Steel frame Specialzed Allez Pro vs new bike

nightowl

New Member
May 13, 2004
13-05.-2004 11:53 PM

I have an older model steel/alloy frame (aluminum fork) Specialized Allez Pro. I love this bike to ride. I've always believed "it's the carpenter, not the tools"....having said that....I'm doing ironman Wisconsin in Sept., and love triathlon. I'm wondering whether for long distance riding the steel frame is a waste of energy? It's heavy and my legs are fatigued for the run when doing triathlon. Will a lighter aluminun or carbon frame bike help me on hills?
I'm female, 42, 5'8" 130lbs. ( 56cm frame) I've been working on increasing core strength and flexibility. My 40K triathlon times on a relatively flat course average 1hr15 to 1hr20, 10K run time 45-49 mins. Would a newer bike help me or am I wasting my money?
If I buy something newer....
Dura-ace vs Shimano Ultegra? My budget is limited.
Should I invest in getting a higher quality wheel set?
Bladed spokes?
Road bike vs tri bike?
Although I do triathlon I like the long distances and spend many hours riding. I love my current bike so I figure "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I've been getting feedback from people that I might want to consider investing in a new one.
I'm leaning toward buying a TREK 5200 or GIANT TCR.
If I buy a new bike it will be a big investment for me. My budget is about $3000 Canadian. (I think that's about $2200US)
Is my Specialized Allez Pro worth anything? I would never sell it, I love it too much. Has anyone else ridden the older model one, and what do you think? Is it a good bike? Will a new bike have the same feel and ride?
A very famous man said a very famous quote “It’s not about the bike.”
Is that true, and to what point??
I want to be "worthy of my bike"
Thanks for your help :)

Here is my 2 cents worth.

First thing, in my opinion, if you are 5' 8" and riding a 56
frame, I think the bike is two big for you. Improper fit
could be part of the reason you feel fatigued after the bike
portion of a tri.

I would suggest that you go to a good bike shop, and have a
tech measured you up, and recommend a size. Maybe even put
you on a trainer.

$3000.00 will get you a pretty nice bike. I think Giant has
a carbon frame decked out with Ultegra for about that price.
I am pretty sure that as an amateur, that's all the bike
you'll ever need.

Jim

"nightowl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> 13-05.-2004 11:53 PM
>

> I have an older model steel/alloy frame (aluminum fork)
> Specialized Allez Pro. I love this bike to ride. I've
> always believed "it's the carpenter, not the
> tools"....having said that....I'm doing ironman Wisconsin
> in Sept., and love triathlon. I'm wondering whether for
> long distance riding the steel frame is a waste of energy?
> It's heavy and my legs are fatigued for the run when doing
> triathlon. Will a lighter aluminun or carbon frame bike
> help me on hills? I'm female, 42, 5'8" 130lbs. ( 56cm
> frame) I've been working on increasing core strength and
> flexibility. My 40K triathlon times on a relatively flat
> course average 1hr15 to 1hr20, 10K run time 45-49 mins.
> Would a newer bike help me or am I wasting my money? If I
> buy something newer.... Dura-ace vs Shimano Ultegra? My
> budget is limited. Should I invest in getting a higher
> quality wheel set? Bladed spokes? Road bike vs tri bike?
> Although I do triathlon I like the long distances and
> spend many hours riding. I love my current bike so I
> figure "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I've been
> getting feedback from people that I might want to consider
> investing in a new one. I'm leaning toward buying a TREK
> 5200 or GIANT TCR. If I buy a new bike it will be a big
> investment for me. My budget is about $3000 Canadian. (I
> think that's about $2200US) Is my Specialized Allez Pro
> worth anything? I would never sell it, I love it too much.
> Has anyone else ridden the older model one, and what do
> you think? Is it a good bike? Will a new bike have the
> same feel and ride? A very famous man said a very famous
> quote "It's not about the bike." Is that true, and to what
> point?? I want to be "worthy of my bike" Thanks for your
> help :)
>

> --

nightowl <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> 13-05.-2004 11:53 PM
>

> I have an older model steel/alloy frame (aluminum fork)
> Specialized Allez Pro. I love this bike to ride. I've
> always believed "it's the carpenter, not the tools"

<SNIP>

You could have stopped there... : )

There is no pecking order of materials that makes one
inherently better than another across all applications. That
is a blowhard way of saying, steel may be the "best"
material for you and your circumstances.

Other than watching out for signs of rust, you don't have to
baby steel. It is highly repairable also.

Like a car, an exotic bike is often more of a trophy than a
necessity. I do not deny that there is often a placebo
effect to having a fancy ride though. : )

If you do get the bike, don't be concerned with being
"...worthy of the bike." Focus on having a race that is
worthy of your preparation.

rsquared

Like Jim Gosse said, I would suggest (if you're serious
about looking at a new bike) you go to a good bike shop and
get fitted for a new bike. They'll also probably make a
couple recommendations on manufacturers that match your
build and size best. Then, test some and see what you think.
If the feel is that much better, than go for it. I would
suggest Ultegra over Dura-Ace, only because I don't think
that the step up in quality nearly merits the increase in
price. Good luck!

--
Frank W. Marrs III Georgia Institute of Technology
[email protected] <omit "spamguard" to email

Like Jim Gosse said, I would suggest (if you're serious
about looking at a new bike) you go to a good bike shop and
get fitted for a new bike. They'll also probably make a
couple recommendations on manufacturers that match your
build and size best. Then, test some and see what you think.
If the feel is that much better, than go for it. I would
suggest Ultegra over Dura-Ace, only because I don't think
that the step up in quality nearly merits the increase in
price. Good luck!

--
Frank W. Marrs III Georgia Institute of Technology
[email protected] <omit "spamguard" to email

My $0.02 -

I also agree that your frame is too big, but hard to argue with your years of supposed comfort in riding this bike. I am 5-10 and that is my frame size, although I think the Specialized is a sloping top tube, so meaurements may not be the same. Definitely try a good bike shop (most dedicated tri shops are better than bike shops) - for reference, my last bike fitting took over an hour. I would NOT suggest moving to a steep angle (78 degrees or so) full-on tri bike for your only bike - stick with traditional road geometry (like a 73 degree seat tube angle - just move your seat as far forward as you can in the rails for a tri when aero).

I am only going to comment on materials (your question) - YOU have to decide if you need a new bike! Based on what you said and "intuition", I would go for it.....

Most agree that steel rides the best. Hard to find a nice, new steel bike (2 come to mind: Guru "new steel" from Canada, and of course, Waterford - way out of your price range). You will probably not like an aluminum bike's ride, although it will likely be much lighter and very inexpensive. Not great for long rides of 100 plus miles routinely and not very durable. Carbon bikes ride nice and are light and relatively inexpensive, hence the new slew of them - not too sure about their durability since I have been through carbone forks and seat posts already.

The best material for you is probably titanium though. It rides similar to steel, is very light, and is the most durable of all the frame materials (since you seem to keep your bikes for a while). Also, since you live in Canada and likely ride in the wet/snow - it will never rust. OK so why not? Price is the main reason. I have a steel bike, aluminum for racing, and had a carbon bike (Griffin). My favorite (and current high mileage bike) is a Litespeed Vortex. I absolutely love it. I hate riding something so "ostentacious" and "common", but really is great. I even took all the decals off for a while, but evetually put them back on.

What I'm getting at is: see if you can ride a titanium bike (litespeed, seven, whatever) for a good, long test ride. Hit some rough pavement hard, then cruise easy. Climb on it - try to get the thing to flex under load. You will see what I mean. Should ride like your beloved steel, but "feel" faster and lighter ('cause it is). Figure out your size and maybe consider a used one. Since the frame never wears out, you can spec it (Ultegra is fine by the way) how you want. A used titanium bike would likely have Dura Ace or Record anyway. Should be in the $2500 used range too.

Wow, I had no intention of this novel .....

"rroof" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:IzOpc.30293$4%[email protected]...
> My $0.02 -
>
> I also agree that your frame is too big, but hard to argue
> with your years of supposed comfort in riding this bike. I
> am 5-10 and that is my frame size, although I think the
> Specialized is a sloping top tube, so meaurements may not
> be the same. Definitely try a good bike shop (most
> dedicated tri shops are better than bike shops) - for
> reference, my last bike fitting took over an hour. I would
> NOT suggest moving to a steep angle (78 degrees or so) full-
> on tri bike for your only bike - stick with traditional
> road geometry (like a 73 degree seat tube angle
> - just move your seat as far forward as you can in the
> rails for a tri when aero).
>
> I am only going to comment on materials (your question) -
> YOU have to decide if you need a new bike! Based on what
> you said and "intuition", I would go for it.....
>
> Most agree that steel rides the best. Hard to find a nice,
> new steel bike (2 come to mind: Guru "new steel" from
> Canada, and of course, Waterford - way out of your price
> range). You will probably not like an aluminum bike's
> ride, although it will likely be much lighter and very
> inexpensive. Not great for long rides of 100 plus miles
> routinely and not very durable. Carbon bikes ride nice and
> are light and relatively inexpensive, hence the new slew
> of them - not too sure about their durability since I have
> been through carbone forks and seat posts already.
>
> The best material for you is probably titanium though. It
> rides similar to steel, is very light, and is the most
> durable of all the frame materials (since you seem to keep
> your bikes for a while). Also, since you live in Canada
> and likely ride in the wet/snow - it will never rust. OK
> so why not? Price is the main reason. I have a steel bike,
> aluminum for racing, and had a carbon bike (Griffin). My
> favorite (and current high mileage bike) is a Litespeed
> Vortex. I absolutely love it. I hate riding something so
> "ostentacious" and "common", but really is great. I even
> took all the decals off for a while, but evetually put
> them back on.
>
> What I'm getting at is: see if you can ride a titanium
> bike (litespeed, seven, whatever) for a good, long test
> ride. Hit some rough pavement hard, then cruise easy.
> Climb on it - try to get the thing to flex under load. You
> will see what I mean. Should ride like your beloved steel,
> but "feel" faster and lighter ('cause it is). Figure out
> your size and maybe consider a used one. Since the frame
> never wears out, you can spec it (Ultegra is fine by the
> way) how you want. A used titanium bike would likely have
> Dura Ace or Record anyway. Should be in the $2500 used
> range too.
>
> Wow, I had no intention of this novel .....

Well, I'll write the sequel!

I second the rec for Litespeed ti......I've had my LS
tri bike for 10 years and am still loving it.......and I
recently got a LS Tuscany (got a great deal last fall on
a 2002 closeout from Colorado Cyclist) for more comfort
on long rides..........also I joined a club and was
tired of the looks my tri bike and my cheap old steel
bike were getting :). Why do you call your Vortex
ostentatious though?

Also, like the OP, my old road bike (a $350 1988 Centurion
steel bike which I adored and got many 1000's of miles of
riding and racing from....also a box full of age-group
awards) was *way* too big for me.....56 and I am really a
52-53 I found out later. I felt comfortable on the bike and
at first my new bike felt too small but now I feel
completely comfortable and am riding faster and more
efficiently, esp on hills. Comfort is a relative term......I
think you just compensate.....for example on the old too-big
bike I spent a lot of time sitting up on the handlebars
because the drops were just too far away!

HTH. Have fun.

Susan in LA

[...]

Susan in LA [/B][/QUOTE]

Well said Susan about the bike fit - that is probably exactly what she is experiencing. I often see ladies on bikes just a bit too large, although they seem to be riding fine, they could likely be even better, especially in the hills.

I only say "ostentatious" because a new Vortex in full Campy Record carbon (like mine) runs close to 7K. I am also only 34 and many of my "road" buddies also know I have another triathlon bike that is also quite pricey. I won't get into my cars - I happen to be a surgeon, so the bikes costs are negligible. Most of my cyclist/tri friends don't know my profession though as I just want to enjoy my time in the saddle with them. I also obviously look like a triathlete which tends to turn off the "roadies". First impressions are just hard to get over. I just don't think the Vortex helps much, that's all.

Speaking of your Tuscany, that is exactly the bike that I think she should look for - perfect, classic geometry and compliant 3/2.5 Titanium with a little higher head tube. The Vortex is all 6/4 with road race geometry. The wheelbase is so short, I often rub my shoe on the wheel with quick transitions and the head tube is about as short as possible. The Blade is way overrated and pricey. The Saber would also be good for her, but the seat angle is pretty aggressive - depends upon her fitting.

OK, here is what you need to read after all the above dribble:

And remember, this is just my (and Susan's) recs:

And remember, this is just my (and Susan's) recs: [/B][/QUOTE]

1- Get a good fit (esp road vs. tri geometry)

2 Go titanium! (probably need to go used for $ though)

3 Check out a Litespeed Tuscany (road) or Saber (tri)

See you on the road!

"rroof" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Well said Susan about the bike fit - that is probably
> exactly what she is experiencing. I often see ladies on
> bikes just a bit too large, although they seem to be
> riding fine, they could likely be even better, especially
> in the hills.
>
> I only say "ostentatious" because a new Vortex in full
> Campy Record carbon (like mine) runs close to 7K. I am
> also only 34 and many of my "road" buddies also know I
> have another triathlon bike that is also quite pricey. I
> won't get into my cars - I happen to be a surgeon, so the
> bikes costs are negligible. Most of my cyclist/tri friends
> don't know my profession though as I just want to enjoy my
> time in the saddle with them.

Well, at least you can afford your pricey rigs.....in
contrast to a young triathlete I knew 10 years ago who rode
a 5K bike but lived in his van. He was just waiting for the
right sponsor to come along. Actually I kind of admired his
prioritization skills.

> I also obviously look like a triathlete which tends to
> turn off the "roadies".

Somehow they always just *know* you're a triathlete, don't
they? They can smell it or something. :) I thought I would
fit in pretty well with my new Tuscany (no aerobar!) and my
club kit but they knew right away.....it was the single-
strap shoes and the Bento Box.

> First impressions are just hard to get over. I just don't
> think the Vortex helps much, that's all.
>
> Speaking of your Tuscany, that is exactly the bike that I
> think she should look for - perfect, classic geometry and
> compliant 3/2.5 Titanium with a little higher head tube.
> The Vortex is all 6/4 with road race geometry. The
> wheelbase is so short, I often rub my shoe on the wheel
> with quick transitions and the head tube is about as short
> as possible. The Blade is way overrated and pricey. The
> Saber would also be good for her, but the seat angle is
> pretty aggressive - depends upon her fitting.
>
> OK, here is what you need to read after all the above
> dribble:
>
> And remember, this is just my (and Susan's) recs:

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)....literally!

Somehow they always just *know* you're a triathlete, don't
they? They can smell it or something. :) I thought I would
fit in pretty well with my new Tuscany (no aerobar!) and my
club kit but they knew right away.....it was the single-
strap shoes and the Bento Box.

Now that is funny! :D They can probably smell the Bodyglide -

I do, of course, have a Bento Box, but I purposely left it off the Vortex. I did, however, forget about my single strap shoes! That must have been the tip-off! ;)

Too funny ...