Steel Frame Advice - Gunnar Hot Dog vs. Cervelo Prodigy

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by kbone, Oct 11, 2005.

1. kbone

kbone New Member

I am on the hunt for a new steel frame and I happened across a LBS with a NOS Cervelo Prodigy as well as a Gunnar Hot Dog (original version of the Roadie). I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with or advice regarding these two frames?

Also, when buying a frameset from a LBS is it unheard of to ask them to build it up so you can see how it rides and how well it fits?

Tags:

2. PeterF

PeterF New Member

I can't shed any light on the two frames mentioned, however having built a few bikes from the frame up, I would say it would be a tough request. You need to install a BB, press a headset in, cut a fork to the right length, not to mention adding all the other components and cutting the cables to match. It's a lot of work for a potential sale. If you decide not to but it, they now are trying to sell a used frame...

3. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

I think people buying a frame ought to know what they want and the size. Consider how much they are out if you buy neither.

4. kbone

kbone New Member

Thanks for the response. I figured it would be a tall request to ask them to build it up. It is just hard to buy a $500 frame without having a chance to ride it. And, since these are NOS there is now way to test another one before I buy.

5. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

People buy $3000 frames without riding.I never test rode any or the 12 or 15 I have and all bought as frames.

6. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

I have a SuperProdigy, which is fantastic, and I know of about 5 guys with Prodigies who are very satisfied

7. John M

John M New Member

If you go with the Cervelo, make sure that it is not one affected by the fork recall. According to this link, it is was only the Soloist Super Prodigy with the 1" Wolf carbon fork, but sometimes bikes/framesets have substitutions or upgrades that are different from original catalog spec.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml03/03169.html