Steel frame and carbon fork?

breesej

Aug 7, 2004
I tried searching and didn't get much so here's some background info...

I crashed my steel bike the other week and had the frame and forks checked out. The front wheel needs to be re-dished and the drops are all bent out of shape. The guys at the LBS say to replace the fork since it's the easiest thing to do and ensure proper tracking. I'm 100% in agreement here. They quoted me roughly $300 USD for a steel Mondonico fork from Torelli. My bike is a Mondonico manufactured Masi. I'm pretty down right snobby about what parts go on the bike, so a Reynolds steel fork just isn't going to be satisfactory, but carbon.... maybe.

So it seems that for the price of a steel fork from Torelli, I can get a bad ass carbon fork. What is everybody's opinion of carbon forks on traditional geometry steel frames?

I ride a 54 cm frame, so is there a rake range I should look for or a tolerance I should stay within compared to my forks rake?

Thanks for reading and any help you can provide.

You should be able to look at the geometry spec of the bike and get something similar if not the same, I think 43-45 mm rake is pretty normal, I'm lacking on recommendations though.

breesej said:
What is everybody's opinion of carbon forks on traditional geometry steel frames?

I ride a 54 cm frame, so is there a rake range I should look for or a tolerance I should stay with?
So what's the issue? It's done every day.If Torelli can't tell you the fork rake and crown to dropout distance any competent LBS ought to be able to measurre it.

boudreaux said:
So what's the issue? It's done every day.If Torelli can't tell you the fork rake and crown to dropout distance any competent LBS ought to be able to measurre it.
The issue is the fork is a different material with different properties. Putting a carbon fork on will alter the ride. So, I wanted to know if I should be looking at specific rake tolerances. If my rake is 43 and I NEED to stay within 1 degree, I won't bother test fitting a 40 or 45 since it would be outside of the tolerance.

I know that an "upgrade" like this is done everyday, but if I'm going to pony up $300 for a fork, $100 for stem and $100 for a headset (going from threaded to threadless) I want to do it with some confidence, not because it's done everyday.

breesej said:
smooovvvve????

damn that's almost all I needed to hear.
Don't go the the bank with that BS. There is a wide variation in CF forks.Some are even a downgrade compared to a good steel fork.

breesej said:
The issue is the fork is a different material with different properties. Putting a carbon fork on will alter the ride. So, I wanted to know if I should be looking at specific rake tolerances. If my rake is 43 and I NEED to stay within 1 degree, I won't bother test fitting a 40 or 45 since it would be outside of the tolerance.

I know that an "upgrade" like this is done everyday, but if I'm going to pony up $300 for a fork, $100 for stem and $100 for a headset (going from threaded to threadless) I want to do it with some confidence, not because it's done everyday.
If your rake is 43,you could go with a 40 or 45 and even tho you might notice a difference in head to head to comparison,it dosn't make a significant difference. The real ARs would likely disagree.You don't test ride forks anyway. Buy it, install, it and it's yours.

boudreaux said:
Don't go the the bank with that BS. There is a wide variation in CF forks.Some are even a downgrade compared to a good steel fork.

I've gotta agree. My first carbon fork was a Profile-Design BSC, and it is the stiffest fork I've ever used by so far it is rediculous. It was stiffer than all my steel forks, and even stiffer that all my alu forks!!

So, carbon forks ain't all the same, so I'd recommend researching before spending ALL THAT MONEY.

A bloody Columbus Muscle has a list price in Australia for about $550 US !!!!

nutbag said:
A bloody Columbus Muscle has a list price in Australia for about $550 US !!!!
I just bought one brand new and uncut for $180 US, shipped and insured.

boudreaux said:
I just bought one brand new and uncut for $180 US, shipped and insured.

Where? Are you in the industry?

The cheapest Muscle I've seen in Australia was $360 US