Steel frame spacing for new wheels

Steve_A

Sep 7, 2010
This is a question for alfeng and any other knowledgeable folks, and also a thinly-disguised way of announcing my new frame purchase. I've just won an eBay auction for a Rivendell Bleriot frame. I've wanted a Rivendell (specifically a Sam Hillborne) for some time now. The Bleriot is the predecessor to the Sam. With Sam prices (in my frame size) going to $1400, it would have been a bit of a stretch to buy one. I'm very excited to see and start building this frame, although I may wait a bit as I have a bike to ride for now. Anyway, this is a frame for 650b wheels, which I wanted. I will need to buy wheels and have some choices. The frame is spaced at 135mm. I can get wheels from Rivendell in 135mm spacing; or from Velo Orange in 130mm (105 hubs, which I would like as I have a 105 group). I will be comparing all wheelsets to see which would be better overall, but I'm wondering if I use a 130 wheel, will I need to re-set the spacing in for the 5mm; are there wheel spacers that I can use; or will the skewers just take care of that. Just want to know what's best. Thanks for listening.

Quote: Originally Posted by Steve_A .

I've just won an eBay auction for a Rivendell Bleriot frame ... this is a frame for 650b wheels, which I wanted. I will need to buy wheels and have some choices. The frame is spaced at 135mm. I can get wheels from Rivendell in 135mm spacing; or from Velo Orange in 130mm (105 hubs, which I would like as I have a 105 group). I will be comparing all wheelsets to see which would be better overall, but I'm wondering if I use a 130 wheel, will I need to re-set the spacing in for the 5mm; are there wheel spacers that I can use; or will the skewers just take care of that. Just want to know what's best.

If you are not planning to respace the frame, then (FWIW) I think that it is may be easier & better to respace the 130 O.L.D. Road hub (e.g., Shimano 105) hub to 135mm ...
Just buy any Shimano MTB hub & cannibalize the axle & 4mm spacer from it ... retrofit the longer axle + spacer into the hub ... re-dish as necessary.
OR, another option is to put the new axle in place & stack a 2mm washer on both the driveside & NON-driveside of the hub.
FYI. I found out that it's less expensive to buy an inexpensive Shimano hub & cannibalize it for the parts rather than buying the axle/whatever separately. Costs may be different where you live.

BTW. Are you sure the frame is designed for 650b (ERTO? 584) wheels? The odds are that the intended wheelsize is 650c (ERTO? 571).

Regardless, if I had a frame which used 650c wheels (or, 650b), I have to say that I am such an infidel that I would probably see if I couldn't simply use 26" MTB rims (i.e., 559x17 rims instead of 571xNN) & tires in the frame with whatever reach caliper is considered to be "normal" for the frame ...
  • I guess THAT depends on how intelligently Rivendell had the framebuilder dimension the brake bridge whereby an allowance for the 6mm difference in the rim diameter was provided, OR NOTt!?!

Of course, if Rivendell did not spec accordingly, then 'I' would use a longer reach caliper and hope that its upper adjustment would allow me to use 650c wheels IF-or-WHEN the desire-or-need might arise..

Thanks for your responses, alfeng. The frame is designed for 650b wheels, there is no question about that. The seller, who I believe knows what he's talking about, says it can also be built with 26/559 wheels, if centerpull brakes are used. (The frame will take centerpulls or calipers.) I don't prefer to do it this way. With 650b wheels, it needs extra long reach (65mm) calipers, which are available as Tektro R556 or R559 brakes. That is what I will use. Rivendell was (is) spearheading the return of 650b wheels with this model, which was first offered, I think, in 2006. You can substitute another, less kind, word for spearheading if that suits you. 650b seems to be gaining some traction ; ), since Velo Orange now offers frames and wheels in that format also. It appeals to me as I'm thinking it will lower my standover height and mounting height a bit. Maybe. Anyway, I like the Velo Orange wheels, but they are 130mm. If it makes more sense, I'll order one of the two 650b sets that Rivendell offers. I sort of owe it to them, since I bought a used frame and not one of their new ones. Again, thanks for the valuable information.

I'd keep it simple, I wouldn't sweat matching my hubs to my groupset, just get some good 135mm hubs and go with it. I putting new wheels on my roadbike which has mostly ultegra everything but I'm using 105 hubs because flat out the cost savings and the fact that everyone says it's about building the wheel properly , not what hubs you use. Since I'm a clyde, these wheels will probably be coming with me if I ever sell the bike i'll let the new owner equip it with wheels of their choice.