stationary bike trainer

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by ARIEL CATANGAY, Jun 4, 2004.

1. ARIEL CATANGAY

ARIEL CATANGAY New Member

Hi!

It's rainy season here in the Philippines.
    I am a weekend (on and off) cyclist.
    Im planning to buy a stationary bike trainer.
    Is there any specific program that I have to follow
    to increase my stamina, strenghten my legs? in other words, to be a better rider.

Will appreciate any reply.

Bong

Tags:

2. dennis dee

dennis dee New Member

I dont follow any specific regimen derived from any expert opinion - iam just to lazy to read and follow that stuff. Anyways FWIW this works for me:

I do no more than 30mins. of roller training everyday with 15 minutes of that slightly above my maximum heart rate. I found that by keeping close to my threshhold and keeping it for the duration I dont loose much of my fitness by the time I do the weekend crit. I also try to maintain a steady speed of about 45kph (crit pace more or less)during the brisk pace of my workout. You will need a heart rate monitor for this exercise. Again, out of laziness I prefer to use rollers rather than a fixed trainer. This kinda keeps me focused on my indoor training rather than being bored to death by a fixed trainer.

3. johnwilky

johnwilky New Member

How do you get your heart rate above your maximum!!!! Doh!

4. dennis dee

dennis dee New Member

Trainers have adjustable resistance. Adjust your resistance at the brisk phase of your workout. If you still have problems reaching your max then something is wrong. When I am fatigued or too tired I have problems elevating my heart rate. In such case any training will be useless.

Also, are you sure you got your max heart rate correct?