Steel 700C 1-1/8" Touring Fork

David Ornee

Guest
I am interested in a Steel 700C 1-1/8" Touring Fork for a Litespeed Blue Ridge touring bicycle. Head
tube length is 18.3 cm. I want something that has low rider rack ability and cantilever brake studs.
Who makes quality forks for this application? Direct responses to dave at ornee dot net welcome.
David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

Independent Fabrication makes forks and does lots of custom jobs on their bikes. They'd probably do
an 1-1/8". Might also call Co-Motion, they do lots of touring bikes and also lots of custom.

Would also be a good project for a local framebuilder.

For those out there interested in a more affordable solution, look for a decent old hybrid bike. My
old hybrid's fork has an 1-1/8" steerer, mid-fork braze-ons, and cantilever mounts. It's overbuilt.
Hard to say how its rake/trail would preform on a road bike though.

Bruce

"David Ornee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am interested in a Steel 700C 1-1/8" Touring Fork for a Litespeed Blue Ridge touring bicycle.
> Head tube length is 18.3 cm. I want something that has low rider rack ability and cantilever brake
studs.
> Who makes quality forks for this application? Direct responses to dave at ornee dot net welcome.
> David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

That's exactly what I did with my bike (silver-brazed Reynolds 531 frame with canti bosses brazed
on) I set up for cyclocross. I acquired a Peugeot cromoly hybrid fork and painted both frame and
fork the same color. looks and works great! "Bruce Lange" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Independent Fabrication makes forks and does lots of custom jobs on their bikes. They'd probably
> do an 1-1/8". Might also call Co-Motion, they do
lots
> of touring bikes and also lots of custom.
>
> Would also be a good project for a local framebuilder.
>
> For those out there interested in a more affordable solution, look for a decent old hybrid bike.
> My old hybrid's fork has an 1-1/8" steerer,
mid-fork
> braze-ons, and cantilever mounts. It's overbuilt. Hard to say how its rake/trail would preform on
> a road bike though.
>
> Bruce
>
> "David Ornee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I am interested in a Steel 700C 1-1/8" Touring Fork for a Litespeed
Blue
> > Ridge touring bicycle. Head tube length is 18.3 cm. I want something that has low rider rack
> > ability and cantilever brake
> studs.
> > Who makes quality forks for this application? Direct responses to dave at ornee dot net welcome.
> > David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

"Bruce Lange" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<MbqCa.823865$Zo.169012@sccrnsc03>...
> Independent Fabrication makes forks and does lots of custom jobs on their bikes. They'd probably
> do an 1-1/8". Might also call Co-Motion, they do lots of touring bikes and also lots of custom.

Here is an Independent Fabrication 1-1/8" cyclocross fork available right now on EBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3610879574&category=22681

Plse note I have no relationship with this auction; I just happened to notice it and remembered the
op's question...

On Sun, 01 Jun 2003 21:58:39 GMT, <[email protected]> wrote:

>That's exactly what I did with my bike (silver-brazed Reynolds 531 frame with canti bosses brazed
>on) I set up for cyclocross. I acquired a Peugeot cromoly hybrid fork and painted both frame and
>fork the same color. looks and works great!

What kind of paint did you use, and how did you prepare the frame & fork?

Jasper

dornee-<< I am interested in a Steel 700C 1-1/8" Touring Fork for a Litespeed Blue Ridge touring
bicycle. Head tube length is 18.3 cm. I want something that has low rider rack ability and
cantilever brake studs. Who makes quality forks for this application?

Mark Nobilette

http://www.nobilettecycles.com

"David Ornee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am interested in a Steel 700C 1-1/8" Touring Fork for a Litespeed Blue Ridge touring bicycle.
> Head tube length is 18.3 cm. I want something that has low rider rack ability and cantilever brake
studs.
> Who makes quality forks for this application? Direct responses to dave at ornee dot net welcome.
> David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

I have one made by Brent Steelman with the threaded bosses for the low rider panniers for my
Litespeed Blue Ridge. www.steelmancycles.com. Nice fork.

Ken

Surly makes one, very reasonably, that will do exactly what you're looking for. I think it runs
about $40. Of course there are a whole host of custom options out there, and I think nashbar used
to carry a basic MTB fork in 1-1/8 that had eyelets for about the same price (really over-build
looking thing).

-pete