starting out

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Fat Bastard, Apr 13, 2005.

  1. Hugh Beyer

    Hugh Beyer Guest

    Neil Gendzwill <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Fat Bastard wrote:
    >
    >> "Donovan Rebbechi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]

    >> point.And
    >>
    >>>You can burn more calories by increasing the pace.

    >> I can're increase the pace until I get shape which is why I need to
    >> increase the effort.

    > Well you're either a nicely clever troll or too stupid to live. Either
    > way, into the killfile with you.
    >
    > Neil

    Bingo. This one gets points.

    Hugh

    --
    Experience keeps a dear school, but fools will attend no other.

  2. Jehosophat

    Jehosophat Guest

    "Fat Bastard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    "Donovan Rebbechi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On 2005-04-14, Fat Bastard <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > I've got good balance for someone my size and I jog on soft ground - I
    > > tried
    > > it last night and I'm only a bit sore.

    > That's a non-sequiter. Good balance or not, using the weights isn't a good
    > strategy.

    That would be 'non-sequitur'. Us bus drivers get to read the comics every
    day :eek:)

    > You're not getting it. When you start, you alternate 30 seconds run with
    > 30
    > rest. Do that for half an hour. As your fitness improves, you can do 40
    > running to 20 walking, etc.

    >So when will I find time to do wieghts then. Can I lose 36 lbs just by
    >running half and hour a day? How long will this >take if I don;t change
    >anything else? How about running in boots instead to add weight? Maybe if I
    >wet my tack suit >before I go out!

    yes. Half and hour a day will lose wieght. 90 minutes is a lot of running.
    wetting your tack suit is a start but you'll get more weight if you crap
    it...actually that won't add weight come to think of it...you'll have to
    have someoen else wet and crap your tack suit.

    FB

  3. Dot

    Dot Guest

    Fat Bastard wrote:

    > like the idea of the velcro wieghts cause it should help burn more calories
    > faster. Anyone tired this, how much wieght did you use? Like is said i only
    > have about a hlaf hour a day so a wieght regime and jogging seems like too
    > much.

    If you really want to add weights to your legs, go snowshoe running (we
    still have snow at higher elevations and I know places farther south are
    still getting snow). Each snowshoe weighs about 1 lb and you'll be
    running on soft terrain. You *will* burn calories and get stronger while
    snowshoe running.

    In general, though, weights on legs are probably not a good idea (no
    personal experience except with mud-caked shoes), esp. if you are
    overweight already - messes up biomechanics.

    I do run with a backpack of fluids, food, emergency gear on long runs -
    close to 8-10 lb worth, I think - but that's because we don't have
    drinking fountains or 7-11s along trails, not for weight training or to
    lose weight.

    The only time I've used hand weights (5lb range) is cross-training
    walking drills where we used light ones for >100 reps for each of 6
    drills, but the goals weren't the same as weight lifting or to lose
    weight. They might help if you want to carry a water bottle.

    I generally do my separate strength training while dinner's cooking,
    otherwise I load a pack and power hike up a 10-30% slope hill. But,
    again, I was just training for trail running, not to burn calories.

    Dot

    --
    "running is a mysterious journey that we take not just to beat other
    people or to stay in reasonable physical shape - but to find out more

  4. Nameless

    Nameless Guest

    On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 16:33:28 -0400, "Jehosophat" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"Hugh Beyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> "Fat Bastard" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >> news:[email protected]:

    >>> I don't eat much. I might get too many calories from beer but at least
    >>> it
    >>> has antioxidants. I try to eat a lot of salads and fish, but that is
    >>> really hard when I drive bus for a living.
    >>>
    >>> FB
    >>>

    >> Dude. You're fat, you're out of shape, you're fixing to injure yourself,
    >> and you're arguing with the people who are trying to help you.
    >>
    >> If you're fat YOU ARE EATING TOO MUCH.
    >>
    >> If you're overweight RUNNING WITH ANKLE WEIGHTS IS STUPID.
    >>
    >> If you want to keep the muscles you do have WEIGHTLIFTING HEAVY IS GOOD.

    >go heavy or or go home.

    My gym is at home. Help me, I'm confused!!

  5. Nameless

    Nameless Guest

    On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:12:44 -0400, "Fat Bastard"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Donovan Rebbechi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> On 2005-04-14, Fat Bastard <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> > Why? Like I said it should burn more calories which is the whole

    >point.And
    >>
    >> You can burn more calories by increasing the pace.

    >I can're increase the pace until I get shape which is why I need to increase
    >the effort.
    >
    >> > I'm jogging on a soccer pitch. I know for a fact a lot of athletes use
    >> > wieght when then excercise.

    >> Never heard of a good distance runner do this. The athletes who do this
    >> probably aren't very bright.

    >Well I have met a few on misc.free.wieghts who use wieghts and are not very
    >bright.

    Me To.

  6. Nameless

    Nameless Guest

    On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:13:24 -0400, "Fat Bastard"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Har. May I suggest suicide? It's simpler.
    >>
    >> Hugh
    >>

    >Thats insensitive.
    >Micheal Jackson

    You're ignorant.
    Mikail Jacksonov

  7. Nameless

    Nameless Guest

    On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 13:58:30 -0700, "Larry Hodges"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Jehosophat wrote:
    >> "Jerry" <[email protected]_SPAM_ME_citlink.net> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>> Ed Prochak wrote:
    >>>
    >>> <snip>

    >>> What a load of crap.
    >>>

    >> a pant load of crap.
    >>

    >>> --
    >>> Jerry

    >A *huge* pant load of crap. Why do these people offer advice about
    >something they know nothing about?

    They're ignorant.
    Mikail Jacksonov

  8. "Nameless" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 16:33:28 -0400, "Jehosophat" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Hugh Beyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]
    >>> "Fat Bastard" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >>> news:[email protected]:

    >>> Dude. You're fat, you're out of shape, you're fixing to injure yourself,
    >>> and you're arguing with the people who are trying to help you.
    >>>
    >>> If you're fat YOU ARE EATING TOO MUCH.
    >>>
    >>> If you're overweight RUNNING WITH ANKLE WEIGHTS IS STUPID.
    >>>
    >>> If you want to keep the muscles you do have WEIGHTLIFTING HEAVY IS GOOD.

    >>go heavy or or go home.

    > My gym is at home. Help me, I'm confused!!

    gym? i was talking about fat chicks.

  9. Andrzej Rosa

    Andrzej Rosa Guest

    ["Followup-To:" header set to misc.fitness.weights.]
    Dnia 2005-04-14 Fat Bastard napisa³(a):

    > "Hugh Beyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]:

    >> If you want to keep the muscles you do have WEIGHTLIFTING HEAVY IS GOOD.

    > Yes but I don't have the time yet.

    Put some weight on your wife's barbell and perform:
    1. Military press - 3 sets of 8-6-4 reps
    2. Front squat - 3 sets of 8-6-4 reps
    3. Power cleans - 3 sets of 8-6-4 reps

    with the same weight. Do not rest more than a minute between sets and
    exercises. If you can complete last rep of the last exercise with good
    form, add more weight to your next workout.

    Some coach trained kids like that for football long time ago, and I read
    about it the other day, and liked it.

    Very simple and it will be effective.

    Want more? For the remainder of your 30 minutes time do alternating
    sets of pushups, pullups and split squats (or pushup, barbell row and
    hack squat, if you do not have a chinning bar).

    Most important part of this routine is short rest interval between sets
    and exercises. If your heart rate doesn't go occasionally to at least
    150, you are not working hard enough! If it ever slows down below 130
    you are resting too much!

    Do it three times a week.

    --
    Weighted chins and dips are good medicine.

  10. TenKBabe

    TenKBabe Guest

    Andrzej Rosa wrote:

    <snip>

    > Most important part of this routine is short rest interval
    > between sets and exercises. If your heart rate doesn't go
    > occasionally to at least 150, you are not working hard
    > enough! If it ever slows down below 130 you are resting
    > too much!

    How can you say this without knowing their maximum heart rate?

    tkb

  11. ["Followup-To:" header set to misc.fitness.weights.] On 2005-04-14,
    Fat Bastard penned:

    > "Hugh Beyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >> If you're fat YOU ARE EATING TOO MUCH.

    > I dont eat too much I'm just not get enough exercise. Theres a
    > difference.

    Maybe. But your mentioning beer as a major contributor to your diet
    makes me wonder ...

    Maybe you're not eating too much, but you might be eating the wrong
    things?

    >> If you're overweight RUNNING WITH ANKLE WEIGHTS IS STUPID.

    > Why? Like I said it should burn more calories which is the whole
    > point.And I'm jogging on a soccer pitch. I know for a fact a lot of
    > athletes use wieght when then excercise. What about soldiers who
    > march with full packs all day and night?

    This is an excellent point. Here are two more: One, soldiers are not
    typically overweight. Two, full packs are not worn on the ankles and
    wrists. People who need to carry things over long distances use their
    shoulders and backs because it's the most effective.

    If you insist on adding weight to your running/walking, I would highly
    recommend wearing a Camelbak. Not only can they get pretty heavy when
    full, but if you're interested in having water available, it's easy to
    get to. If a Camelbak is too much for your budget right now, a
    backpack with something heavy in it would work, too. Waterbottles
    would be a cheap and easy "something heavy."

    >> If you want to keep the muscles you do have WEIGHTLIFTING HEAVY IS
    >> GOOD.

    > Yes but I don't have the time yet.

    What about ditching two of your days of running/jogging for weight
    training?

    Me, my knees suck, so I'm not a big fan of a running regimen. Then
    again, you're doing it on a soccer field, which is much better than
    pavement.

    --
    monique

  12. Ed Prochak

    Ed Prochak Guest

    I think he spoke about my comments on weightlifting. I'll take it as a
    minor scolding and leave the weight lifting comments to others.

    I still don't understand your fascination with the ankle weights
    though. If you cannot run a full half hour, then why make it harder to
    do so by adding weights to your body in places there normally isn't
    such weight?

    Stick to a run/walk routine until you get to a half hour run. Note:
    implied in that is you should ignore distance at this point. Build your
    endurance first. If you don't increase your intake of food and drink,
    but you increase your exercise, your fitness will improve.

    ed

  13. Ed Prochak

    Ed Prochak Guest

    Look, read my whole comment. I let the OP know my experience (very
    little).

    If you are so much more experienced, why not add some information to
    the thread instead of crap?

    Ed

  14. Ed Prochak

    Ed Prochak Guest

    Fat Bastard wrote:
    > "Ed Prochak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > the ankle/wrist weights do not significantly increase the calorie

    burn.

    > > Consider if you add a total of 4pounds of weights, you increase you
    > > total mass by only 2%. Running instead of walking will be more
    > > important.

    > Yeah but this is "daed weight'. The wiehgt arn't muscles so its like

    they
    > wiegh more.

    Huh? sorry, my understand of physics leads me to think this is a silly
    idea.
    Isn't the excess fat in your body enough "dead weight"? That's my point
    that these weights add so little extra effort, and the wrong kind of
    effort, that they are not worth it.

    > > And running those weights cause the balance of your legs and arms

    > > change. Will it directly injure you, may be not. But it may cause

    you
    > > to have a poor running form which can lead to injuries long term.

    > I've got good balance for someone my size and I jog on soft ground -

    I tried
    > it last night and I'm only a bit sore.

    It is not a balance issue. Look, a little more physics lesson. Your
    legs are pendulums, and adding ankle weights changes the length of the
    pendulum (moves the center of gravity down to be precise). that changes
    the natural rhythm (frequency) and makes the leg musles have to work in
    ways they are not accustomed to. I wouldn't use them.

    > > The goal for exercise to burn calories is to get the heart rate

    higher
    > > than normal.
    > >

    > Exactly
    >
    > > SO lose the jogging weights and just run/walk, increasing the run
    > > portion over time.

    > I only have halkf and hour a day.
    >
    > > just go out and enjoy the run.
    > >

    > Thanks:
    > FB

    Walking or running for thirty minutes is fine, especially if you manage
    to build up to more than three days per week. Whatever you are doing,
    today is more than what you did before. keep at it. Consistancy is the
    key.

    Make it so you enjoy the run. Then you are more likely to continue it.

    Enjoy,
    ed

  15. Max Power

    Max Power Guest

    "Fat Bastard" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I been reading about fitness and weight loss and want to start
    > exercising. I'm thinking about jogging and some light free weights to
    > burn fat and build muscles. I don't really have more than half and
    > hour a day so I was thing I might start jogging a few miles each
    > morning with those velcro weights on my ankles and wrists. Right now
    > I'm six feet, 42 years old and 236 lbs but not too flabby as I had a
    > big frame. I want to get undo 200 to get out of the red on the bmi
    > chart. I've got good shoes and a soccer field nearby. Any thoughts on
    > how to ease in to this routine? Oh yeah, I'm not a total potatoe as I
    > coach hockey and did a lot of skating over the winter.
    >
    > FB

    The Body for Life book and program is a good start. The program is for
    beginners. You can add to it once you start doing more. I would high
    recommend this book and program. I do the weight lifting program and
    usually 45 minutes to an hour of running. The food guide is has good ideas
    too.

  16. Max Power

    Max Power Guest

    "Fat Bastard" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I been reading about fitness and weight loss and want to start
    > exercising. I'm thinking about jogging and some light free weights to
    > burn fat and build muscles. I don't really have more than half and
    > hour a day so I was thing I might start jogging a few miles each
    > morning with those velcro weights on my ankles and wrists. Right now
    > I'm six feet, 42 years old and 236 lbs but not too flabby as I had a
    > big frame. I want to get undo 200 to get out of the red on the bmi
    > chart. I've got good shoes and a soccer field nearby. Any thoughts on
    > how to ease in to this routine? Oh yeah, I'm not a total potatoe as I
    > coach hockey and did a lot of skating over the winter.
    >
    > FB

    The Body for Life book and program is a good start. The program is for
    beginners. You can add to it once you start doing more. I would high
    recommend this book and program. I do the weight lifting program and
    usually 45 minutes to an hour of running. The food guide is has good ideas
    too.

  17. Larry Hodges

    Larry Hodges Guest

    Ed Prochak wrote:
    > Look, read my whole comment. I let the OP know my experience (very
    > little).
    >
    > If you are so much more experienced, why not add some information to
    > the thread instead of crap?
    >
    > Ed

    Hi Ed,

    All I read was the following:

    >> I don't really do weights, so I won't suggest what you need for those
    >> other than more reps is better than more weight per rep. (unless you
    >> want to do body building.)

    Sure, you admitted to not knowing *a lot* about resistance training, but
    that you did know little. Namely, more reps is better than more weight per
    rep. This is BS. If you don't know, then don't offer advice.

    For strength training, the accepted norm is 3 - 8 reps. For hypertrophy
    training (that would be lifting weights for size, i.e. bodybuilding), most
    guys work in the 7 to 12 rep range.
    --
    -Larry

  18. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    Ed Prochak wrote:

    <snip>

    > I don't really do weights, so I won't suggest what you need for those
    > other than more reps is better than more weight per rep. (unless you
    > want to do body building.)

    What a load of crap.

    --
    Jerry

  19. "Jerry" <[email protected]_SPAM_ME_citlink.net> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Ed Prochak wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >> I don't really do weights, so I won't suggest what you need for those
    >> other than more reps is better than more weight per rep. (unless you
    >> want to do body building.)

    > What a load of crap.

    oh, leave Ed alone. he already took his lumps on this one.