Steel Cut Oats

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Sheldon, Mar 1, 2006.

  1. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Yesterday my 50 pound sack of steel cut oats arrived from
    Honeyvillegrain.com
    These oats smell wonderful... McCanns are dry, hard, dusty, and totally
    devoid of any odor whatsoever. Last night I set up a full crockful in
    my slow cooker (3 cups oats + 14 cups water), this morning I woke up to
    the creamiest dreamiest oatmeal I ever tasted. Good bye big rip-off
    MaCanns... helloooo, wonderful 85¢/lb Honeyville!

    Sheldon

    Tags:

  2. On 1 Mar 2006 14:12:52 -0800, "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Yesterday my 50 pound sack of steel cut oats arrived from
    >Honeyvillegrain.com
    >These oats smell wonderful... McCanns are dry, hard, dusty, and totally
    >devoid of any odor whatsoever. Last night I set up a full crockful in
    >my slow cooker (3 cups oats + 14 cups water), this morning I woke up to
    >the creamiest dreamiest oatmeal I ever tasted. Good bye big rip-off
    >MaCanns... helloooo, wonderful 85¢/lb Honeyville!
    >
    >Sheldon

    I just took a look at their product list. They have bagel flour
    listed there, which is something with which I am not familiar. Do you
    know anything about that? Is it a higher gluten content?

    Christine

  3. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote

    >Yesterday my 50 pound sack of steel cut oats arrived from
    >Honeyvillegrain.com
    >These oats smell wonderful...

    Sounds great. How will you store it, have a mouseproof
    bucket?

    nancy

  4. Nancy Young wrote on 01 Mar 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    > Sounds great. How will you store it, have a mouseproof
    > bucket?
    >
    > nancy

    How is Ben?

    --
    -Alan

  5. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Mr Libido Incognito" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Nancy Young wrote on 01 Mar 2006 in rec.food.cooking
    >
    >> Sounds great. How will you store it, have a mouseproof
    >> bucket?

    > How is Ben?

    Probably chewing on someone else's celestial abode.

    nancy

  6. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:
    > "Sheldon" wrote
    >
    > >Yesterday my 50 pound sack of steel cut oats arrived from
    > >Honeyvillegrain.com
    > >These oats smell wonderful...

    > Sounds great. How will you store it, have a mouseproof
    > bucket?

    Now that is funny. Anywhere within these walls is mouseproof. I have
    six cats. <g>

    You see that face... that's all the mouseproof anyone needs. Once
    Mooch's fire control locks on any mouse is a goner within
    milliseconds... the US military has been after me for years, they don't
    have anything comes close. She's been known to time things just right
    so she can get two mice at once, Mooch likes to conserve energy... she
    doesn't move much but when it's her time to strike she can move quicker
    than human eyes can follow. The Special Forces thinks she has Flash
    Gorden ray gun eyes, she doesn't even need to move, one look from Mooch
    mice simply have a massive coronary.
    http://i2.tinypic.com/ou0glv.jpg

  7. Sheldon wrote:
    > Mooch's fire control locks on any mouse is a goner within
    > milliseconds... the US military has been after me for years, they don't
    > have anything comes close. She's been known to time things just right
    > so she can get two mice at once, Mooch likes to conserve energy... she
    > doesn't move much but when it's her time to strike she can move quicker
    > than human eyes can follow. The Special Forces thinks she has Flash
    > Gorden ray gun eyes, she doesn't even need to move, one look from Mooch
    > mice simply have a massive coronary.
    > http://i2.tinypic.com/ou0glv.jpg

    Show no mercy. Was she a feral then?

  8. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Nancy Young wrote:

    >> Sounds great. How will you store it, have a mouseproof
    >> bucket?

    > Now that is funny. Anywhere within these walls is mouseproof. I have
    > six cats. <g>
    >
    > You see that face... that's all the mouseproof anyone needs. Once
    > Mooch's fire control locks on any mouse is a goner within
    > milliseconds... the US military has been after me for years, they don't
    > have anything comes close. She's been known to time things just right
    > so she can get two mice at once, Mooch likes to conserve energy... she
    > doesn't move much but when it's her time to strike she can move quicker
    > than human eyes can follow. The Special Forces thinks she has Flash
    > Gorden ray gun eyes, she doesn't even need to move, one look from Mooch
    > mice simply have a massive coronary.
    > http://i2.tinypic.com/ou0glv.jpg

    Now, Mooch does, indeed, have the look. I'll grant you that. (laugh)

    nancy

  9. BOB

    BOB Guest

    Sheldon wrote:
    :: http://i2.tinypic.com/ou0glv.jpg

    That looks just like my next door neighbor's cat, also named Mooch!

    BOB

    --
    Raw Meat Should NOT Have An Ingredients List

  10. biig

    biig Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:

    > "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    > >Yesterday my 50 pound sack of steel cut oats arrived from
    > >Honeyvillegrain.com
    > >These oats smell wonderful...

    > Sounds great. How will you store it, have a mouseproof
    > bucket?
    >
    > nancy

    I store grains and things like that in my freezer....Sharon

  11. Sheldon wrote:
    > Yesterday my 50 pound sack of steel cut oats arrived from
    > Honeyvillegrain.com
    > These oats smell wonderful... McCanns are dry, hard, dusty, and totally
    > devoid of any odor whatsoever. Last night I set up a full crockful in
    > my slow cooker (3 cups oats + 14 cups water), this morning I woke up to
    > the creamiest dreamiest oatmeal I ever tasted. Good bye big rip-off
    > MaCanns... helloooo, wonderful 85¢/lb Honeyville!
    >
    > Sheldon

    amazing between the gorilla glue and this place, you're a fountain of
    info. i saw some things sold there in grains that i have not been able
    to find anywhere in consumer quantities. i don't think i have seen oat
    fiber sold before, come to think of it. never even looked for it
    although wondered why the others grains could be found as fibers.

  12. In article <[email protected]>, biig <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Nancy Young wrote:
    > >
    > > "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote
    > >
    > > >Yesterday my 50 pound sack of steel cut oats arrived from
    > > >Honeyvillegrain.com
    > > >These oats smell wonderful...

    > > Sounds great. How will you store it, have a mouseproof
    > > bucket?
    > >
    > > nancy

    > I store grains and things like that in my freezer....Sharon

    You have the freezer space. ;-)
    Not everybody does.

    I store a lot of dry goods in the bottom of the refrigerator,
    but only because I have a 40 cuf Hobart.......
    --
    Peace, Om.

  13. Boron Elgar

    Boron Elgar Guest

    On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 11:04:48 -0500, biig <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Nancy Young wrote:
    >>
    >> "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote
    >>
    >> >Yesterday my 50 pound sack of steel cut oats arrived from
    >> >Honeyvillegrain.com
    >> >These oats smell wonderful...

    >> Sounds great. How will you store it, have a mouseproof
    >> bucket?
    >>
    >> nancy

    > I store grains and things like that in my freezer....Sharon

    I have a lot of grains in my freezer, but not 50lbs at a time in
    there.

    I order my SC oats from Honeyville, too, but pay more and have it
    shipped in large metal cans..they look like oversized tomato cans on
    steroids. It is sealed and kept fresh until I need them. We store them
    in the garage in the cartons they are shipped in and bring them up one
    can at a time.

    It costs more, but I am not about to schlep 50 lbs of anything
    around the house.

    Boron

  14. "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >These oats smell wonderful... McCanns are dry, hard, dusty, and totally
    >devoid of any odor whatsoever. Last night I set up a full crockful in
    >my slow cooker (3 cups oats + 14 cups water), this morning I woke up to
    >the creamiest dreamiest oatmeal I ever tasted. Good bye big rip-off
    >MaCanns... helloooo, wonderful 85¢/lb Honeyville!

    Used to live about 20 miles from McCanns. The product available there
    was *much* better than what they ship to the US.

    --
    Help make Usenet a better place: English is read
    downwards,please don't top post. Trim replies to

  15. biig

    biig Guest

    > > I store grains and things like that in my freezer....Sharon

    > You have the freezer space. ;-)
    > Not everybody does.
    >
    > I store a lot of dry goods in the bottom of the refrigerator,
    > but only because I have a 40 cuf Hobart.......
    > --
    > Peace, Om.
    >
    > "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack Nicholson

    I do have a large freezer luckily. But it's full because I have all
    that stuff in it. I usually stock up on freezable stuff when it's on
    sale and I'm constantly juggling things around to make them
    fit...lol... At least this way, I know whats in it. :) ....Sharon

  16. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    [email protected]_where.invalid wrote:
    > "Sheldon" wrote:
    >
    > >These oats smell wonderful... McCanns are dry, hard, dusty, and totally
    > >devoid of any odor whatsoever. Last night I set up a full crockful in
    > >my slow cooker (3 cups oats + 14 cups water), this morning I woke up to
    > >the creamiest dreamiest oatmeal I ever tasted. Good bye big rip-off
    > >MaCanns... helloooo, wonderful 85¢/lb Honeyville!
    > >

    > Used to live about 20 miles from McCanns. The product available there
    > was *much* better than what they ship to the US.

    Which of course what you say makes McCann's *mick* douchebags.