Steel frame help

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by stevie135, Jul 26, 2013.

1. stevie135

stevie135 New Member

Dear All

I currently have a Boardman Hybrid Comp and I'm looking to add another bike to my collection.

As the Boardman is all alloy it is quick and responsive but not very refined. I'd like something that is just as quick, if not quicker but with a smoother ride - something that I would not be ashamed to be seem on in the odd sportive or other cycling event.

I've been looking at steel frames in my 1000 budget and have seen the Dawes Century SE for 999. This is a steel bike with Shimano Sora gearing. Does anyone have an opinion on this as I've read mixed reviews?

Are there any other bikes out there with steel frames (or alloy that is set up as comfy as steel) that anyone could recommend?

Many thanks for any help

Steve

Tags:

2. daveryanwyoming

daveryanwyoming Well-Known Member

Be careful with the 'steel is smooth' mythology. A bike's riding characteristics are much more closely related to design and geometry than material.

That said, I've heard nothing but good things about the bikes from Dawes and I suspect their Century SE is a very nice bike. If you're focused on steel you might also look at Serotta or just about anything from a good local builder as most still work in steel. But there are many other great bikes made from steel or other materials that deliver a smooth and predictable ride. Best bet of course is always to test ride to see how it feels to you.

-Dave

3. vspa

vspa Active Member

i think its great, according to their website it is equipped with Shimano Tiagra which makes it even better, just make the shift into clipless pedals and you are done,