Starting out again.

stiletto666

Sep 1, 2006
Howdy,

Well I am starting out on that epic quest to find a new road bike after years of riding one of the original x-trainer bikes from Malvern Star.Let's just say that I was not prepared for the range out in the market and the ensuing confusion that followed.

My question is does anyone has any recommendations for me that fall in the budget range of about $900 - $ 1200. I have been doing a alot of reading concerning models from Avanti, Giant, Cytek and Raceline but after talking to several bike shop proprietors in Perth. I am even more confused as they have each recommended a different brand.
confused.gif

Can anyone help me out.

confused.gif

Ok, we have the budget.

How old? How flexible? Flat Bar or drop bar?

Many of us older riders ride Flat Bar road bikes, Felt SR*, Giant CRX*, Avanti Blade, etc.

For the money you should ba able to get 3x9 speed Tiagra equiped or with some 105 components on special.

Sorry George,

My fault at leaving that info out but I am looking at drop bar bikes and as to age, I am 40 and relatively flexible though I could do with a little less around the middle.
biggrin.gif

Todd

Hi Todd,

I'm over 55, it gets worse at my age, consider a shorter top tube than you may normally ride. My Felt is a 53cm, I'm 5'7", on the way out, it could be longer, on the way home it could be shorter. :D

It is important to be properly measured and fitted, if you have the time, see Budgie before you buy, it will save lots on physio bills: http://www.trysport.com.au/services.htm

There are some good specials on Felt, the F75 and F80 was available in August, the F90 and F100 for September: http://www.deanwoods.com.au/store/category136_1.htm Talk to Phil @ Runners World, he will be able to find something and maybe price match. ;)

stiletto666 said:
does anyone has any recommendations for me that
Can anyone help me out.

confused.gif

Last week I was down at Mercer Cycles in South Terrace Fremantle and in the shop window is a nice Merida Speeder T3 (Tiagra gear) for $750.

Otherwise, George is your mentor!

Well it looks like I have found my bike the choice is down to two, either a Trek 1200 or a Masi Nuova Strada. I dont have to make a final decision fro a couple of days but I am leaning to the Masi.
cool.gif

The Masi is last years model but the price is almost right and the ride is comfortable and it fits my body size perfectly. The Trek is a great bike but I didn't feel as comfortable while riding it..
biggrin.gif

So the decision is a to go a little over budget or settle for the bike in budget. I will keep you all informed when I finally take possession of the new ride.
biggrin.gif

Thank you to everyone that has helped towards making this decision by offering their suggestions and experiences.

Todd

Well the decision is made and I pick up the new bike on Thursday afternoon after work.

I chose the Masi Nuova Strada (06 model) in the end as I liked the ride a little better than anything else that I had tried over the past couple of months. Admittedly I ended up paying a couple of hundred dollars more than I expected or budgeted
frown.gif
but I got a great bike and the new helmet thrown in as well.
biggrin.gif

To everyone out there that offered their sage advice, thanks again.

Todd
biggrin.gif