Starting today

Richard

Guest
Hello Everyone,

In a few hours I'll be going to my first Weight Watchers meeting. I'm a male, 5' 8", and 65 years
old and weigh 250#. I'm really struggling with my weight right now. It's gotten so that I have
trouble putting on my shoes. My doctor says if I lose weight it will help my health problems like
diabetes, lung disease and arthritis.

I've tried most of the diets out there like Atkins, Nutrisystem etc. I'm hoping that WW will teach
me how to eat so that I won't regain all the pounds after I lose.

Here goes,
--
Richard JLFAMXUIRWQA(at)spammotel(dot)com
250/225 first goal

Welcome to the group Rich! You can do it! I have similar problems and am close in age to you. I just
reached 40% loss. And like you, I've tried all the diets. Starting way back in the 60's.

--
Helen

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift: Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God is the object
of our faith; the only faith that saves is faith in Him

<>< ><> www.peagramfamily.com http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/

http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/MY_WEIGHT_WATCHERS.html

http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/RECIPES.html

225/187.4/145

Richard wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> In a few hours I'll be going to my first Weight Watchers meeting. I'm a male, 5' 8", and 65 years
> old and weigh 250#. I'm really struggling with my weight right now. It's gotten so that I have
> trouble putting on my shoes. My doctor says if I lose weight it will help my health problems like
> diabetes, lung disease and arthritis.
>
> I've tried most of the diets out there like Atkins, Nutrisystem etc. I'm hoping that WW will teach
> me how to eat so that I won't regain all the pounds after I lose.
>
> Here goes,
> --
> Richard JLFAMXUIRWQA(at)spammotel(dot)com
> 250/225 first goal

Good luck! It's a long road, but here you will find good companions to help you on the way.

Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Hi Richard,

and welcome to our wonderful group. WW really is the best way to go - well, I would say that, but I
really believe it to be true. It's not about being a diet, it's about diet as a whole - a new and
sustainable way of eating. There are so many benefits - not just the weight loss, but also the
health benefits that you need, so I wish you lots of luck with it. You CAN lose that weight, and you
CAN keep it off :)

--
krys

UK 157/132/126 Started March 1st 2001 GOAL August 16th 2001 ...definitely making progress...

"Richard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hello Everyone,
>
> In a few hours I'll be going to my first Weight Watchers meeting. I'm a male, 5' 8", and 65 years
> old and weigh 250#. I'm really struggling with my weight right now. It's gotten so that I have
> trouble putting on my shoes. My doctor says if I lose weight it will help my health problems like
> diabetes, lung disease and arthritis.
>
> I've tried most of the diets out there like Atkins, Nutrisystem etc. I'm hoping that WW will teach
> me how to eat so that I won't regain all the pounds after I lose.
>
> Here goes,
> --
> Richard JLFAMXUIRWQA(at)spammotel(dot)com
> 250/225 first goal

Hi Richard, We're right here WITH you! Welcome!
"Richard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello Everyone,
>
> In a few hours I'll be going to my first Weight Watchers meeting. I'm a male, 5' 8", and 65 years
> old and weigh 250#. I'm really struggling with my weight right now. It's gotten so that I have
> trouble putting on my shoes. My doctor says if I lose weight it will help my health problems like
> diabetes, lung disease and arthritis.
>
> I've tried most of the diets out there like Atkins, Nutrisystem etc. I'm hoping that WW will teach
> me how to eat so that I won't regain all the pounds after I lose.
>
> Here goes,
> --
> Richard JLFAMXUIRWQA(at)spammotel(dot)com
> 250/225 first goal

Welcome from another guy.

First, if your meeting is like mine, you may be a distinct minority. Men don't seem to frequent the
meeting time/place I chose. Stick with it anyway. The woman get use to our being in their midst but
it can feel awkward on occasion.

I think WW works. It allows you to eat pretty much any type of food but within reason. You learn
about portion control which other diets really don't stress enough. Atkins - eat as much as you want
other than carbs. So how much is right? Nutrisystems is clearly not aimed at real foods or chosing
the right amount.

Yes, I have had to give up potato chips and have moved away from pasta and freely eating cheeses and
too much desserts.

The one thing I realized is that while I thought what I was eating was normal, it was far from
normal. So cutting back and down may seem strained but THIS is normal eating. It is what my
naturally thin friends eat when we go out to dinner or eat at home. I thought I was predisposed to
HEAVY. WW showed me it was not so.

Use the flex points if the ONE VALUE seems too constrained. Add activity, walking, if nothing
else, also.

Fred
219.2/160.2/164. (Lifetime July 2003) Started WW: Oct 29, 2002

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 10:56:35 GMT, Richard <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hello Everyone,
>
>In a few hours I'll be going to my first Weight Watchers meeting. I'm a male, 5' 8", and 65 years
>old and weigh 250#. I'm really struggling with my weight right now. It's gotten so that I have
>trouble putting on my shoes. My doctor says if I lose weight it will help my health problems like
>diabetes, lung disease and arthritis.
>
>I've tried most of the diets out there like Atkins, Nutrisystem etc. I'm hoping that WW will teach
>me how to eat so that I won't regain all the pounds after I lose.
>
>Here goes,

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 10:56:35 GMT, Richard <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hello Everyone,
>
>In a few hours I'll be going to my first Weight Watchers meeting. I'm a male, 5' 8", and 65 years
>old and weigh 250#. I'm really struggling with my weight right now. It's gotten so that I have
>trouble putting on my shoes. My doctor says if I lose weight it will help my health problems like
>diabetes, lung disease and arthritis.
>
>I've tried most of the diets out there like Atkins, Nutrisystem etc. I'm hoping that WW will teach
>me how to eat so that I won't regain all the pounds after I lose.
>
>Here goes,

I'm a bit younger but was a bit heavier, and I too had difficulty tying shoes and walking upstairs
and.... WW will work if you keep anywhere hear the program. It takes time, but if you only lose 1lb
a week (and you could easily lose a bit more) next year you'll be 200# If you don't try to lose
weight you'll be 250# next year - or more.

You could try doing a little exercise to go with the diet. Walking is a great way to start out. Walk
a little at first and build up over time.Don't try to do too much at first, but every little helps.

Keep posting and good luck

Ray
--
rmnsuk overall - 273/206/182

Hi Richard! Welcome aboard this great newsgroup. Yes, WW's will certainly teach you to eat properly
& the side benefit will be that you will slowly lose weight while developing good habits at the
same time. It won't be easy, but it can be done. I look forward to reading about your future
successes. Elaine K

Richard wrote:

>Hello Everyone,
>
>In a few hours I'll be going to my first Weight Watchers meeting. I'm a male, 5' 8", and 65 years
>old and weigh 250#. I'm really struggling with my weight right now. It's gotten so that I have
>trouble putting on my shoes. My doctor says if I lose weight it will help my health problems like
>diabetes, lung disease and arthritis.
>
>I've tried most of the diets out there like Atkins, Nutrisystem etc. I'm hoping that WW will teach
>me how to eat so that I won't regain all the pounds after I lose.
>
>Here goes,

Welcome aboard Richard! I'm a bit younger ... and female ... but did have quite a bit of weight to
lose (I started out at close to 230). I do understand the struggling with the weight though. While
knowing that we have a lot of weight to lose does seem daunting, it is not impossible. Like you, I
have tried other *diets* before - did the nutrisystems, lost the weight, put it back on when I
stopped eating cardboard boxed food. It taught me nothing. WW is different, it makes sense! It's
based on using common sense, making choices in life - which also means that we can easily continue
on this same path once the weight is gone. We can't ever *quit* though, we have to learn that the
new choices we are making must be our new way of life.

Sounds to me like you have some great incentive to shed those excess pounds - nothing better than
being able to take some control over our health! Use this forum for support, tips, hints, recipes,
chat - whatever. It's a great group of people and I know I would not have had the success without
them. I wish you lots of luck and enjoyment on your journey, and hope to see you posting often.

Joyce
228.8 (2/5/02)/131/150 ---> 2/21/03 - total lost 97.8 lbs. LIFETIME: 4/4/03

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 10:56:35 GMT, Richard <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hello Everyone,
>
>In a few hours I'll be going to my first Weight Watchers meeting. I'm a male, 5' 8", and 65 years
>old and weigh 250#. I'm really struggling with my weight right now. It's gotten so that I have
>trouble putting on my shoes. My doctor says if I lose weight it will help my health problems like
>diabetes, lung disease and arthritis.
>
>I've tried most of the diets out there like Atkins, Nutrisystem etc. I'm hoping that WW will teach
>me how to eat so that I won't regain all the pounds after I lose.
>
>Here goes,

Hope it goes/went ok Richard. Good luck and welcome along ;o)

Laura

"Richard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hello Everyone,
>
> In a few hours I'll be going to my first Weight Watchers meeting. I'm a male, 5' 8", and 65 years
> old and weigh 250#. I'm really struggling with my weight right now. It's gotten so that I have
> trouble putting on my shoes. My doctor says if I lose weight it will help my health problems like
> diabetes, lung disease and arthritis.
>
> I've tried most of the diets out there like Atkins, Nutrisystem etc. I'm hoping that WW will teach
> me how to eat so that I won't regain all the pounds after I lose.
>
> Here goes,
> --
> Richard JLFAMXUIRWQA(at)spammotel(dot)com
> 250/225 first goal

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 10:56:35 GMT, Richard <[email protected]> wrote:

Good for you. You won't be sorry - I made the decision to join WW a few months ago, and just
recently found this group. Good luck to you!

Lynne
>Hello Everyone,
>
>In a few hours I'll be going to my first Weight Watchers meeting. I'm a male, 5' 8", and 65 years
>old and weigh 250#. I'm really struggling with my weight right now. It's gotten so that I have
>trouble putting on my shoes. My doctor says if I lose weight it will help my health problems like
>diabetes, lung disease and arthritis.
>
>I've tried most of the diets out there like Atkins, Nutrisystem etc. I'm hoping that WW will teach
>me how to eat so that I won't regain all the pounds after I lose.
>
>Here goes,

Welcome to ASDWW!! WW is a way of life (WOL) that continues after you've lost the weight. The new WW
is easy to use and allows us to eat anything and everything in moderation. Heck if I wanted to I
could have a Big Mac and Fries. Don't want to but could.

You've heard the statistic that 95% of dieters regain the weight? Well at WW 52% keep it off for 2
years and 37% keep it off for 5 years. Not perfect but enough that keeps me here.

Connie

--

Cheers,

Connie Walsh

241.5/205.5/155 RAFL 210.5/205.5/198.5

Richard wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> In a few hours I'll be going to my first Weight Watchers meeting. I'm a male, 5' 8", and 65 years
> old and weigh 250#. I'm really struggling with my weight right now. It's gotten so that I have
> trouble putting on my shoes. My doctor says if I lose weight it will help my health problems like
> diabetes, lung disease and arthritis.
>
> I've tried most of the diets out there like Atkins, Nutrisystem etc. I'm hoping that WW will teach
> me how to eat so that I won't regain all the pounds after I lose.
>
> Here goes,

I hope your first meeting went well Richard - you are well on the right path
to eating sensibly. Here's our welcome notice to get you started:

Welcome to this great newsgroup where you'll receive lots of support, advice, and encouragement.
Once a week on Sundays, I post a list of links that newcomers to asdww might find useful. You may
want to look for that later in the week, or do a backwards search for last Sunday's post.

In the meantime, here's our FAQ: http://www.didian.com/asdww/ our welcome notice:
http://www.geocities.com/welcomenotice/index.html

Frequently seen acronyms on this NG: NSV = Non-Scale Victory WOE = Way of Eating WOL = Way of Life
(Living) OP = on Points or On Program DH = Dear or Darling Husband
DS/DD/DGD/etc = Dear or Darling Son, Daughter, Granddaughter, etc WI = Weigh-in

Amberle3's Challenges:

HHH - Happy Healthy Holidays Exercise Challenge: http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/hhh.htm

NYNY - New Year, New You Weight Loss Challenge: http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/nyny.htm

THTP - Take Heart, Take Part Exercise Challenge: http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/thtp.htm

RafL - Resolutions are for Losers Weight Loss Challenge:
http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/rafl.htm

Other acronyms: http://www.wwlissa.com/dwlz100+/100+acronyms.htm

Here's a short synopsis of the USA program by Joyce -

How many points you can eat is only based on your current weight, as you lose weight those points
allowed will decrease (logic is that your body will need less to operate). At 183 pounds and based
on the new US flexpoints system, you will have a set point target of 24. In addition to this you are
allowed 35 flexpoints to be used throughout the week ... as well as any activity points you earn on
a particular day. When your weight drops to 175, your target drops to 22 points ... weight reaches
150, target once again drop to 20 points. 3 servings of dairy of recommended per day, 5 servings of
fruit and veggies, minimum of 6 glasses of water.

To calculate food and activity points, I love this computer desktop calculator ...
http://www.zythra.com/downloads/points.exe

The basic plan is easy. Eat at least your minimum daily number of points. Points do not carry over
from day to day. You are allotted 35 weekly flexpoints to be used at your discretion ... can divide
them up and use daily (would be an additional 5 points per day) or save them and use them for a
special occassion during the week. Activity points are earned based when exercising, but can ONLY be
used on the day they are earned.

If you can afford $15/month, the online ww program might be a great thing for you to look into.
There is lots of information available, as well as the food point database and journaling system.

Joyce WW starting weight: 228.8 - 2/5/02 current weight: 133.3 Lifetime: 4/4/03

Please note that if you live in onther countries (UK, Australia, NZ, Europe), the Points plans are
different. The UK and Australia/NZ calculate points based on saturated fat and total kilojoules.
Most of Europe calculates based on total fat and total kilojoules. The desktop calculator above can
handle all of these programs.

Disclaimer: As an unmoderated Usenet newsgroup, asdww is unusual in that most of the people who
participate are respectful, considerate folks who freely share their experience with and knowledge
of WW, weight loss, and maintenance. Yet occasionally, spammers, trolls, and flamers show up to post
advertising, false information, insults, and the like. Nearly all of the time, people like this are
just trying to yank someone's chain. Most of the regulars on this newsgroup offer their experience
as a suggestion to try if you're stuck, but are quick to advise that each person has to find what
works for him/herself. If someone posts something that doesn't sound right to you, ask the
newsgroup, ask your WW leader, or ask your health professional.

Much success on your weight loss journey! WW works!

--
Julie.
93.5/72.3/74 (WW)/72 (Personal) kg

Here's our FAQ: http://www.didian.com/asdww/ and welcome notice:
http://www.geocities.com/welcomenotice/index.html

"Richard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hello Everyone,
>
> In a few hours I'll be going to my first Weight Watchers meeting. I'm a male, 5' 8", and 65 years
> old and weigh 250#. I'm really struggling with my weight right now. It's gotten so that I have
> trouble putting on my shoes. My doctor says if I lose weight it will help my health problems like
> diabetes, lung disease and arthritis.
>
> I've tried most of the diets out there like Atkins, Nutrisystem etc. I'm hoping that WW will teach
> me how to eat so that I won't regain all the pounds after I lose.
>
> Here goes,
> --
> Richard JLFAMXUIRWQA(at)spammotel(dot)com
> 250/225 first goal

Welcome, Richard, and good luck! WW is a healthy and very reasonable way to lose weight, because it
teaches you new habits. You 'll do great!
--
Nathalie from Belgium
134.1/101.4/minigoal 99.9 Goal 68 Kg
134/1.102/212 lbs "Richard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello Everyone,
>
> In a few hours I'll be going to my first Weight Watchers meeting. I'm a male, 5' 8", and 65 years
> old and weigh 250#. I'm really struggling with my weight right now. It's gotten so that I have
> trouble putting on my shoes. My doctor says if I lose weight it will help my health problems like
> diabetes, lung disease and arthritis.
>
> I've tried most of the diets out there like Atkins, Nutrisystem etc. I'm hoping that WW will teach
> me how to eat so that I won't regain all the pounds after I lose.
>
> Here goes,
> --
> Richard JLFAMXUIRWQA(at)spammotel(dot)com
> 250/225 first goal

Welcome Richard.

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 10:56:35 GMT, Richard <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hello Everyone,
>
>In a few hours I'll be going to my first Weight Watchers meeting. I'm a male, 5' 8", and 65 years
>old and weigh 250#. I'm really struggling with my weight right now. It's gotten so that I have
>trouble putting on my shoes. My doctor says if I lose weight it will help my health problems like
>diabetes, lung disease and arthritis.
>
>I've tried most of the diets out there like Atkins, Nutrisystem etc. I'm hoping that WW will teach
>me how to eat so that I won't regain all the pounds after I lose.
>
>Here goes,

Prairie Roots
232/163.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

welcome to you and good luck, let us know what you thought, Lee
Richard <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello Everyone,
>
> In a few hours I'll be going to my first Weight Watchers meeting. I'm a male, 5' 8", and 65 years
> old and weigh 250#. I'm really struggling with my weight right now. It's gotten so that I have
> trouble putting on my shoes. My doctor says if I lose weight it will help my health problems like
> diabetes, lung disease and arthritis.
>
> I've tried most of the diets out there like Atkins, Nutrisystem etc. I'm hoping that WW will teach
> me how to eat so that I won't regain all the pounds after I lose.
>
> Here goes,
> --
> Richard JLFAMXUIRWQA(at)spammotel(dot)com
> 250/225 first goal

Hi and welcome to WW and to this group, Richard. You are going to do awesome, I can just tell. Have
fun with it, and GOOD LUCK!

--

~Kristin O~
272/239.4/172

"Richard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hello Everyone,
>
> In a few hours I'll be going to my first Weight Watchers meeting. I'm a male, 5' 8", and 65 years
> old and weigh 250#. I'm really struggling with my weight right now. It's gotten so that I have
> trouble putting on my shoes. My doctor says if I lose weight it will help my health problems like
> diabetes, lung disease and arthritis.
>
> I've tried most of the diets out there like Atkins, Nutrisystem etc. I'm hoping that WW will teach
> me how to eat so that I won't regain all the pounds after I lose.
>
> Here goes,
> --
> Richard JLFAMXUIRWQA(at)spammotel(dot)com
> 250/225 first goal

good post, Lee
Fred <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Welcome from another guy.
>
> First, if your meeting is like mine, you may be a distinct minority. Men don't seem to frequent
> the meeting time/place I chose. Stick with it anyway. The woman get use to our being in their
> midst but it can feel awkward on occasion.
>
> I think WW works. It allows you to eat pretty much any type of food but within reason. You learn
> about portion control which other diets really don't stress enough. Atkins - eat as much as you
> want other than carbs. So how much is right? Nutrisystems is clearly not aimed at real foods or
> chosing the right amount.
>
> Yes, I have had to give up potato chips and have moved away from pasta and freely eating cheeses
> and too much desserts.
>
> The one thing I realized is that while I thought what I was eating was normal, it was far from
> normal. So cutting back and down may seem strained but THIS is normal eating. It is what my
> naturally thin friends eat when we go out to dinner or eat at home. I thought I was predisposed to
> HEAVY. WW showed me it was not so.
>
> Use the flex points if the ONE VALUE seems too constrained. Add activity, walking, if nothing
> else, also.
>
> Fred
> 219.2/160.2/164. (Lifetime July 2003) Started WW: Oct 29, 2002
>
> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 10:56:35 GMT, Richard <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Hello Everyone,
> >
> >In a few hours I'll be going to my first Weight Watchers meeting. I'm a male, 5' 8", and 65 years
> >old and weigh 250#. I'm really struggling with my weight right now. It's gotten so that I have
> >trouble putting on my shoes. My doctor says if I lose weight it will help my health problems like
> >diabetes, lung disease and arthritis.
> >
> >I've tried most of the diets out there like Atkins, Nutrisystem etc. I'm hoping that WW will
> >teach me how to eat so that I won't regain all the pounds after I lose.
> >
> >Here goes,

Thanks