Steel Frame needs repair

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by mogulhead, Jan 31, 2006.

  1. mogulhead

    mogulhead New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2003
    Does anyone know a good bike workshop located in Melbourne who can repair steel frames. Looking for one that can do the lot ie welding and painting. Though I'm no expert I think the frame has no lugs. The tubing is Columbus Zona and the welding would be near the carbon fibre seat stays.

    Also does anyone know if steel can be repaired using some sort of adhesive. I know they can glue racing car chassis together and I wondered if this was being done with bike frames.

    Cheers

    Tags:

  2. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    You could try Baum:
    http://www.jbcycles.com.au/ or Bike Bar if they're still around:
    http://www.bikebar.com.au/

  3. Rayc

    Rayc Guest

    mogulhead wrote:
    > Does anyone know a good bike workshop located in Melbourne who can
    > repair steel frames. Looking for one that can do the lot ie welding and
    > painting. Though I'm no expert I think the frame has no lugs. The tubing
    > is Columbus Zona and the welding would be near the carbon fibre seat
    > stays.

    There are plenty of people who can repair steel frames, just how much
    are you prepared to spend?
    The cost isn't in the materials, but the skill of the torch bearer.
    Whom ever you choose, be careful that they have lots of experience in
    the thinner steels, and mixing that with the carbon stays.
    I'd suggest that the rear end of the bike would need to be removed
    before fixing the steel part of the frame.

    In no particular order, builders/repairers (melb based) include paconi,
    hillman, baum - may entertain your enquiry, wiggo and a whole host of
    others but most not set up commercially.

    > Also does anyone know if steel can be repaired using some sort of
    > adhesive. I know they can glue racing car chassis together and I
    > wondered if this was being done with bike frames.

    you'll probably want to avoid this unless you're prepared to for quite
    a bit of metalwork in your garage.

    ray

  4. Gags

    Gags Guest

    "Rayc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > mogulhead wrote:
    > > Does anyone know a good bike workshop located in Melbourne who can
    > > repair steel frames. Looking for one that can do the lot ie welding and
    > > painting. Though I'm no expert I think the frame has no lugs. The tubing
    > > is Columbus Zona and the welding would be near the carbon fibre seat
    > > stays.
    > >

    > There are plenty of people who can repair steel frames, just how much
    > are you prepared to spend?
    > The cost isn't in the materials, but the skill of the torch bearer.
    > Whom ever you choose, be careful that they have lots of experience in
    > the thinner steels, and mixing that with the carbon stays.
    > I'd suggest that the rear end of the bike would need to be removed
    > before fixing the steel part of the frame.
    >
    > In no particular order, builders/repairers (melb based) include paconi,
    > hillman, baum - may entertain your enquiry, wiggo and a whole host of
    > others but most not set up commercially.

    You might also want to try
    http://www.gripsport.com.au/main.php?part=frame_repairs as they are located
    in Research and from what I have heard are reasonably priced.

    Gags

  5. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Rayc wrote:
    > mogulhead wrote:
    > > Does anyone know a good bike workshop located in Melbourne who can
    > > repair steel frames. Looking for one that can do the lot ie welding and
    > > painting. Though I'm no expert I think the frame has no lugs. The tubing
    > > is Columbus Zona and the welding would be near the carbon fibre seat
    > > stays.
    > >

    > There are plenty of people who can repair steel frames, just how much
    > are you prepared to spend?
    > The cost isn't in the materials, but the skill of the torch bearer.

    Torch? What is this "torch" of which you speak? You'd want TiG for
    fine steel welds.

    We do it, cycle science in Mitcham. Pete's a gun welder.

  6. 531Aussie

    531Aussie Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2004
    Messages:
    12,606
    yeah, there's heaps of guys that could do it.

    I've had Kevin Wigham (Paconi) at Braeside do a few repairs for me for next to nothing. Two separate, small weld jobs (rear drop-out and a seat-stay join) that didn't require paint, cost me about $25 bucks each

  7. sinus

    sinus New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2004
    Personally, I would say don't do it. It'll never be the same again. Columbus Zona is no good. And I am happy to help you to get rid of the frame - I'll even pick it up for you...... ;)

    Abbotsford cycles did a repair on a dropout of a 531 frame for me for a good price.

  8. mogulhead

    mogulhead New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2003
    Thanks for the replys. Theres a good selection there to choose from.

    Cheers