starting out

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Fat Bastard, Apr 13, 2005.

  1. Fat Bastard

    Fat Bastard Guest

    I been reading about fitness and weight loss and want to start exercising.
    I'm thinking about jogging and some light free weights to burn fat and build
    muscles. I don't really have more than half and hour a day so I was thing I
    might start jogging a few miles each morning with those velcro weights on my
    ankles and wrists. Right now I'm six feet, 42 years old and 236 lbs but not
    too flabby as I had a big frame. I want to get undo 200 to get out of the
    red on the bmi chart. I've got good shoes and a soccer field nearby. Any
    thoughts on how to ease in to this routine? Oh yeah, I'm not a total potatoe
    as I coach hockey and did a lot of skating over the winter.

    FB

    Tags:

  2. Fat Bastard wrote:

    > I been reading about fitness and weight loss and want to start exercising.
    > I'm thinking about jogging and some light free weights to burn fat and build
    > muscles. I don't really have more than half and hour a day so I was thing I
    > might start jogging a few miles each morning with those velcro weights on my
    > ankles and wrists. Right now I'm six feet, 42 years old and 236 lbs but not
    > too flabby as I had a big frame. I want to get undo 200 to get out of the
    > red on the bmi chart. I've got good shoes and a soccer field nearby. Any
    > thoughts on how to ease in to this routine? Oh yeah, I'm not a total potatoe
    > as I coach hockey and did a lot of skating over the winter.
    >
    > FB

    Start with some light jogging, don't even bother with velcro weights.
    Use heavy weights. Heavy enough for you to do 3 sets of 8 reps and feel it.

  3. True Grit

    True Grit Guest

    Forget ankle and wrist weights, they are useless and will injure you.
    To start out jog as much as you can until you are out of breath, then
    walk until you catch it, repeat. You'll soon find yourself running more
    and walking less.
    Weights: buy a set of free weights, use the program that comes with it,
    but skip the leg excercises. Do a full weight WO every other day.

  4. Awa Tagoo

    Awa Tagoo Guest

    u can have $5,000.00 bucks in tool and you can't get things to work over
    a 10¢ part. let alone fine the fricking part....... butt Noooooooooo
    with no job for over 2½ years or a paycheck you has to come up with in
    genius ways to make things work.
    in short............
    why do god and engineers who make $5,000.00 bucks an hour.....come up
    with things so they can not befit.s with out the 10¢ part.
    I well tell you why, because you all are a bunch of cheap ass selfish
    s.o.b who well put the blame on a person who has no f ing job........A
    whore whole.

    Fine: I well fix the frocking bikes.......

    Hell hockey man u all
    are so frocking hard ass on all your taught million dollar hockey sports
    playing. Why don't you get out of your s.u.v. from your soccer field
    and get one of your some call free be persons to get your coffee and
    donuts and bitch that your to fat and can't run because some one like me
    don't have a frocking job to buy a 10¢ part.........
    Hell you got shoes and play hockey all winter. take one of your
    millions and buy some frocking weights. there couch great who wants to
    run now from his new s.u.v. to moms soccer field fat sir....and for god
    sack....lose some weight.........
    like the board who raise the teachers $ 2 years ago who now fires the
    Teachers because lack of $ now and says I don't pay them $ and I din;'t
    get no job .....
    I think I just went cross eyes baffles.......
    oh yes I bet they don't get denied in unemployment.and lets not forget
    the hmo......... mister I two fat nd only got 30 minutes to run at the
    soccer field.........surd..........
    first off ass whipoe my biks was trash before they were used for the
    past 2 years......and they still keep ticking from a scoeer mommie
    dadies like you.and to think evan 1 of you a whips would evan give a
    rats ass be on your own has to slide off your velvet seat.and get on a
    lawn that is takeing care off too. so you can go to micky D after your
    30 minute run again is be on my under standing.......
    I know because you has to pay taxs.......
    and feed your family.......
    well guest what.........
    baffel I went cross eye again..........

  5. Hugh Beyer

    Hugh Beyer Guest

    "True Grit" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Forget ankle and wrist weights, they are useless and will injure you.
    > To start out jog as much as you can until you are out of breath, then
    > walk until you catch it, repeat. You'll soon find yourself running more
    > and walking less.
    > Weights: buy a set of free weights, use the program that comes with it,
    > but skip the leg excercises. Do a full weight WO every other day.

    This whole "use the program that comes with it" is so bizzarely stupid I
    can't even figure out where it's coming from. What are you thinking? Do you
    know and approve of every program that comes with every weight kit? WTF?

    To the OP: The most important thing is what no one's said yet: eat less.

    Hugh

    --
    Experience keeps a dear school, but fools will attend no other.

  6. Larry Hodges

    Larry Hodges Guest

    Hugh Beyer wrote:
    > "True Grit" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> Forget ankle and wrist weights, they are useless and will injure you.
    >> To start out jog as much as you can until you are out of breath, then
    >> walk until you catch it, repeat. You'll soon find yourself running
    >> more and walking less.
    >> Weights: buy a set of free weights, use the program that comes with
    >> it, but skip the leg excercises. Do a full weight WO every other day.
    >>

    > This whole "use the program that comes with it" is so bizzarely
    > stupid I can't even figure out where it's coming from. What are you
    > thinking? Do you know and approve of every program that comes with
    > every weight kit? WTF?
    >
    > To the OP: The most important thing is what no one's said yet: eat
    > less.
    >
    > Hugh

    I miss the days where BS advice like this was always challenged...
    --
    -Larry

  7. Fat Bastard

    Fat Bastard Guest

    "Geezer From The Freezer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Start with some light jogging, don't even bother with velcro weights.
    > Use heavy weights. Heavy enough for you to do 3 sets of 8 reps and feel

    it.

    I want to foucs on the jogging or fast walking cause that should be the
    fastest way to lose weight. Swimming might be better but not with wieghts. I
    like the idea of the velcro wieghts cause it should help burn more calories
    faster. Anyone tired this, how much wieght did you use? Like is said i only
    have about a hlaf hour a day so a wieght regime and jogging seems like too
    much.

  8. Fat Bastard

    Fat Bastard Guest

    "Awa Tagoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    You are a very strange man.

    >Hell you got shoes and play hockey all winter. take one of your
    >millions and buy some frocking weights. there couch great who wants to
    >run now from his new s.u.v. to moms soccer field fat sir....and for god

    I don't play hockey, I coach for free so I don't have millions and I don't
    have an SUV (just an old volvo wagon) and we dont play soccer.

    >sack....lose some weight.........

    I'm not that heavy just a bit out of shape.

    >........ mister I two fat nd only got 30 minutes to run at the

    I only have a half hour cause I have to commute to my job as a bus driver
    which just barely pays the bill a keeps me out of shape. That why i'm here
    looking for ideas I can use in a half hour a day.

    Just my 10 cents.

    FB

  9. Fat Bastard

    Fat Bastard Guest

    > To the OP: The most important thing is what no one's said yet: eat less.
    >
    > Hugh

    I don't eat much. I might get too many calories from beer but at least it
    has antioxidants. I try to eat a lot of salads and fish, but that is really
    hard when I drive bus for a living.

    FB

  10. Rosie Ruiz

    Rosie Ruiz Guest

    "Fat Bastard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    >> To the OP: The most important thing is what no one's said yet: eat less.
    >>
    >> Hugh
    >>

    > I don't eat much. I might get too many calories from beer but at least it
    > has antioxidants. I try to eat a lot of salads and fish, but that is
    > really
    > hard when I drive bus for a living.

    beer has antioxidants? whatever good it MIGHT be doing you the alcohol is
    bad for you. period. you're in a rush to lose weight; drop the beer. drink
    water.

  11. Fat Bastard wrote:
    >>To the OP: The most important thing is what no one's said yet: eat less.
    >>

    > I don't eat much.

    Wanna bet? Try recording it, use www.fitday.com. Don't forget to
    include the beer. You may be surprised.

    Neil

  12. Ed Prochak

    Ed Prochak Guest

    the ankle/wrist weights do not significantly increase the calorie burn.

    Consider if you add a total of 4pounds of weights, you increase you
    total mass by only 2%. Running instead of walking will be more
    important.

    And running those weights cause the balance of your legs and arms to
    change. Will it directly injure you, may be not. But it may cause you
    to have a poor running form which can lead to injuries long term.

    The goal for exercise to burn calories is to get the heart rate higher
    than normal.

    SO lose the jogging weights and just run/walk, increasing the run
    portion over time.

    I don't really do weights, so I won't suggest what you need for those
    other than more reps is better than more weight per rep. (unless you
    want to do body building.)

    just go out and enjoy the run.

    ed

  13. Neil Gendzwill wrote:
    > Fat Bastard wrote:
    >
    >>> To the OP: The most important thing is what no one's said yet: eat less.
    >>>

    >> I don't eat much.

    > Wanna bet? Try recording it, use www.fitday.com. Don't forget to
    > include the beer. You may be surprised.

    Following up my own post - I used fitday to enter a typical person's
    meals, starting with a breakfast of a glass of milk, two fried eggs and
    toast with margarine, then a lunch of cheeseburger, fries and a medium
    coke. At that point I stopped, because I'd already exceeded my base
    metabolic rate of around 1850 calories/day - this without supper,
    dessert, snacks, alcohol or even any bacon with my eggs. Fitday can be
    a bit of a slap in the face - try it.

    Neil

  14. Ed Prochak

    Ed Prochak Guest

    Just ignore the trolls. They must be getting paid by the word, which
    might explain why they just keep posting more and more.

    Ed

  15. Hugh Beyer

    Hugh Beyer Guest

    "Ed Prochak" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > the ankle/wrist weights do not significantly increase the calorie burn.
    >
    > Consider if you add a total of 4pounds of weights, you increase you
    > total mass by only 2%. Running instead of walking will be more
    > important.
    >
    > And running those weights cause the balance of your legs and arms to
    > change. Will it directly injure you, may be not. But it may cause you
    > to have a poor running form which can lead to injuries long term.
    >
    > The goal for exercise to burn calories is to get the heart rate higher
    > than normal.
    >
    > SO lose the jogging weights and just run/walk, increasing the run
    > portion over time.
    >
    > I don't really do weights, so I won't suggest what you need for those
    > other than more reps is better than more weight per rep. (unless you
    > want to do body building.)

    You would have done better to stop sooner.

    Hugh

    --
    Experience keeps a dear school, but fools will attend no other.

  16. Hugh Beyer

    Hugh Beyer Guest

    "Fat Bastard" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    >> To the OP: The most important thing is what no one's said yet: eat
    >> less.
    >>
    >> Hugh
    >>

    > I don't eat much. I might get too many calories from beer but at least
    > it
    > has antioxidants. I try to eat a lot of salads and fish, but that is
    > really hard when I drive bus for a living.
    >
    > FB

    Dude. You're fat, you're out of shape, you're fixing to injure yourself,
    and you're arguing with the people who are trying to help you.

    If you're fat YOU ARE EATING TOO MUCH.

    If you're overweight RUNNING WITH ANKLE WEIGHTS IS STUPID.

    If you want to keep the muscles you do have WEIGHTLIFTING HEAVY IS GOOD.

    Hugh

    --
    Experience keeps a dear school, but fools will attend no other.

  17. Jehosophat

    Jehosophat Guest

    "Hugh Beyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Fat Bastard" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    >>> To the OP: The most important thing is what no one's said yet: eat
    >>> less.
    >>>
    >>> Hugh
    >>>

    >> I don't eat much. I might get too many calories from beer but at least
    >> it
    >> has antioxidants. I try to eat a lot of salads and fish, but that is
    >> really hard when I drive bus for a living.
    >>
    >> FB
    >>

    > Dude. You're fat, you're out of shape, you're fixing to injure yourself,
    > and you're arguing with the people who are trying to help you.
    >
    > If you're fat YOU ARE EATING TOO MUCH.
    >
    > If you're overweight RUNNING WITH ANKLE WEIGHTS IS STUPID.
    >
    > If you want to keep the muscles you do have WEIGHTLIFTING HEAVY IS GOOD.

    go heavy or or go home.

    > Hugh
    >

    > --
    > Experience keeps a dear school, but fools will attend no other.

  18. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    Ed Prochak wrote:

    <snip>

    > I don't really do weights, so I won't suggest what you need for those
    > other than more reps is better than more weight per rep. (unless you
    > want to do body building.)

    What a load of crap.

    --
    Jerry

  19. "Rosie Ruiz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > what's your rush? did you put the weight on overnight? are you planning on
    > getting in shape and comitting suicide? you've got the rest of your life

    > lose weight. do it right. the more responsibly you take the weight off the
    > better platform you'll be building for a healthy lifestyle. i think if you
    > focus on the running you'll improve quicker and you won't end up with

    aching
    > elbows from carrying stuff while you run/walk. a half hour is perfect to
    > start out. run for 30 seconds walk for 30 seconds repeat for 30 minutes.

    No big rush really but my doctor thinks I might have a heart mummer or
    prolapse or something like that so the sooner I take the wieght off the
    better off I'll be.

    It looks like everyone thinks I shouldn't use the velcro wiedghts, are they
    good for anything?

  20. "Ed Prochak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Just ignore the trolls. They must be getting paid by the word, which
    > might explain why they just keep posting more and more.
    >
    > Ed

    Troll? Isnt that from a fairy tail? So a troll is someone who writes crap?