Steel frame that is ready for disc brakes?

Jeff S.

Guest
I'm looking to find a steel frame that is built for use with disc brakes. I read about many frames
displayed at this past fall's bike shows, but they were aluminum. Salsa, Redline, etc.

Ideally this frame-to-be would have rack and fender eyelets. Sloping top tube and threadless headset
would also be nice. Will I need to go custom?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff S. wrote:

> I'm looking to find a steel frame that is built for use with disc brakes. I read about many frames
> displayed at this past fall's bike shows, but they were aluminum. Salsa, Redline, etc.
>
> Ideally this frame-to-be would have rack and fender eyelets. Sloping top tube and threadless
> headset would also be nice. Will I need to go custom?

We've got exactly what you seek, possibly the most versatile frameset ever: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/surly-karate-
monkey.html

Sheldon "Acier Est Vrai" Brown +-------------------------------------------------------------+
| "...It is somewhat of a rude awakening for many of these | parents to find that America is facing
| a most serious | situation regarding its popular music. Welfare workers | tell us that never in
| the history of our land have there | been such immoral conditions among our young people, and |
| in the surveys made by many organizations regarding these | conditions, the blame is laid on jazz
| music and its evil | influence on the young people of today... That it has a | demoralizing
| effect upon the human brain has been | demonstrated by many scientists." |
| - Ladies Home Journal, 1921 |
+-------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

>Sheldon "Acier Est Vrai" Brown

"Acier Est Vrai" let me guess,,, "Steel is Real"?

"May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Sheldon Brown wrote:

> Jeff S. wrote:
>
>> I'm looking to find a steel frame that is built for use with disc brakes. I read about many
>> frames displayed at this past fall's bike shows, but they were aluminum. Salsa, Redline, etc.
>>
>> Ideally this frame-to-be would have rack and fender eyelets. Sloping top tube and threadless
>> headset would also be nice. Will I need to go custom?
>

> We've got exactly what you seek, possibly the most versatile frameset ever: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/surly-karate-
> monkey.html

Having had a look at http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/surly-rohloff/index.html all I can say is that
you Sir are sick, sick, sick :)

Stanb Cox

Stan Cox wrote:

> Having had a look at http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/surly-rohloff/index.html all I can say is that
> you Sir are sick, sick, sick :)

Yep, never denied it. That one is a demo, but I'm doing something similar on my new Thorn Raven
tourer, though without the disc brakes...

Sheldon "More" Brown +------------------------------------------------+
| Nobody who has anything to do with bicycles | has _all_ of their marbles, and some of us | are
| certifiable! | --Sheldon Brown |
+------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

"Jeff S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking to find a steel frame that is built for use with disc brakes.
> read about many frames displayed at this past fall's bike shows, but they were aluminum. Salsa,
> Redline, etc.
>
> Ideally this frame-to-be would have rack and fender eyelets. Sloping top tube and threadless
> headset would also be nice. Will I need to go custom?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Give Marinoni a call up in Canada (888-477-7133). They are doing their Turismo model this year with
a disc brake option. It's a steel bike (Columbus Zona), and Marinoni offers lots of customization
options as part of the standard offering. For a relatively small upcharge (~$150 Canadian), they
will do many of their frames in a custom geometry if your fitting says you need custom. You can get
a frame or a complete bike, and they very much Qui si parla Campagnolo (I believe they are also the
Canadian distributor for Campagnolo) if that is your preference. They make a very nice bike, and a
great value as well.

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 11:35:13 -0500, "Jeff S." <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm looking to find a steel frame that is built for use with disc brakes. I read about many frames
>displayed at this past fall's bike shows, but they were aluminum. Salsa, Redline, etc.
>
>Ideally this frame-to-be would have rack and fender eyelets. Sloping top tube and threadless
>headset would also be nice. Will I need to go custom?
>
>Thanks in advance.

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.on-one.co.uk/products/gearedinbred.shtml

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts Your milage may vary

Sheldon Brown wrote:
> Jeff S. wrote:
>
>> I'm looking to find a steel frame that is built for use with disc brakes. I read about many
>> frames displayed at this past fall's bike shows, but they were aluminum. Salsa, Redline, etc.
>>
>> Ideally this frame-to-be would have rack and fender eyelets. Sloping top tube and threadless
>> headset would also be nice. Will I need to go custom?
>

> We've got exactly what you seek, possibly the most versatile frameset ever: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/surly-karate-
> monkey.html

Versatile except for choice of off-road tires.

Greg

Tomasz Barczyk wrote:

>> It won't be really complete until you put a triple crank on it, though. (42 speeds, not as many
>> as the old 63-speed you built, but still lots.)
>>

> Wouldn't work, no derallieur. With a desent derallieur however let's see: 8 speed in the back,
> triple in the front and 14 speed Rochloff.... 336 speed!!!

Of course, it would probably be more interesting to figure out how many different gear ratios you
could get on one bike.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
- Mark Twain

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 15:51:22 -0500, Sheldon Brown
<[email protected]> may have said:

>Stan Cox wrote:
>
>> Having had a look at http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/surly-rohloff/index.html all I can say is
>> that you Sir are sick, sick, sick :)
>
>Yep, never denied it. That one is a demo, but I'm doing something similar on my new Thorn Raven
>tourer, though without the disc brakes...

It won't be really complete until you put a triple crank on it, though. (42 speeds, not as many as
the old 63-speed you built, but still lots.)

it's also possible that I'm busy.

Werehatrack wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 15:51:22 -0500, Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> may have said:
>

>>Stan Cox wrote:
>>

>>>Having had a look at http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/surly-rohloff/index.html all I can say is
>>>that you Sir are sick, sick, sick :)
>>
>>Yep, never denied it. That one is a demo, but I'm doing something similar on my new Thorn Raven
>>tourer, though without the disc brakes...
>

> It won't be really complete until you put a triple crank on it, though. (42 speeds, not as many as
> the old 63-speed you built, but still lots.)

Bah! What Sheldon needs is a triple chainrings on a Schlumpf two-speed BB/crank for an 84-speed
bicycle. ;)

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

> It won't be really complete until you put a triple crank on it, though. (42 speeds, not as many as
> the old 63-speed you built, but still lots.)

Wouldn't work, no derallieur. With a desent derallieur however let's see: 8 speed in the back,
triple in the front and 14 speed Rochloff.... 336 speed!!!

Tom B. Ottawa

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 18:13:12 -0600, Tom Sherman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Werehatrack wrote:

>>>Yep, never denied it. That one is a demo, but I'm doing something similar on my new Thorn Raven
>>>tourer, though without the disc brakes...
>>

>> It won't be really complete until you put a triple crank on it, though. (42 speeds, not as many
>> as the old 63-speed you built, but still lots.)
>
>Bah! What Sheldon needs is a triple chainrings on a Schlumpf two-speed BB/crank for an 84-speed
>bicycle. ;)
>
>Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

If he were a girl he would, but as a real man what he wants is 4 chainrings, two speed BB/crank and
7 sprockets on a 3speed hub for 168 gears. Was it Shimano or Sachs/SRAM who did that 7x3
derailleur/hub gear thing?

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts Your milage may vary

Thank you for recommending something other than the Karate Monkey. I chose not to mention it in my
post, thinking there may be several options.

I know the Karate Monkey. Unless they lose the green paint and unicrown fork, I will never consider
it. It also appears rather clunky.

If I went custom, I was thinking of Doug Curtiss of Curtlo Cycles in Washington state.

'Anything, but the Karate Monkey' should have been the title of my post.

"rosco" <reverse-the-following"ocsor_g"@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Jeff S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I'm looking to find a steel frame that is built for use with disc
brakes.
> > read about many frames displayed at this past fall's bike shows, but
they
> > were aluminum. Salsa, Redline, etc.
> >
> > Ideally this frame-to-be would have rack and fender eyelets. Sloping top tube and threadless
> > headset would also be nice. Will I need to go
custom?

> > Thanks in advance.
> >

> Give Marinoni a call up in Canada (888-477-7133). They are doing their Turismo model this year
> with a disc brake option. It's a steel bike (Columbus Zona), and Marinoni offers lots of
> customization options as part of the standard offering. For a relatively small upcharge (~$150
Canadian),
> they will do many of their frames in a custom geometry if your fitting
says
> you need custom. You can get a frame or a complete bike, and they very
much
> Qui si parla Campagnolo (I believe they are also the Canadian distributor for Campagnolo) if that
> is your preference. They make a very nice bike,
and
> a great value as well.

Oh, you mean a road bike? Because IF, Soulcraft, amongst other make steel mountain bikes with
disc tabs.

Kinky Cowboy wrote:

> ... Was it Shimano or Sachs/SRAM who did that 7x3 derailleur/hub gear thing?

Originally Sachs had a 2x6 hub (I believe) that was replaced by the 3x7 hub. [1] This was rebadged
the Spectro 3x7 when SRAM purchased Sachs. It has been replaced by the 3x8 and 3x9 DualDrive [2]
hubs, which have been redesigned internally for better shifting under load.

Shimano is supposedly coming out with its own 3x9 hub.

[1] Basically the Sachs Torpedo 3-speed internally geared hub with a 7-speed cassette
attached to it.
[2] <http://www.sram.com/pavement/dualdrive/index.asp>.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

In article <[email protected]>,
Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

> Kinky Cowboy wrote:
>
> > ... Was it Shimano or Sachs/SRAM who did that 7x3 derailleur/hub gear thing?
>
> Originally Sachs had a 2x6 hub (I believe) that was replaced by the 3x7 hub. [1] This was rebadged
> the Spectro 3x7 when SRAM purchased Sachs. It has been replaced by the 3x8 and 3x9 DualDrive [2]
> hubs, which have been redesigned internally for better shifting under load.
>
> Shimano is supposedly coming out with its own 3x9 hub.
>
> [1] Basically the Sachs Torpedo 3-speed internally geared hub with a 7-speed cassette attached
> to it.
> [2] <http://www.sram.com/pavement/dualdrive/index.asp>.

I knew about the DualDrive, but even after reading their promo site, I don't particularly understand
the motivation. Is there really that much clamor to combine the weight and inefficiency of a gear
hub with the higher-maintenance and general fussiness of a derailleur?

I see they tout it for a variety of applications, but I thought having multiple front rings
(reducing chainline deviation when used well) was a good thing.

jeff-<< I'm looking to find a steel frame that is built for use with disc brakes. I read about many
frames displayed at this past fall's bike shows, but they were aluminum. >><BR><BR>

Soma makes one, their MTB one. Ya looking for a road/CX frame?

Custom, Mark Nobilette can do it.

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> wrote: ...
>>[2] <http://www.sram.com/pavement/dualdrive/index.asp>.
>

> I knew about the DualDrive, but even after reading their promo site, I don't particularly
> understand the motivation. Is there really that much clamor to combine the weight and inefficiency
> of a gear hub with the higher-maintenance and general fussiness of a derailleur?
>
> I see they tout it for a variety of applications, but I thought having multiple front rings
> (reducing chainline deviation when used well) was a good thing.

The DualDrive is likely not optimal for conventional road bikes or mountain bikes where conventional
double and triple cranks combined with a rear derailleur work very well in most situations.

The DualDrive (1.36:1 overdrive, 1:1 direct drive, 0.73:1 underdrive) will provide a greater gearing
range than most triple cranks. This is especially advantageous on small drive wheel folders and
recumbents, since oversize chainrings (e.g. 62-52-39) generally shift more poorly than smaller
chainrings. [1]

Having a single front chainring also allows the use of a partial chain cover/pant guard more readily
than a derailleur system on city bikes. It can also simplify folding operations on a folder.

The DualDrive can be used in conjunction with a front derailleur for a very wide gearing range. This
is mostly useful on trikes (very low gears may be used while climbing) and on faired recumbents
where the range of climbing to descending speeds is much greater than on an upright road bike.

[1] Front derailleur setup is also more difficult, since all production front derailleurs that I am
aware of are designed for smaller chainrings, so in stock form the curvature of the side plates
is too great.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

> Jeff S. wrote:
>
> > I'm looking to find a steel frame that is built for use with disc
brakes. I
> > read about many frames displayed at this past fall's bike shows, but
they
> > were aluminum. Salsa, Redline, etc.
> >
> > Ideally this frame-to-be would have rack and fender eyelets. Sloping top tube and threadless
> > headset would also be nice. Will I need to go
custom?

> We've got exactly what you seek, possibly the most versatile frameset ever: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/surly-karate-
> monkey.html

Is it not difficult getting the rear wheel and disc brake aligned?

Dave