is now available at Walmart? At this price, I'm certain these bikes are not suitable, nor rugged enough to endure the kind of technical riding I once tried, but then, I'm no longer in the kind of shape to be able to ride that way. The hardest terrain I might get into these days would be some gravel roads, or jeep trails with cactus and mesquite thorns.
I hate to ask this in a forum with such dedicated cyclers, but is one of these cheap bikes all I really need for casual country roads? If not, then where should I be looking? Thank you.

Don't spend too much on a "first" bike because it sounds like you are the kind of rider that will be seeking prefection in yourself, and your bike, and you will be replacing it before too long anyway.
Or....... why not try a "frame builder", tell him what you have to spend, what you would like, and go from there................take a look at.................... <www.truenorthcycles.com>........you would get a great deal with the exchange rate, but I'm sure there are lots of builders in your area as well.

.........byfred

I don't live near a big city, so there are no custom services to avail, such as a frame builder. Perhaps you are right, a cheap bike may be the best way to get back into the sport to discover what I really need. Thanks.