Starting an on-line business/website

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Flashsteve, Feb 3, 2003.

  1. Flashsteve

    Flashsteve Guest

    He

    I am planning on setting up a web-site, primarily aimed at a specific bike advocacy 'niche'. I also
    would like to be able to sell a few related items from the website.

    My problem is that I am not real web-savvy (I do not presently have the skills to build my own
    website). I have seen some on-line consulting businesses that promise to essentially build a turnkey
    web-based business for a relatively small charge (I think one of them is called IBiz). Since I am on
    a limited budget, and this will be a very small venture, I do not want to invest a lot in it ($2000
    to $5000). Can anyway give me a lead on a consulting service that creates a turnkey business or
    maybe a newsgroup that discusses such things or any other resource?

    Thanks in advance,

    Steve Scarich

    Tags:

  2. Peter

    Peter Guest

    If your starting selling in a small way most web hosts now provide "shopping cart" sites which allow
    you to run a commercial site using their pre-defined set of templates to display your stock on your
    pages and accept payments online, and leaves them worry about server security etc.

    If you are currently using a host for a web site try their pages, or do a search on Google or
    Dogpile using "shopping carts" or similar phrases.

    The main problem I found when I used to set up commercial sites, is that to accept online card
    payments you have to have "merchant status" and the % or flat fees charged for this are so high as
    to preclude most people wanting to start up small. peter

    "FlashSteve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > He
    >
    > cut...
    I also would like to be able to sell a few related items
    > from the website.

    cut.... Can anyway give me a lead on a consulting service that