Statistics concerning valve replacement/greetings to Dr. Chung

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Liam, Mar 7, 2004.

  1. Liam

    Liam Guest

    Just passing by with a question, with a 65 yr olf friend about to
    undergo heart valve replacement and a single bypass, I would
    very much like to know the success/failure rates he can expect :

    for surviving the operation the body's acceptance of the new
    valve the longetivity of valve and bypass.

    His cardiologist told him he had a year to a year and a half
    to live if he didn't have the operation; however his
    symptoms (shortness of breath) are fairly mild.

    Your insight will be greatly appreciated !

    liaM (best greetings to Dr. Chung who gave me welcome advice
    upon my own triple bypass !)

    Tags:

  2. liam wrote:

    > Just passing by with a question, with a 65 yr olf friend
    > about to undergo heart valve replacement and a single
    > bypass, I would very much like to know the success/failure
    > rates he can expect :
    >
    > for surviving the operation

    Depends on the co-morbidities (such as emphysema, diabetes,
    open heart surgeries, valve location, condition of
    graft(s), etc).

    > the body's acceptance of the new valve

    This should be essentially 100%.

    > the longetivity of valve and bypass.

    This depends on the valve (mechanical versus bioprosthetic)
    and the CAD risk factors.

    > His cardiologist told him he had a year to a year and a
    > half to live if he didn't have the operation; however his
    > symptoms (shortness of breath) are fairly mild.

    Such a poor prognosis is possible with severe valvular
    heart disease.

    > Your insight will be greatly appreciated !

    All praises belong to God, Liam :)

    Andrew

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist

    **
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?W1F522557

    What is all this about?
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?A26B16397

    Is this spam?
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?N69721867

  3. Liam

    Liam Guest

    Thank you for your answers, Dr. Chung. I have started the
    european version of the 2 pound diet this morning, i.e.
    the 1000 grams diet (tho' I may revise that downward to
    900 grams)

    With my best regards,

    liaM