Stealth Rider

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Fredzep, May 22, 2003.

  1. Fredzep

    Fredzep Guest

    The other day I was riding down a rough fairly steep section of trail at a moderate pace and got
    passed by a rider who was bombing it. He had to be going twice as fast as me. The guy passed real
    close without a shout and startled the living S out of me. The thing that I can't figure out is how
    his bike didn't make a sound at that speed on that kind or terrain. A woman was coming up after him
    going just as fast and I could hear her from the top of the hill. She said "to your left" and I said
    "ok" and went to the right to give her more room. Her riding partner was going a little slower than
    me making a huge amount of noise behind me. One minute I'm riding along, then whoosh, he (the rider
    who originally passed me) is right alongside of me. I didn't hear him until until he was next to me
    and when he passed there was only wind noise like when you are going really fast. When he was
    pulling away,same thing, no noise. That is a section of trail that is noisy as hell at even a
    moderate pace let alone taking it sans brakes. Not having any idea that he was coming up on me I
    could have gone to the left and we would have both been in a world of hurt. It can't imagine how
    someone could ride at that speed on that terrain without a freakin sound. It just baffles me.

    Fredzep

    Tags:

  2. Fredzep

    Fredzep Guest

    Meant to have new signature, just seeing if I got it to work.
    --
    "Gravity is a harsh misstress" The Tick

  3. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "Fredzep" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > The other day I was riding down a rough fairly steep section of trail at a moderate pace and got
    > passed by a rider who was bombing it. He had to be going twice as fast as me. The guy passed real
    > close without a shout and startled the living S out of me. The thing that I can't figure out is
    > how his bike didn't make a sound at that speed on that kind or terrain. A
    woman
    > was coming up after him going just as fast and I could hear her from the
    top
    > of the hill. She said "to your left" and I said "ok" and went to the right to give her more room.
    > Her riding partner was going a little slower than
    me
    > making a huge amount of noise behind me. One minute I'm riding along, then whoosh, he (the rider
    > who originally passed me) is right alongside of me.
    > didn't hear him until until he was next to me and when he passed there was only wind noise like
    > when you are going really fast. When he was pulling away,same thing, no noise. That is a section
    > of trail that is noisy as
    hell
    > at even a moderate pace let alone taking it sans brakes. Not having any
    idea
    > that he was coming up on me I could have gone to the left and we would
    have
    > both been in a world of hurt. It can't imagine how someone could ride at that speed on that
    > terrain without a freakin sound. It just baffles me.
    >
    > Fredzep

    My DH racer friend rides like that - I don't know how he's so amazingly smooth on everything. Don't
    know how he does it, but it sure is pretty. Although he's smart enough to warn people he's coming.

    Jon Bond

  4. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

    "Fredzep" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:[email protected]...
    > both been in a world of hurt. It can't imagine how someone could ride at that speed on that
    > terrain without a freakin sound. It just baffles me.

    What was he riding? Some hubs are quieter than others (The guy was definetly not riding Chris Kings
    or Hügis) and the fork on my bike is pretty quiet. A tight chain will prevent the rdlr. from
    bouncing around and making lots of springy noise. I will have to "take a listen" the next time I
    ride. Just how noisy is it? But bikes still make noise when they whack things.

    Did you see a ghost rider?

    -Dave

  5. Fredzep

    Fredzep Guest

    > What was he riding? Some hubs are quieter than others (The guy was definetly not riding Chris
    > Kings or Hügis) and the fork on my bike is
    pretty
    > quiet. A tight chain will prevent the rdlr. from bouncing around and
    making
    > lots of springy noise. I will have to "take a listen" the next time I ride. Just how noisy is it?
    > But bikes still make noise when they whack things.
    >
    > Did you see a ghost rider?
    >
    > -Dave

    I have no idea about what he was riding except that he was sitting so a dual susp I presume.

    Ghost rider was going to be the original title. At the time I wasn't thinking how quiet his bike
    was,I was too ticked off.

    Fredzep

  6. Fredzep

    Fredzep Guest

    "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Fredzep" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > The other day I was riding down a rough fairly steep section of trail at
    > > moderate pace and got passed by a rider who was bombing it. He had to be going twice as fast as
    > > me. The guy passed real close without a shout
    and
    > > startled the living S out of me. The thing that I can't figure out is
    how
    > > his bike didn't make a sound at that speed on that kind or terrain. A
    > woman
    > > was coming up after him going just as fast and I could hear her from the
    > top
    > > of the hill. She said "to your left" and I said "ok" and went to the
    right
    > > to give her more room. Her riding partner was going a little slower than
    > me
    > > making a huge amount of noise behind me. One minute I'm riding along,
    then
    > > whoosh, he (the rider who originally passed me) is right alongside of
    me.
    > > didn't hear him until until he was next to me and when he passed there
    was
    > > only wind noise like when you are going really fast. When he was pulling away,same thing, no
    > > noise. That is a section of trail that is noisy as
    > hell
    > > at even a moderate pace let alone taking it sans brakes. Not having any
    > idea
    > > that he was coming up on me I could have gone to the left and we would
    > have
    > > both been in a world of hurt. It can't imagine how someone could ride at that speed on that
    > > terrain without a freakin sound. It just baffles me.
    > >
    > > Fredzep
    >
    > My DH racer friend rides like that - I don't know how he's so amazingly smooth on everything.
    > Don't know how he does it, but it sure is pretty. Although he's smart enough to warn people
    > he's coming.
    >
    > Jon Bond

    I find more often than not people don't give warning but usually you can hear them since it is rocky
    or gravel strewn for most of the area. This guy really cut it close. Maybe he was messing with me,
    but that seems kind of dangerous to him as well.Thought about yelling after him but I didn' want to
    give him any satisfaction.

    Fredzep
    --

  7. Fredzep wrote:

    "Gravity is a harsh misstress"

    "Gravity.... not just a good idea, it's the law!"

  8. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Fredzep wrote:
    > The other day I was riding down a rough fairly steep section of trail at a moderate pace and got
    > passed by a rider who was bombing it. He had to be going twice as fast as me. The guy passed real
    > close without a shout and startled the living S out of me. The thing that I can't figure out is
    > how his bike didn't make a sound at that speed on that kind or terrain. A woman was coming up
    > after him going just as fast and I could hear her from the top of the hill. She said "to your
    > left" and I said "ok" and went to the right to give her more room. Her riding partner was going a
    > little slower than me making a huge amount of noise behind me. One minute I'm riding along, then
    > whoosh, he (the rider who originally passed me) is right alongside of me. I didn't hear him until
    > until he was next to me and when he passed there was only wind noise like when you are going
    > really fast. When he was pulling away,same thing, no noise. That is a section of trail that is
    > noisy as hell at even a moderate pace let alone taking it sans brakes. Not having any idea that he
    > was coming up on me I could have gone to the left and we would have both been in a world of hurt.
    > It can't imagine how someone could ride at that speed on that terrain without a freakin sound. It
    > just baffles me.

    Two options spring to mind. The first is that a lot of sounds from DH / FS bikes come from
    monocoque, box section and / or large tubing, combined with a shock not working perfectly. My
    brother's currently racing a new Edge Blade DH and it's supposed to be absolutely silent.

    The other thing is the chain. If it was tight and / or singlespeed, the chain wouldn't bounce around
    and you'd get less noise.

  9. FredZep says:

    >"Gravity is a harsh misstress" The Tick

    My favourite is still from the first episode of The Tick:

    "can't......... do.......... plaid!" The Chameleon.

    Steve that's the first _cartoon_ episode, not the wimpy "real people" version that came
    along later....

  10. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    He must have "flown" past you from the top of the hill.

    --
    - Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

    "Fredzep" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > The other day I was riding down a rough fairly steep section of trail at a moderate pace and got
    > passed by a rider who was bombing it. He had to be going twice as fast as me. The guy passed real
    > close without a shout and startled the living S out of me. The thing that I can't figure out is
    > how his bike didn't make a sound at that speed on that kind or terrain. A
    woman
    > was coming up after him going just as fast and I could hear her from the
    top
    > of the hill. She said "to your left" and I said "ok" and went to the right to give her more room.
    > Her riding partner was going a little slower than
    me
    > making a huge amount of noise behind me. One minute I'm riding along, then whoosh, he (the rider
    > who originally passed me) is right alongside of me.
    > didn't hear him until until he was next to me and when he passed there was only wind noise like
    > when you are going really fast. When he was pulling away,same thing, no noise. That is a section
    > of trail that is noisy as
    hell
    > at even a moderate pace let alone taking it sans brakes. Not having any
    idea
    > that he was coming up on me I could have gone to the left and we would
    have
    > both been in a world of hurt. It can't imagine how someone could ride at that speed on that
    > terrain without a freakin sound. It just baffles me.
    >
    > Fredzep

  11. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected].net...

    > Fredzep wrote:
    >
    > "Gravity is a harsh misstress"
    >
    > "Gravity.... not just a good idea, it's the law!"

    "Gravity - the earth sucks"

  12. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    > Technician [email protected] wrote: >I tried to find the letter
    from the Pentagon i got several years ago,
    >but could not. suffice as to say, it basically stated i am medically disqualifies from all
    >branches of the military, indefinitely. i keep checking back with the Air Force recruiter, but
    >still no luck.

    Go talk to the Marines or the Army and don't mention the letter. Just tell them you want to learn a
    trade and get in shape. If you test well you can probably even pick out a preferred job category.
    You can get that a&p apprenticeship out of the way. Just make sure you don't end up being a grunt or
    a cook! Air Force - bleccch! Who would want to be in a branch of the servide that doesn't drill when
    it's raining. Other than fighter pilots, is there really anyone in the Air Force you could look up
    to and say "that's how I want to be"? Even the navy might be preferable.

    tim