States Pass Laws for Cyclists

Felt_Rider

Oct 24, 2004
I thought this was an interesting article on USA Today.

I am just posting for your reading pleasure and I was not surprised by the feedback comments at the bottom. Most of us have been out there long enough to know many feel as if we should be cycling indoors. :)

At least in this case thought was given toward the cyclists by some politicians.

However, I hope that we can all do what we can when we can. In my group if someone new joins in for the day they are warned before the ride that when someone yells, "car back" that means get to a single line as quickly as possible. Those who fail to comply will not be allowed to ride with us again and we have had some that would not comply and their remaining ride with us for the day would become very miserable and not allowed to ride with us again.

My observations have been fairly positive by the drivers when they notice the group making a quick effort to help them pass. However, some drivers are just going to be ****** no matter what you do. :)

I wrote the 3 foot admendment to the existing state law here and got my rep to introduce it and get it passed a couple of years back.
I now hear that Idaho has a new law that allows cyclist to observe stops signs as a yield sign and gives them similar considerations at red lights.
This may be my next project.

jhuskey said:
I wrote the 3 foot admendment to the existing state law here and got my rep to introduce it and get it passed a couple of years back.
I now hear that Idaho has a new law that allows cyclist to observe stops signs as a yield sign and gives them similar considerations at red lights.
This may be my next project.

Very cool and great work.
Thanks for working for interests of the cyclists in your area.

Getting a law passed is easy in comparison to making people aware that a law exists. I would like to see tha state post 3 foot passing signs but that takes money and it is very difficult to get something passed that has financial note attached to it.

jhuskey said:
Getting a law passed is easy in comparison to making people aware that a law exists. I would like to see tha state post 3 foot passing signs but that takes money and it is very difficult to get something passed that has financial note attached to it.

An alternative that makes a lot of sense is to just add a question to the driver's license exam regarding car/bicycle interactions. Sure it would take longer to permeate the mindset of existing motorists, but it would be much cheaper and easier than changing "share the road" postings or similar.

Seems like I've seen a sign identical to the "Share the Road" signage somewhere, which simply added a 3-ft arrow between the car and cyclist. We can dream, anyay.

Personally, I'm very glad to have the 4-ft rule in effect here in Kansas. I have no illusion that it changes motorists' habits, but at least it removes the "I left him some room, but he swerved into me" defense when an incident does happen.

When I originally talked with my state rep. and told I wanted to get this thing passed he comment" I guess if a cyclist gets hit the driver is closer than 3 feet".:rolleyes:

Contacted the state yesterday and was informed that the law and a section on share the road is incorporated in the new drivers manual. Release date not know but at least it is moving forward.