Steel Frame injured, in need of repair.

WIGGUM1

Jun 7, 2007
Hi everyone,
So I have a steel road frame made from the now defunct Croll custom cycles. Well, the tragic happened and the bike was on the roof of the car going into a carport. The down tube now has a crink where it meets the head tube. How feasible is it to have frame repaired. It is a butted tube, does this make a difference. The frame is an absolute dream and when the tragedy happened I was in tears to say the least. Let me know what you all think.....Thanks.

WIGGUM1 said:
Hi everyone,
So I have a steel road frame made from the now defunct Croll custom cycles. Well, the tragic happened and the bike was on the roof of the car going into a carport. The down tube now has a crink where it meets the head tube. How feasible is it to have frame repaired. It is a butted tube, does this make a difference. The frame is an absolute dream and when the tragedy happened I was in tears to say the least. Let me know what you all think.....Thanks.

A good framebuilder can probably remove and replace the tube. It will not be cheap though and you would need a repaint. It may be worth it though, as it would still be less than a new handmade custom frame.

I had a downtube replaced on a favorite bike before so I know it can be done if you find the right frame builder. Many builders won't want to do it because it's such a major job they will simply try to sell you a new frame.

WIGGUM1 said:
Hi everyone,

Can be replaced easily as brazed lugged frames are easy to repair. Competent builder should and will proly align the frame for you during the work process.

John M said:
A good framebuilder can probably remove and replace the tube. It will not be cheap though and you would need a repaint. It may be worth it though, as it would still be less than a new handmade custom frame.
If you like the frame very much it may be worth!
The problem is finding a good framebuilder...

Through exhaustive emailing I have found a local frame welder named Mark Nobilette of Boulder, Colorado (http://nobilettecycles.com/). He is well known in the cycling community and told me he could replace the front triangle for $300-370. This includes paint stripping, materials and labor. Though I paid only slightly more for the entire frame, it is a custom one by Croll, a now defunct custom builder I believe out of the St. Paul area. I think this is a fair price. As a poor recent college grad, I asked him if I could possibly help out in his shop to pay for some of the work. Thank you all for your help in the matter and I will keep you all posted as to the results. Happy riding.

WIGGUM1 said:
Through exhaustive emailing I have found a local frame welder named Mark Nobilette of Boulder, Colorado (http://nobilettecycles.com/). He is well known in the cycling community and told me he could replace the front triangle for $300-370. This includes paint stripping, materials and labor. Though I paid only slightly more for the entire frame, it is a custom one by Croll, a now defunct custom builder I believe out of the St. Paul area. I think this is a fair price. As a poor recent college grad, I asked him if I could possibly help out in his shop to pay for some of the work. Thank you all for your help in the matter and I will keep you all posted as to the results. Happy riding.

I have seen Nobilette frames, and they look quite well made. He is well regarded and I am sure he will do a nice joy. That seems a fair price since it includes painting. A pro paint job runs 200+ alone.

As you know, a new custom steel frame would cost somewhere around $1000-1500+.