Stationary Bikes

niightwind

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
My favorite kind of biking to do is outdoor biking. It is so much funner to have things to see, and easier to set a goal for how far I want to manage to get.

However, I live in Canada, and the winters where I'm from are very cold and storms are frequent. So during the winter months I often go on my stationary bike in my basement instead of outdoors. It is harder to do and honestly a bit boring in my opinion, but I still do it because biking is my main form of exercise.

Do you own a stationary bike, or use one at a gym? If you do, how often would you say you use it compared to your other bike(s)? Do you like stationary biking at all or is something you just do when you're incapable of biking outdoors at that time?

Reactions: haleylx4
I've used a few stationary bikes at the gym a few times and they were ok. The gym I went to had a set-up where they had TV's placed in front of the bikes so you could watch what you wanted while "riding". It was pretty good but not something I'd prefer to do over cycling.

It's a completely different experience and in my opinion in no way comparable to the joys of actually riding outdoors. I've used them before a few months after I broke my leg because I was in no condition to take mine for a spin.

Susimi, that sounds like a fairly good setup for people who need to bike indoors; the TV, I mean. Cycling outside is easier for me because I do not feel bored. Constant changes of scenery makes it easier to go for a longer period, even if it is generally the same scenery I see each time I go through that biking route. On a stationary bike you don't have that change at all, it is always staring at the wall or whatever else you have it facing towards. Even music playing isn't enough to keep me feeling excited during a stationary bike ride. If mine wasn't so heavy, I would definitely carry it in front of the TV when I use it so that I wouldn't run out of steam so quickly. -_-

I have a TV in front our stationary bike and play You Tube music videos. Sometiimes I will put on a Star Trek episode. But I rarely use the bike since I cycle once or twice a day. Just when there is a few days of bad weather.

I have tried stationary bikes but I just can't do it. It's so dull. The scenery never changes so I have no idea how "fast" I am going so to speak. It's just not something I can handle doing for long enough to really do my body any good. It's not like a treadmill where the machine keeps you going while you star at a TV.

I used to have a stationary bike when I disposed of my mountain bike. That was the time when we moved to this house. I was alien to the place so I dare not bike around. And that stationary bike was my substitute for exercising purposes. However, I find it so boring that I only used it for some time. It's really different using a moving bike than a stationary. By the way, I was amused at first with the speed meter because I could see how fast I was going. That was fun but it didn't last long.

I like riding or running outside because I love seeing the outdoors and that will lead me to say that I get bored using anything that will simulate the activities you do outdoors. I get bored easily with threadmills or elypticals and stationary bikes. I would rather spend my time to learn a new skill or read than get bored to death in the basement