Starting Mountain Bike Orienteering

ScottyLan

Oct 17, 2007
Hey guys and girls,

I am looking into starting to participate in mountian bike orienteering in victoria. I live in the dandenongs and i am after some bits of advice:

Firstly, anyone here participate in this sport?
Secondly, looking for a average bike to start using, Any suggestions you can give me to wht to look for, and what would suit this sport?

Look forward to any responses.

Thanks
Scotty

Hey Scotty,

I guess you've either already had a go or decided not to by now, but I thought I'd reply anyway.

I occasionally have a go - but while I'm not too bad at reading the maps, I'm using a hybrid with knobblies on and am way too slow to be competitive. It's still fun anyway.

I've not noticed any particular bike being more popular than any other during events. Most MTBO paths are recognisable tracks, trails and firebreaks - heading cross-country is a violation of the rules, so anything that can handle a few bumps is probably adequate. I personally wouldn't recommend using a hybrid if you want to be fast :)

I've generally found orienteers to be really friendly and helpful. The MTBO convenor in your state might be the best person to start with. I have seen bikes loaned at events to newbies, but I don't know how well the loaner and the loanee knew each other beforehand.

I'm looking forward to next season and hope that you are too.

Cheers,
K

ScottyLan said:
Hey guys and girls,

I am looking into starting to participate in mountian bike orienteering in victoria. I live in the dandenongs and i am after some bits of advice:

Firstly, anyone here participate in this sport?
Secondly, looking for a average bike to start using, Any suggestions you can give me to wht to look for, and what would suit this sport?

Look forward to any responses.

Thanks
Scotty