State of mind or a state of grace.

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Dave Pace, May 17, 2013.

1. Dave Pace

Dave Pace Member

So I decided to do my first upgrade to my bike. I got myself a new rear hub. A shimano ultegra 6700. I decided to go with the rear hub first due to I was seeing a wobble on the cheap Chinese hub that came with the bike. It looked like this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKMlP1zjdPU

Well needless to say I can feel the difference and I also have seen a 1 to 2 MPH increase over the old hub. Funny how little things like that will make so much of a difference. Now Im looking forward to replacing the 2300 9speed with the 6700 10 speed Ultegra GS.

Tags:

2. Veronique Velo

Veronique Velo New Member

Someone should have fitted one of these to Bradley Wiggins bike in the Giro yesterday, he could have done with the help!

On a serious note welcome to the world of upgrades, your wallet will never be the same again!

3. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

I'd be careful trying to ascribe the 1-2mph increase in speed to the hub. It would have had to have been in really bad shape to cause such a power loss. It's not unusual for people to ride faster with new equipment because they're excited about the new kit.

4. Dave Pace

Dave Pace Member

Naw the cheap china crap that was on there was really that bad. The wheel rolls so smooth and actually rolls for a long time. I would agree with you for the most part but this time it it true.

5. Henrywrites

Henrywrites Member

When getting Chinese products for your bike, always visit the authorized stores since they are going to offer you some majot discounts while selling some nice and quality products to you.

6. treecko142

treecko142 Member

You can really feel the difference if you're experienced enough between an authentic item and an off-brand or a bicycle part. I used to settle with the lower quality items before but then it just did more damage than just spending for the more expensive but reliable product outright.

7. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

Now that you have your new hub go ahead and spin the rear wheel like you did in your video and watch the gears again, and film it for us to see so we can compare the two. I think you may discover something interesting.