Steel frame that is ready for disc brakes?

I wrote:

>>We've got exactly what you seek, possibly the most versatile frameset ever: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/surly-karate-
>>monkey.html

One of the Daves asked:

> Is it not difficult getting the rear wheel and disc brake aligned?

No, there's no alignment issue with the disk brake, as long as you put the wheel in straight.

I would not recommend the combination of disk brake/Rohloff Speedhub/horizontal fork ends though. It
was difficult to get the cable box of the Rohloff hub to fit, along with the disc brake and still
get good cable routing.

I had to do some butchering to the Rohloff box to get the cable routing as good as it is, and I'm
not really happy with it.

In general, I don't think disc brakes are a good choice for bikes with horizontal fork ends, because
the relationship of the disc to the caliper will vary as the chain wears.

When the Karate Monkey is set up with derailer gearing, the axle would go all the way forward in the
axle slots, and stay there, so there would be no problem using a rear disc brake in that case.

Sheldon "Tried It, Don't Recommend It" Brown +------------------------------------------------------------
+
| It is one thing to show a man that he is in an error, | and another to put him in possession of
| truth. | --John Locke |
+------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> I knew about the DualDrive, but even after reading their promo site, I don't particularly
> understand the motivation. Is there really that much clamor to combine the weight and inefficiency
> of a gear hub with the higher-maintenance and general fussiness of a derailleur? I see they tout
> it for a variety of applications, but I thought having multiple front rings (reducing chainline
> deviation when used well) was a good thing.

For urban bikes it really is nice. Most neophyte riders do not do well with front changers
generally. The shift is instant, even at stoplights and those bikes can have a chain disc, which
appeals to the targeted rider.

It just offers a wider range than a Super Seven for those so inclined. The new shifter is very
comfortable and easy to use, BTW.

Yes, I would want a road/CX frame. By saying a CX frame; sometimes they don't even have water bottle
bosses, let alone eyelets.

m28.aol.com...