static cycling

KimHart

Jul 30, 2009
I have been fortunate enough to have my name pulled out of the hat to stand on the fourth plinth in Trafalgar Square for my one hour as part of Antony Gormleys (Angel of the North) project - I want to provide power for an LED light show - I have the midnight hour - using pedal power. I have two bikes a full size one and small very old and heavy folding bike but wonder about buying a cheap exercise bike on ebay - but thats only half the story - how do I then hook up the bike to the lights? I have dymo lights on my bike that I brought abroad and think they are not so common over hear these days - but I want lots of them. Any tips, ideas, inspiration - much appreciated!

KimHart said:
I have been fortunate enough to have my name pulled out of the hat to stand on the fourth plinth in Trafalgar Square for my one hour as part of Antony Gormleys (Angel of the North) project - I want to provide power for an LED light show - I have the midnight hour - using pedal power. I have two bikes a full size one and small very old and heavy folding bike but wonder about buying a cheap exercise bike on ebay - but thats only half the story - how do I then hook up the bike to the lights? I have dymo lights on my bike that I brought abroad and think they are not so common over hear these days - but I want lots of them. Any tips, ideas, inspiration - much appreciated!

Don't understand the question.

Are you asking what type of bike you should use?
or are you asking about dynamoes?

can you clarify and then perhaps I might be able to answer you?

KimHart said:
... I want to provide power for an LED light show ... using pedal power. ..
If I understand you correctly (I'm with Lim, kinda hard to figure out what you're asking) you really want to know how to generate electrical power from a bicycle.

Lot's of folks have done it, but it's not a trivial task and if you're talking about a sizeable LED light show you won't be able to pull it off with a typical 6 watt bike light generator. How many LEDs are you planning to light? What's the total power budget or specifically the voltage and current requirements of your LED system?

You can buy complete systems or plans to build your own if you have the budget like these: Bicycle Generator.* The Pedal-A-Watt Stationary Bicycle Generator.
Free Plans To Build your own Bicycle Generator Pedal Power Station

Good luck,
-Dave

What do I mean? - I suppose its a where do I start question - is there a system I could buy out there - or hire or borrow - and run it on one of my bikes - then how to make a normal bike static - its really that I had the idea but no idea on how to get it off the ground and into reality. Thanks for the link re generator - will have a look at that.