Steel frame weights

Phill P

Jul 9, 2006
I'm considering going steel custom for my 30th bday present bike. Being that I'm 6'2 98kg I've been recommended to stick with zona, and for a 580ish top tube bike they are guessing around 1500gms for the frame!

Is that right? I tohught steel frames, spec lower grades of tubes push the weight of a larger frame upto 2000gms.

Yeah yeah whats 500gms when you weigh 98kg, its just that it didn't sound right.

I'd be amazed if a 58cm Zona was close to 1500g. I reckon a tigged 58cm Zona would be at least 1650g, but should be under 1800g. I weighed a 56 once, which I think was about 1680g. The weight difference between the new and old steels isn't that dramatic: I have 2 old, lugged 531 frames (58cm and 56cm) and they're both 1865g, and my new, super-dooper Columbus Ultra Foco Cervelo is 1670g, but the Cervelo has a slightly oversized down-tube. If I was buying another steel frame, I'd definitely look at 2nd hand; there are some AMAZING bargains going around because everybody seems to want carbon.

If you wanna spend a bit (a lot?) more, Reynolds have recently developed '953' stainless steel, which is supposed to be lighter and stronger

Having said all that, there's nothing wrong with Zona.
The 'cheaper' Columbus tube-sets, both steel and alu, are underrated -- they result in a much stronger frame for about a 200g weight "penalty".

Im not sure where you live, but custom is the way to go all the way, you will never regret it. I have a custom Ti and have never once looked back. Dont be fooled by those who say the 500g's is important, have a **** before you ride, youve saved at least a pound straight away.

Steal is real, look after it, and it will last forever. Definitely do your research though, most custom guys are pretty open about passing you onto other customers, try and speak to them, try their rides (even though their customs may feel odd), check the welds, paint and so on. Weight is important, but there are so many more important things to consider.

Another great thing about custom is (regardless of material) is that it will probably be a small business, employing high skilled crafts people with a passion for what they do.

BAUM 'ONE' I think it is called. It's probably due to the weight. It is made out of reynolds 953 and weighs a kilo for a medium compact frame.

bobbyOCR said:
BAUM 'ONE' I think it is called. It's probably due to the weight. It is made out of reynolds 953 and weighs a kilo for a medium compact frame.
The Pinarello Opera is listed at 1,585 grams (this is probably for their smallest frame) and it is made of Deda 16.5 eom steel. I have a 57 cm model. I never weighed just the frame since I didn't need to know badly enough to remove the fork and headset. I will say this, fully built with Record 10 (including carbon cranks), Campy Eurus wheels speedplay X2 pedals, Tacx Tao cages. 3TTT Less XL bar/stem and selle san marco aspide saddle, It comes in at 18 Lbs 3 oz. I could probably get it a little lighter, but I'm about 100kg, so I wouldn't want to sacrifice stiffness.

PeterF said:
The Pinarello Opera is listed at 1,585 grams (this is probably for their smallest frame) and it is made of Deda 16.5 eom steel. I have a 57 cm model. I never weighed just the frame since I didn't need to know badly enough to remove the fork and headset. I will say this, fully built with Record 10 (including carbon cranks), Campy Eurus wheels speedplay X2 pedals, Tacx Tao cages. 3TTT Less XL bar/stem and selle san marco aspide saddle, It comes in at 18 Lbs 3 oz. I could probably get it a little lighter, but I'm about 100kg, so I wouldn't want to sacrifice stiffness.
BTW, the Opera rides like a dream.

I built myself a 580 TT frame from Zona but with Life (lighter than Zona) seat and chainstays. This weighed 1750g (not including forks) I would suggest that 1500g is very optomistic. I would guess it is nearer 1800g. For info a Reynolds 631/725 frame of the same size was 1998g. I am only 76 kg so you might need thicker guage tubes and hence a heavier frame.

Phill P said:
I'm considering going steel custom for my 30th bday present bike. Being that I'm 6'2 98kg I've been recommended to stick with zona, and for a 580ish top tube bike they are guessing around 1500gms for the frame!

Is that right? I tohught steel frames, spec lower grades of tubes push the weight of a larger frame upto 2000gms.

Yeah yeah whats 500gms when you weigh 98kg, its just that it didn't sound right.

Pie in the sky said:
I built myself a 580 TT frame from Zona but with Life (lighter than Zona) seat and chainstays. This weighed 1750g
was that with big aero tubes?

Phill P said:

My vote is for a frame with some stiffness and strength, not a wimpy wobbly that only looks good on the scales. You could maybe find a custom builder who would build you a frame in S3 or some other ultra-thinwall race tubeset, but at your size, weight, and intended useage, believe you might find it too wimpy. I'd go for stiffness, strength and good fatigue life over some thin-wall steel tubeset that dings if it falls over on the bars.

If you're looking at a steel frame in size 58, why worry about a couple of hundred extra grams? I'm sure you realize an AL frame or CF frame would be lighter for the same stiffness, but so what? With Zona steel, you'll have a tough frame that should serve you many years and look cool as well.

Note, my newer bike is a AL/CF custom frame in size 58. My builder recommended the same approach: Columbus Zonal Megatubes vs their thinner-wall AL tubesets. He said I'd have a frame that was wobble-free and solid on 55 mph descents, and it certainly is. It came in a 1300 grams. Could have saved up to 200 grams with the thinnest stuff, but it's a poor trade-off, particularly for us bigger riders (6', 80kg here).