Steady State time vs FTP time

falls_alot

Mar 20, 2006
In Coggan's and Allen's book there is a phrase (para-phrased) in the Section on Sweet Spot training that states something about Cat 3's working up to doing 40 minutes of Sweet Spot training.

Then, about 1-2 pages later, it says that Cat 3's should work up to doing 60 minutes of L4 (95%-105%) of FTP.

It seems a bit inconsistent- wouldn't one want to do, say 80 minutes of Sweet Spot, then in the subsequent training phase move onto higher intensity, lower volume of 95%-105%?

Did I miss something?

Thanks,
Pat

falls_alot said:
....It seems a bit inconsistent- wouldn't one want to do, say 80 minutes of Sweet Spot, then in the subsequent training phase move onto higher intensity, lower volume of 95%-105%?...
I wouldn't read that section too literally with respect to SST based training. Their book doesn't really propose an SST base training plan and offers it primarily as a way to ease into FTP work with an allusion to rebuilding CTL mid season with SST.

Training with an SST focus isn't really covered in their book and the introduction of the PMC with concepts like CTL to measure overall training load are really important to making the kind of intensity / duration trades you're talking about. Or as Rick so aptly said recently "fitness is an integral". CTL is the key to understanding that integral and their book stops a bit short of that discussion.

Anyway, yes. I'd agree with your take on it. If you're using SST as the foundation of your aerobic training ala Lydiard then yes you'd expect to spend more time in SST and less time in focused L4 work. But the book is really just introducing the concept, not giving you detailed guidelines on how to apply it within different training philosophies.

-Dave

daveryanwyoming said:
and the introduction of the PMC with concepts like CTL to measure overall training load are really important to making the kind of intensity / duration trades you're talking about.
What are you suggesting? That your CTL should affect the IF chosen for a particular workout?

Steve_B said:
What are you suggesting? That your CTL should affect the IF chosen for a particular workout?
not Dr.W, but I suspect he was getting at the near to mid-term view vs. a single workout.

What I'd suggest is that your current CTL in the context of historical data and perhaps data from those you're competing against, should strongly influence your choice of workouts in the upcoming weeks and months. Not that any single workout IF matters a darn but the ensemble matters a lot.

CTL and FTP, FTP and CTL - which one matters most at which time of the year ....

<off soapbox> :D

Alex Simmons said:
thwack! :p <a la Batman fight scene>
No, no. That wasn't intended to be in an accusatory tone. I'm genuinely curious. That's all.Sorry.

Sometimes the internet sucks. :)

rmur17 said:
What I'd suggest is that your current CTL in the context of historical data and perhaps data from those you're competing against, should strongly influence your choice of workouts in the upcoming weeks and months.
That's kind of what I was thinking. I base it upon what it coming up in the 4-8 weeks and "where I am planning to be" at the end of that period. I guess I was reading something more ... I dunno... complicated... into it.

Paging DRW..........:)

Steve_B said:
That's kind of what I was thinking. I base it upon what it coming up in the 4-8 weeks and "where I am planning to be" at the end of that period. I guess I was reading something more ... I dunno... complicated... into it.

Paging DRW..........:)
I get away from the computer for just a couple of hours and miss all the fun :)

To be honest what I was thinking was that Hunter and Coggan's book isn't a training plan. It's more or less training philosophy agnostic. Coaches who thrive on LSD can use the contents just as well as Lydiard based SST advocates or the HIT folks with long intervals in the four minute region. Notice that Friel wrote the forward, Andy coauthored the text and I have no doubt the High Intensity guys can comfortably refer to its contents.

From that standpoint the specific advice of a certain athlete working up to 40 minutes of SST but then later working up to an hour or more of solid L4 isn't very meaningful. For the LSD guys and perhaps some still avoiding the mythical no mans land 40 minutes is plenty of time in SST. For the HIT guys 40 minutes is probably way too much time at that easy level and for the SST folks 40 minutes isn't nearly enough.

Steve_B said:
Steve_B said:
I think Rick had a pretty good take on where I'm coming from but to some extent yes. CTL is a way to measure the overall training load and that load is made up of individual workouts. I agree with Frenchyge and others who've suggested that the specific workout should be targeted to specific needs and we shouldn't lose sight of the concept of training our weaknesses. If all we did was look at CTL we'd all be doing LSD and huge mileage, that's for sure the easiest way to build big CTL numbers but it doesn't do much for building power or addressing a rider's specific weaknesses. But keeping an eye on CTL helps us balance our training over the course of weeks or months.

Warning Fever Induced Rant......
I used to think peaks were some sort of black magic. I'd feel great at random times and feel hammered at other times. I tracked mileage, hours on the bike, waking mood, waking HR, you name it and didn't see the pattern. CTL and the PMC has made those patterns crystal clear. You build CTL by steadily increasing overall training load in the form of TSS. During those times we stay in a state of mild to moderate fatigue and aren't likely to experience big peaks. We might set personal records as we continue to get stronger, but even better peaks await us if we also get fresh. If that load is comprised of workouts well chosen to fit the particular athlete's needs and well executed by the athlete then CTL represents the depth of specific training tailored to that athlete.

IOW, CTL represents the average daily training load we've adjusted to for approximately 3 to 3.5 CTL time constants or roughly 3 to 4 months. If the composition of that training is off target for the athlete then they'll be well adapted to the wrong training. But assuming the training is well chosen they'll be very well adapted to that load and that general training mix.

Back off from that level and relatively speaking we're resting. Keep track of TSB or whatever metric you like, but as daily TSS drops we're working below the level we've adapted to and we're fresher. We expect performance peaks during these times but CTL is also dropping so we're losing our hard earned base and now adapting to a lower workload. Keep up the CTL droop for too long and we spend away our training base and the peak will end.

Winter build is real easy for folks in the SST camp. Build CTL and build FTP. A blend of Tempo, SST, and L4 work does that real nicely. All of those can build CTL rapidly but are also intense enough to raise FTP. But what happens as the season approaches and we start addressing specific needs and weaknesses with L5, L6 and L7 work? In general, the higher intensity efforts build less TSS per workout and if not balanced somewhere with additional TSS building our weekly TSS falls and our CTL begins to fall. Unless we want to spend one of our precious peaks we've gotta find a way to build more CTL elsewhere in the schedule when we add high end work. One way to do that is to drop one or more SST sessions down to Tempo or even high L2 and extend them. It's just a lot easier both during the workout and from a recovery standpoint to build more CTL with longer easier efforts.

But we still don't want to lose site of the specific workout goals and most of us need to keep raising FTP even as the season approaches. Well, that's the art and magic of coaching and putting together a schedule that works for a particular athlete. Something's always gotta give and there's not enough training or recovery time to work everything all the time. You won't sprint like Boonen, climb like Ras win all the time trials and track race with the best of them. Even with unlimited training time(which no one really has) you just can't do all the specific high end work and still recover and still maintain or build your base so you have to make choices.

What was I saying? Oh yeah, I really do think CTL is the big picture context from which to view a lot of these tradeoffs. Specific workouts targeted to specific training goals still comes first but it ties together the workouts in a longer term sense and starts answering the question of when to introduce high end work and when to back some workouts but extend them to offset the lost workload. It provides a context that makes it a lot easier to understand why all the training levels or zones are relevent. Do half your training week racing or doing L5, L6, and L7 work and you might very well need a couple of long L2 or L3 days to stave off the CTL crash. Stay in the sweet spot and you may not need to go to long slower rides but unless you're a time trialist or triathlete you may be missing something more important.

Sorry for the rant Steve, I'm home with the flu and have spent way too much time laying in bed drinking tea. First time I've taken two back to back days off since October so for sure my CTL is crashing right now. But you've gotta listen to your body and I'll be back at it soon enough......

-Dave

Something about the forest (CTL) and the trees (workouts, specificity) me thinks.

Get well soon Dave.
Cuppa.gif

Cuppa.gif

Steve_B said:
No, no. That wasn't intended to be in an accusatory tone. I'm genuinely curious. That's all.Sorry.

Sometimes the internet sucks. :)
It was all in good fun ;)
I thought it was a good question.

Alex Simmons said:
Something about the forest (CTL) and the trees (workouts, specificity) me thinks.
Well said... and so succinct, I'll learn ;)

...Get well soon Dave.
Cuppa.gif
Cuppa.gif
Thanks Alex .... I'm humbled.

Here I am *****in' about a couple of lost training days and some sniffles. Funny how perspective creeps up on you. Hang in there mate.

-Dave

daveryanwyoming said:
What was I saying? Oh yeah, I really do think CTL is the big picture context from which to view a lot of these tradeoffs. Specific workouts targeted to specific training goals still comes first but it ties together the workouts in a longer term sense and starts answering the question of when to introduce high end work and when to back some workouts but extend them to offset the lost workload. It provides a context that makes it a lot easier to understand why all the training levels or zones are relevent. Do half your training week racing or doing L5, L6, and L7 work and you might very well need a couple of long L2 or L3 days to stave off the CTL crash. Stay in the sweet spot and you may not need to go to long slower rides but unless you're a time trialist or triathlete you may be missing something more important.
I understand and agree. What you are saying is it's not just CTL alone though. It's CTL and knowing how to use it.

daveryanwyoming said:
Sorry for the rant Steve, I'm home with the flu and have spent way too much time laying in bed drinking tea. First time I've taken two back to back days off since October so for sure my CTL is crashing right now. But you've gotta listen to your body and I'll be back at it soon enough......

-Dave
You're doing pretty well for having the flu. I would have no ability to type that much. :) The last time I had it, I was flat on my back about 22 hours per day for 6 days straight and only got out of bed because I couldn't stand it any longer (until I was so tired that I had to go back). I don't think I've ever been so sick in my life. :(

Get well. :)

daveryanwyoming said:
I get away from the computer for just a couple of hours and miss all the fun :)

To be honest what I was thinking was that Hunter and Coggan's book isn't a training plan. It's more or less training philosophy agnostic. Coaches who thrive on LSD can use the contents just as well as Lydiard based SST advocates or the HIT folks with long intervals in the four minute region. Notice that Friel wrote the forward, Andy coauthored the text and I have no doubt the High Intensity guys can comfortably refer to its contents.

From that standpoint the specific advice of a certain athlete working up to 40 minutes of SST but then later working up to an hour or more of solid L4 isn't very meaningful. For the LSD guys and perhaps some still avoiding the mythical no mans land 40 minutes is plenty of time in SST. For the HIT guys 40 minutes is probably way too much time at that easy level and for the SST folks 40 minutes isn't nearly enough.

I think Rick had a pretty good take on where I'm coming from but to some extent yes. CTL is a way to measure the overall training load and that load is made up of individual workouts. I agree with Frenchyge and others who've suggested that the specific workout should be targeted to specific needs and we shouldn't lose sight of the concept of training our weaknesses. If all we did was look at CTL we'd all be doing LSD and huge mileage, that's for sure the easiest way to build big CTL numbers but it doesn't do much for building power or addressing a rider's specific weaknesses. But keeping an eye on CTL helps us balance our training over the course of weeks or months.

Warning Fever Induced Rant......
I used to think peaks were some sort of black magic. I'd feel great at random times and feel hammered at other times. I tracked mileage, hours on the bike, waking mood, waking HR, you name it and didn't see the pattern. CTL and the PMC has made those patterns crystal clear. You build CTL by steadily increasing overall training load in the form of TSS. During those times we stay in a state of mild to moderate fatigue and aren't likely to experience big peaks. We might set personal records as we continue to get stronger, but even better peaks await us if we also get fresh. If that load is comprised of workouts well chosen to fit the particular athlete's needs and well executed by the athlete then CTL represents the depth of specific training tailored to that athlete.

IOW, CTL represents the average daily training load we've adjusted to for approximately 3 to 3.5 CTL time constants or roughly 3 to 4 months. If the composition of that training is off target for the athlete then they'll be well adapted to the wrong training. But assuming the training is well chosen they'll be very well adapted to that load and that general training mix.

Back off from that level and relatively speaking we're resting. Keep track of TSB or whatever metric you like, but as daily TSS drops we're working below the level we've adapted to and we're fresher. We expect performance peaks during these times but CTL is also dropping so we're losing our hard earned base and now adapting to a lower workload. Keep up the CTL droop for too long and we spend away our training base and the peak will end.

Winter build is real easy for folks in the SST camp. Build CTL and build FTP. A blend of Tempo, SST, and L4 work does that real nicely. All of those can build CTL rapidly but are also intense enough to raise FTP. But what happens as the season approaches and we start addressing specific needs and weaknesses with L5, L6 and L7 work? In general, the higher intensity efforts build less TSS per workout and if not balanced somewhere with additional TSS building our weekly TSS falls and our CTL begins to fall. Unless we want to spend one of our precious peaks we've gotta find a way to build more CTL elsewhere in the schedule when we add high end work. One way to do that is to drop one or more SST sessions down to Tempo or even high L2 and extend them. It's just a lot easier both during the workout and from a recovery standpoint to build more CTL with longer easier efforts.

But we still don't want to lose site of the specific workout goals and most of us need to keep raising FTP even as the season approaches. Well, that's the art and magic of coaching and putting together a schedule that works for a particular athlete. Something's always gotta give and there's not enough training or recovery time to work everything all the time. You won't sprint like Boonen, climb like Ras win all the time trials and track race with the best of them. Even with unlimited training time(which no one really has) you just can't do all the specific high end work and still recover and still maintain or build your base so you have to make choices.

-Dave
speaking of fever/chlls etc: it must be contagious as I picked up a flu recently. Some low-grade symptoms over the weekend, not bad on Monday ('rest' day but shovelled snow 1.5hrs + walking the dog) but about 3pm yesterday I started alternately sweating and then freezing at work. Got home and decided not to even attempt a workout. Today - not much worse really but I've no energy and my mind is even worse than usual. Last night I made a cup of tea and dumped coffee creamer into it (ugh). I think I have milk in this one but can't remember putting it there! :eek: :eek:

Winter/colds/flu's - are all part of it. Get well soon.

daveryanwyoming said:
I was thinking was that Hunter and Coggan's book isn't a training plan. It's more or less training philosophy agnostic.

...which was the intent.