Starting bike

Thrive

Jan 2, 2014
So as with many people, in my youth I was given a bike, which is a pretty decent 'mountain bike.' I am looking to transition into training for some minor road races and don't know the real differences between a road or mountain bike besides the tires and I suppose the weight of the frame. With a decent pair if road tires is there a real need for a dedicated road bike as long as I'm not looking to seriously compete?

Thrive,
Having both a mountain and a road bike I have noticed a few major differences.

1. Frame weight.
2. Gearing ratios
3. Tire sizes
4. Handle bar profile
5. Rider positioning

As mentioned before I have yet to ride my road bike but I have been told I should see an increase in average speed due to some of the items mentioned above.

Thanks,
John S

That doesn't surprise me so much, though I wonder in part how much of a disservice I will be doing myself to not get a road bike. Eventually I'm sure I can grab one used but for now I was thinking of putting road tires on it and going for it.

Thrive said:
That doesn't surprise me so much, though I wonder in part how much of a disservice I will be doing myself to not get a road bike.  Eventually I'm sure I can grab one used but for now I was thinking of putting road tires on it and going for it.  
Putting some slicks on your wheels is a cheap experiment to run. Do it, and see what you think.

At some point in our lives, we've all been at the "ride what you have, if you can't have what you want" stage, but, a road bike gives you a weight savings over long distances, a more aerodynamic riding position, and the ability to vary your hand position on the bars. You just aren't going to compete in a race against guys on road bikes, if racing is in your future. Definitely something you want to think about down the road. For now, enjoy what you have. Better than no bike.

I actually have a multi-hand setup for my mountain bike, as well as some other convenient kit. It's mainly a way to see what I think of road cycling then racing, and I'll consider the larger investment.