Statistics, statisics and ...

Miche <[email protected]> wrote in news:micheinnz-
[email protected]:

> Meaning insurance reasons?
>

No, not insurance but Physically fit enough to do the job. I work for a telco, and in those days you
needed to climb poles. Back then it was a government owned company which also might have played a
part. Miche, you work for the ozzie govrnment don't you? As part of the custom guards I would have
thought a physical or at least a mental check would have applied. As you might be a nutter and allow
fuzzy toads into the country.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.

hahabogus <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Miche <[email protected]> wrote in news:micheinnz- [email protected]:
>
>> Meaning insurance reasons?
>>
>
> No, not insurance but Physically fit enough to do the job. I work for a telco, and in those days
> you needed to climb poles. Back then it was a government owned company which also might have
> played a part. Miche, you work for the ozzie govrnment don't you? As part of the custom guards I
> would have thought a physical or at least a mental check would have applied. As you might be a
> nutter and allow fuzzy toads into the country.
>

Oops - Miche is a Kiwi (New Zealand), not an Aussie <g>. I work for the Australian federal
government, although in the Quarantine service, rather than Customs - separate organisations. If
you're employed by either state (or at least NSW, where I worked before the service transferred back
to the Commonwealth) or Commonwealth governments here, there's a medical examination required.
Usually takes place after you've been appointed to the job, but whilst still on probation. Just the
one, though - no more during the job unless for a specific reason - workers comp case, problems with
illness/excessive sick leave etc. For private enterprise it would differ from company to company. I
worked for a couple, but that was years ago and don't recall whether there were medical checks -
maybe for very large companies.

No mental health check, though, that I recall - and I certainly have worked with some very odd
people <vbg>.

Rhonda Anderson Cranebrook, NSW, Australia