Steel bending what can I do

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by IanM., May 17, 2005.

1. IanM.

IanM. New Member

I have been riding for about 2 years, I ride in Patapsco Maryland state park on a steel Bianchi SASS 21 inch. I ride aggresive XC mostly but I love drops and I ride my frame pretty hard, I weigh 190 pounds and am 6'2. That being said my question is this. I seem to always be bending my frame, I mean really bending it, so much my brakes will have to be adjusted after every ride and my first SASS had to be returned because i cracked a weld. I need to know a solution to this; do I need to go Ti or what?

Tags:

2. cydewaze

cydewaze New Member

I love Patapsco, but I haven't ridden there in several years. That's actually where I broke my AlpineStars (twice). Cool place to ride, but it always seemed to be a mudd bog.

As for your problem, I know Ti is way strong, but I guess it also depends on the construction. I'd wait for opinions other than mine. Good luck.

3. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Ti has neither the ultimate or tensil strength of steel. Ti breaks too.Ti welds break. Anything can break.

4. IanM.

IanM. New Member

I understand Titanium breaks but my question is what can I do if I am having consistant problems with the structural integrity of my steel frame?

5. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

The problen isn't with the frame material as such, the problem is that you're pushing the frame harder than it can take. Switch to a stronger frame of whatever material you fancy. If you're gonna do lots of drops go for a DH frame, they're built to take them.
    You might want to look for a steel frame, since they're easier to repair if you manage to break it.