starting running

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by [email protected], Aug 17, 2005.

  1. I am about to start running ,can any one give me advice.

    Tags:

  2. MSA

    MSA Guest

    > I am about to start running ,can any one give me advice.

    Why are you about to start running?

    --
    Mark
    ______________________________________

  3. Steve Hansen

    Steve Hansen Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I am about to start running ,can any one give me advice.

    Put one foot in front of the other. Alternate between feet.

    Seriously, read the rec.running FAQ messages, that Ozzie has just
    posted again. (Thanks, Ozzie.) Lots of good stuff in there.

    And, don't try to go too far, too fast. Most beginners injure
    themselves by trying to do too much before they are physically able.

    Steve

  4. Steve Hansen wrote:
    > And, don't try to go too far, too fast. Most beginners injure
    > themselves by trying to do too much before they are physically able.

    And here's the big key: realize and accept that *this means you*.

    It doesn't just mean "most people who are older or frailer or more
    foolhardy or less bio-mechanically lucky than you". Unless you happen
    to be especially young _and_ physically robust _and_ naturally cautious
    and patient _and_ have textbook-perfect anatomy and gait _and_ a light
    weight _and_ you're in very appropriate shoes for you, you're by
    default at very high risk to ramp up your running faster than some of
    your body's adaptations can keep up with.

  5. JJ

    JJ Guest

    "Steve Hansen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >> I am about to start running ,can any one give me advice.
    >>

    > Put one foot in front of the other. Alternate between feet.
    >
    > Seriously, read the rec.running FAQ messages, that Ozzie has just posted
    > again. (Thanks, Ozzie.) Lots of good stuff in there.
    >
    > And, don't try to go too far, too fast. Most beginners injure themselves
    > by trying to do too much before they are physically able.
    >
    > Steve

    YUP! He's right! I ran too far too fast and then ended up with pretty bad
    shin pain. Didn't have the legs to keep up with my heart/lungs...Now, I'm
    slowly getting back up to where I was before but with better shoes and no
    pain. Take it easy and slow and have fun! JJ