Starting out in road cycling

Ronan Scot

Jan 12, 2013
HI, i'm a 17 year old looking to start out in road cycling and could do with some advice on nutrition, the things to look out for when buying a bike and anything else to do with it.

whats your bike budget ?
whats your athletic background ?
what does your current diet consist of ?
do you have any certain goals to achieve on the bike ?

Bike Budget - £500 (or $800)
Athletic Background - haven't been so active recently but i used to do some mountain biking. not overweight, but i wouldn't call myself fit
Current Diet - haven't really been focusing on it much, cut out junk food for the most part a few months ago but i don't tend to focus on eating as healthily as i could be
as for certain goals, really i just aim to do it for fun, physical fitness and well, just become a good cycler that can cycle for many miles

cannondale,jamis,specialized and trek have aluminum bikes in the 1000.00 range . If you can break out another few hundred bucks than you could get an aluminum bike with shimano 105 level componants , that would be a big step up from the 1000 $ bikes .Check out the cannondale caad 8 5 105 . retails around 1450.00 , probably find it a little cheaper now that it is the off season . this type of bike would be an xlnt first bike , good for short hard rides aimed at whipping yourself into shape.

If the cycling bug grabs hold of you than your youth will only take you so far without good nutrition/fuel.Even if you are only doing 20 to 30 miles ( 1 - 2 hrs ) if it is a pace thats going to improve your stamina and strength than you will soon see the need to start fueling yourself better and better . otherwise your rides will be sluggish compared to what they could be . Now is a good time in your life to get into cycling. This will most likely stay with you throughout the coming years and you never know what direction endurance training will take you .
Keep an open mind to your physical fitness.

cheers, i'll see if i can get the funds together for something like that.

Do you have any advice on the kinds of foods i should be eating, or an eating pattern i should get into?

you have your budget set so i would recommend the Trek 1.1 for example, retailed at 740 usd. to chose the correct size is important, for that we need to know how tall are you (other measures like inseam are also desirable but with height you get a first general idea of frame size needed) For nutrition you should never ever ride without having your breakfast, or your lunch, or dinner if you are training at night. On longer rides you need to add a banana, or a power gel on your pocket, carry water or other fluids in your water bottles using one or two of them dependending on the distance you are doing and the climate,

Originally Posted by vspa .

you have your budget set so i would recommend the Trek 1.1 for example, retailed at 740 usd.
I second vspa's recommendation of the Trek 1.1. Trek did all the right stuff to hit this low price point. The new Fuji Sportif 1.7 is comparable in features and price, but I'd rather have a Trek.

You might be able to find a deeply discounted 2012 Fuji Roubaix equipped to hit your price. This would be a good choice, too. Avoid Fuji's Newest range, though, mercifully discontinued for 2013. The frame is a stone and "invisible" components such as wheels and brakes were selected by price alone.