Starting building my commuter today...

Lonnie Utah

Banned
Aug 21, 2004
Frame: Schwinn mesa GSX (my original mtb). Standard MTB gearing 42x30x22 Front 34x11 Rear. Removed: Knobbies, climbing bars. Installed: Fenders, slicks. Revived: head light (it won't be needed for a while).

Took it for a test spin around the neighborhood. Everything seemed to check out. I've got way more low gears than I need. Either the front gearing or rear gearing is going to get revamped. Most likely the rear as it's easier to deal with (and cheaper). I've got a weird commute. about 9-10 miles over hilly to flat terrain to the light rail station, 30 mins on the train (being a government worker I can get a year long train pass for $20.00) and then 2-3 miles to the office. I've got a locker room and shower there. Any advice for transporting clothes? (Most likely it will be by backpack.) I'm going to give a test run next week. The only down side is I won't be able to do my daily road bike ride at lunch.

Any other suggestions for tweaks to the bike our general suggestions?

L

Yes, I have set up a couple of MTBs for training/commuting. After the slicks, my suggestion is 28/38/48 chainrings with "shorter" cranks, road length not mtb. A road cassete on the rear, say 12-25 if 8 speed or 11-25 if 9 speed. Flat bars instead of the risers..

Lonnie Utah said:
Any advice for transporting clothes? (Most likely it will be by backpack.)
When packing your clothes, lay them out flat on top of each other, fold them all together then ROLL them from one end to the other, prevents major creasing (unless you're gonna carry an iron). Also makes them easier to fit inside a small dry-bag, and leaves more room for other stuff (lunch). If you can get away with it, carry a couple of sets of clothes, then leave one of these in your locker :
a) as an emergency set in case you get soaked on the way
b) because it means that you don't need to carry a pack every day (great in summer)
c) means that you can use the space in your pack for carrying other items to/from work (theres always the odd day you want to bring something in)

I started commuting to work about two months ago and also built up a MTB. I installed a flat bar with bar ends (have a few hills in my commute; gives me the option for different hand positions) and recently put a rear rack on as well. I was using a backpack which isn't too bad but thought a rack would be better as I sometimes have to lug a heavy load. As Batesy has stated, the folding and rolling trick with your clothes works a treat and, when done right, will see your clothes looking crisp not crumpled. I haven't bothered bringing extra clothes to leave at work as yet as I have nowhere to hang them. There are three other guys in my department who already do this and they've taken up all the space in our converted server rack; these are decent for hanging coats etc.