Stay with or change my mountainbike

Scaro

Jun 15, 2003
Hi everybody.

A doubt cought me. Change or not my mountainbike.

I have a 2003 trek 8500, it's a hardtail not bad equiped. The bike I would change it for is a 2005 trek fuel 7 ex wich is not as well equiped as the one I already have, but it has rear suspension. It is true that there are cheaper trek dual suspension bikes but I like the fuel 7 ex because of the frame material, that is the same of my actual 8500.

Another thing in consideration is the price, Fuel 7 Ex is about $1,760 and I dont have an idea about how much $$ could I get for my 8500. any idea?

Well I will apreciate your opinions whether change or not, and of course, the estimated price for my 8500.

Thnx

This is really going to depend on the terrain you ride on, and your personal preference regarding peformance vs. comfort. If you do most of your riding on fire roads and hilly terrain, then I'd say stay with the hard tail because you will save weight, and you will not lose power via suspension bob while climbing. On the other hand, if you do a lot of riding on very rough terrain, the rear suspension may be useful.

I recently switched back to a hardtail and am very glad I did so. My bike is a few pounds lighter, and no energy is lost to the rear suspension, so I'm noticably faster on the ascents, and no slower on the downhills.

If you really like your existing bike keep it. Especially if you have it set up better than the one you're looking at. Plus it would save you almost $2000. I personally like a hardtail better than a squishy bike but I also do mainly urban riding.

Well, after I red your answers and thought about them I decided not to change my bike, first, considering that I like to climb as easy as I can, the setup of both bike and finally the money I need first to buy the new bike and the money needed to upgrade it later.

Thnx for clearing my mind.