steam cleaning bicycle frame and components

Cyclopath! - Keiron

Guest
Is this a good idea assuming everything is well dried before re-assembly? I
would have though that the heat tolerance of the paint on a standard steel
frame would be greater than 100% (?). Any ideas? Thanks

Cyclopath! - Keiron wrote:
> Is this a good idea assuming everything is well dried before re-assembly? I
> would have though that the heat tolerance of the paint on a standard steel
> frame would be greater than 100% (?). Any ideas? Thanks

Pressurized steam will do a good job of washing all the grease outta
the HS, hubs and BB...

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Cyclopath! - Keiron wrote:
>
>>Is this a good idea assuming everything is well dried before re-assembly? I
>>would have though that the heat tolerance of the paint on a standard steel
>>frame would be greater than 100% (?). Any ideas? Thanks

> Pressurized steam will do a good job of washing all the grease outta
> the HS, hubs and BB...

Why would anyone feel the need to do that, anyway?

Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Cyclopath! - Keiron wrote:
> > Is this a good idea assuming everything is well dried before

re-assembly? I
> > would have though that the heat tolerance of the paint on a standard

steel
> > frame would be greater than 100% (?). Any ideas? Thanks

> Pressurized steam will do a good job of washing all the grease outta
> the HS, hubs and BB...

Cool. probably gonna take he steamer to the whole thing. it's a dump so i
guess it doesn't matter if it goes disastrously wrong. hope the flaky paint
will stand up to it.

cheers

catzz66 <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> > Cyclopath! - Keiron wrote:
> >
> >>Is this a good idea assuming everything is well dried before

re-assembly? I
> >>would have though that the heat tolerance of the paint on a standard

steel
> >>frame would be greater than 100% (?). Any ideas? Thanks

> > Pressurized steam will do a good job of washing all the grease outta
> > the HS, hubs and BB...
> >

> Why would anyone feel the need to do that, anyway?

OCD? but more likely a dose of the "because it's there" 's.

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 06:42:26 GMT, "Cyclopath! - Keiron"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Is this a good idea assuming everything is well dried before re-assembly? I
>would have though that the heat tolerance of the paint on a standard steel
>frame would be greater than 100% (?). Any ideas? Thanks

Steam is unlikely to damage the paint, but avoid this technique for
aluminum frames; their tolerance for high temps can be limited.
Otherwise, pretty much the same problems as occur with pressure
washers will also apply to steam cleaning; moisture will get into
places that do not dry quickly, dirt may be forced into things rather
than out in some instances, and all lubricants will be completely
stripped from the cleaned surfaces.

I would find it hard to justify firing up a steam cleaner for any
single bike's worth of dirt and accumulated crud.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Cyclopath! - Keiron wrote:
>
>>Is this a good idea assuming everything is well dried before re-assembly? I
>>would have though that the heat tolerance of the paint on a standard steel
>>frame would be greater than 100% (?). Any ideas? Thanks

> Pressurized steam will do a good job of washing all the grease outta
> the HS, hubs and BB...

What's with the obsession with cleaing in this
newsgroup? I just put a new chain (<$20) on my
bike every four to six weeks and wipe it down with
a clean rag once a week. Once a year I
rebuild/clean everything rebuildable.

Besides clean bike=weak legs. :)

--
Scott Johnson / johnson dot sa at comcast dot net

Scott Johnson wrote:
> Besides clean bike=weak legs. :)

That's why my bike has been so clean lately! Thanks for clearing up that
mystery.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 17:48:49 +0000, Werehatrack wrote:

> Steam is unlikely to damage the paint, but avoid this technique for
> aluminum frames; their tolerance for high temps can be limited.

Then I guess I should throw away my aluminum pots and pans...

Matt O.

your pots/pans are not heat treated, but you could probably use some new
ones anyway.

news:p[email protected]...

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 02:26:24 +0000, nc.rr.com wrote:

> your pots/pans are not heat treated,

Explain how steam (100C) affects heat treatment.

> but you could probably use some new
> ones anyway.

It's the last thing I need.

Matt O.

In article
<[email protected]>,
Scott Johnson <johnson.sa@TIBASICREADY!comcast.net>
wrote:

> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> > Cyclopath! - Keiron wrote:
> >
> >>Is this a good idea assuming everything is well dried before re-assembly? I
> >>would have though that the heat tolerance of the paint on a standard steel
> >>frame would be greater than 100% (?). Any ideas? Thanks

> > Pressurized steam will do a good job of washing all the grease outta
> > the HS, hubs and BB...

> What's with the obsession with cleaing in this
> newsgroup? I just put a new chain (<$20) on my
> bike every four to six weeks and wipe it down with
> a clean rag once a week. Once a year I
> rebuild/clean everything rebuildable.
>
> Besides clean bike=weak legs. :)

Not only here. But do not get the idea that everyone
but you feels that way. There is a positive correlation
between devotion to clean bicycle parts and an
inclination to post frequently about one's cleaning
habits.

--
Michael Press